The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Hybrids - any advise/experience

Anyone have experience with any of the hybrids? Taylor T5/Parkwood/Crafters/etc? I'm looking for tips on what works, what doesn't, likes/dislikes, than sort of input.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM

I was close to buying a Taylor T5 a few years back. The electric sounds are really cool. The "acoustic" sound is close. I owned a PRS with the piezo option and it was kind of the same deal -- great electric guitar, decent impression of an acoustic. It sounded a LOT better through an acoustic amp, and better still after running it through an acoustic pedal, and you could probably get the same result from a T5. I would see if you can try a Fender Acoustasonic Tele, the one with the rosewood "Tele" bridge plate and the Twisted Tele " neck pickup. I have heard the acoustic sounds are great, and I love that neck pickup.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 AM

I was looking hard at the Godin A6 Ultra.

The acoustic sounds are good (not great) when blending in a little of the neck HB. Not very versatile as an electric though.

I decided on using an acoustic simulator pedal, a Mooer from MF. Sounds very similar to the tones available in the Godin and cost 51 bucks. Still gives me all my electric capability too.

After all my research on the available options, many seem to do some things great and others so-so. The exception is the T5 and talked to a couple of guys that said the switches on the T5 were not robust enough for gigging long term. Since they seem like compromises anyway, the pedal seems like the most affordable and common sense approach FOR ME. YMMV

It is not a perfect solution, but none of the others were either. Perfectly fits the niche for acoustic tones during a mostly electric set.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars