The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Default NGD & NAD - Fender '68 Custom PR & G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy

Have been researching 2 items over the past several months: Fender Princeton Reverb and a Tele style guitar.

Enjoyed reading the recent threads related to '65 Reissue and '68 Custom PR's. Very helpful information in those threads. Also, supplemented by watching a few YouTube reviews. Finally ordered the '68 Custom PR. I'm still waffling back and forth between the two amps (in my mind), but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice for me.

At the same time, I've been wanting to put a neck humbucker in my G&L ASAT Tribute but in the end, didn't feel like attempting the mod. Besides, it is the only guitar I have with a single coil in the neck position.

So, I started checking out used G&L ASAT's and Fender Tele's. Ended up buying a G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy (semi hollow) with rosewood fingerboard finished in red burst. Original owner purchased with stock G&L humbucker but with a Dimarzio Chopper T bridge p/u.

Now, counting the minutes until the whole ensemble arrives.

Last edited by Livingston; 11-17-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Congrats! Great looking guitar. Be sure to let us know what you think after spending some time with ‘em!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-18-2018, 08:20 AM

Sweet! Congrats and looking forward to the review.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:56 AM

I think you'll be pleased with the G&L Tribute. I recently purchased a new left-over Ascari GT90 (also a Tribute, despite that it's not part of G&L's USA catalog, or like anything from another maker) and I was surprised it arrived in tune after being boxed (new) for 2+ years, and pleased that it already was set for decent lowish action with no fret buzz, no sharp fret ends, and no imperfections of any kind that I could find. This, in contrast to 2 Epiphone 339s (1 used, 1 new) that both need fret work to be buzz-free at lowish action, and the new one has barbed wire fret ends. I hate it when they leave part of the manufacturing process to me.

Have fun with your new/cool rig.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 AM

great choices, both amp and guitar
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM

Sweet looking Bluesboy!

BTW, I see Sweetwater and MF both have incredible $649 deals on some Supros (normal retail around $1,200).
Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM

I own 2 G&L Tributes. I would be shocked if you didn't like yours.

Congrats.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-19-2018, 05:49 PM

Many USA guitar companies sub out products to asian manufacturers to bring some guitars into the lower price points, but I think G&L tribute guitars are the most like their USA comparative models. I've been very impressed with the ones that I've played and that is coming from someone that has owned a few USA ASATs and Legacy guitars. Currently one of my favorite guitars is a Legacy. I think the tributes are GREAT deals and GREAT guitars. Congrats on a wise purchase!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Received my G&L ASAT Tribute Classic Bluesboy a couple days ago! Still awaiting the '68 Custom PR.

Beautiful guitar...couldn't be more please. Flawless Red Burst finish...gorgeous! Photos do not do this guitar justice.

Had also ordered a Kent Armstrong 12-pole PAF handwound pickup. Original quest was for a Tele style guitar with neck humbucker as a sort of solid body (or semi hollow in this case) jazz guitar...inspired by Bill Frisell, Ted Greene, Ed Bickert and Julian Lage.

Installed the KA p/u last night. Dialed in pole pieces. Guitar sounds wonderful! KA 12-pole is very focused, clear and warm. I think this is going to make a fantastic jazz-esque guitar.

Interestingly, this guitar came with a DiMarzio Chopper T in the bridge. Not familiar but did a couple of searches on YouTube. Interesting p/u. Tried it with a couple of pedals and it sounds wonderful. Interesting combo with KA 12-pole PAF in the neck and Chopper T in the bridge.

Now, anxiously awaiting for part 2 - the Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb amp...ETA Monday, November 26.

Kent Armstrong 12-pole PAF neck and DiMarzio Chopper T bridge

Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Man that is a awesome looking ASAT and hope you enjoy it. I really like that red burst color.

I've recently begun researching for the purchase of a tele style guitar as you may see in my other thread. I've looked at a lot of G&Ls that are high up on my list.

Question - you already own a tribute as well with single coil at he neck? Curious to why you seek the humbucker. A lot of th G&Ls color options I like have this humbucker and I really wanted to just stay single coil since I already have a Les Paul with dual humbuckers.

Thanks
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Man that is a awesome looking ASAT and hope you enjoy it. I really like that red burst color.

I've recently begun researching for the purchase of a tele style guitar as you may see in my other thread. I've looked at a lot of G&Ls that are high up on my list.

Question - you already own a tribute as well with single coil at he neck? Curious to why you seek the humbucker. A lot of th G&Ls color options I like have this humbucker and I really wanted to just stay single coil since I already have a Les Paul with dual humbuckers.

Thanks
Hi P21,

As you mention, I also have the G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic. It has the 2 x G&L MFD single coil pickups and a maple fingerboard. I do really love the sound of this guitar but it is the guitar I probably play the least.

I didn't respond to your Tele thread because I don't really know enough about the nuances of the various Tele or Tele-like models to make a recommendation.

I did once own a Fender Squier Tele. It seemed to have more twang than my ASAT. In some respects, I almost feel like the ASAT sounds more like a Strat than a Tele...but again, keep in mind I'm not an expert on single coil guitars.

In my case, I was inspired by certain jazz guitarists who played Telecasters, and was interested to add a guitar to my collection, that might sound more like a jazz style Tele. I was unable to find that in the single coil ASAT.

While I know that Bill Frisell and Julian Lage play single coil Teles, I decided to seek out an ASAT (or Tele) that had a neck humbucker (like Ed Bickert). I played several at local guitar shops, and listened/watched to as many YouTube videos as possible.

So far I think the ASAT Classic Bluesboy was a good choice for me, for the kind of tone and sustain was looking for. I like the "fatter", warmer sound of the PAF, and I especially like the focussed clarity of the Kent Armstrong 12-pole pickup. Plus, the Bluesboy feels lighter than my ASAT Classic...so that's a bonus.

When I get my Fender '68 Custom PR amp, I'll do my best to post a video so folks can hear this guitar.

I think you are on the right track in your search. You already have a Les Paul and are now looking for more of a single coil sound. The challenge is, there is such a wide range of Tele sounds (and Strats for that matter).

I guess my only suggestion (not being an expert on single coil guitars) would be to watch and listen to as many Teles on YouTube and other sites as possible. Hopefully you will hear something that sounds like what you are looking for. Seems like there are lots of great choices out there in your price range.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing about your final selection.

Best regards,
Darryl
Old 11-25-2018, 06:27 PM

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't have enough experience to be an expert on tone and your information here is helpful.

The research for me continues. ....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars