The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-10-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Good info. It could also be the larger magnet on the Celestion picked up more electrical hum from surrounding components, in this case specifically the power bar, than the stock speaker.

I notice the generation three Mustang GT-100 rated at 100 watts comes stock with a Fender special design Celestion 12” speaker which you have mentioned from other reports is a good performer that doesn’t require upgrading. The amp has 5/8ths plywood cabinet and weighs in at a mere 22lbs. Sounds like a winner for home use.
Pump the brakes, there, Jaden! I've not done the research myself, but the intheblues guy is a student of the GT-100 and I know he had real concerns, sent his back, etc. Here's his latest video within the last 2 wks in which he evaluates the new firmware that may have fixed his concerns (I haven't watched it). In short, until you're satisfied there are no remaining issues, hold off on the GT-100.

As for my amp's original speaker, it's probably 3 pounds lighter than the Celestion. I put it away today and it came up light as a feather.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Pump the brakes, there, Jaden! I've not done the research myself, but the intheblues guy is a student of the GT-100 and I know he had real concerns, sent his back, etc. Here's his latest video within the last 2 wks in which he evaluates the new firmware that may have fixed his concerns (I haven't watched it). In short, until you're satisfied there are no remaining issues, hold off on the GT-100.

As for my amp's original speaker, it's probably 3 pounds lighter than the Celestion. I put it away today and it came up light as a feather.
Good review by Shane, the ‘intheblues’ guy - right off the bat he sets the amp to treble cut* which I would think would compromise the 3d quality he’s aiming for but by the end of the demo he gives it a very positive thumbs up, saying it’s light weight, loud and versatile. Thanks for posting this.

*bright cut

Last edited by Jaden; 11-11-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Good review by the intheblues guy - right off the bat he sets the amp to treble cut which I would think could compromise the 3d quality he’s aiming for but by the end of the demo he gives it a very positive thumbs up, saying it’s light weight, loud and versatile. Thanks for posting this.
That's good news. I know he was very hard on the GT100 when it first came out. He was a huge Mustang III fan and built lots of presets for it. He used it live, recording, the whole thing. He had issues with some aspect(s) of the GT100 and sent his back, and I think he had some discussions with Fender about the issue, after which the new firmware issued. He's got several GT100 videos, so consider taking a look at those before making any decision.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 AM

The first couple of minutes of that demo (above) by Shane is achieving cult status for morning wake up w/ a cup of coffee around my place while my dog looks on patiently. Good presentation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars