The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-10-2018, 04:31 AM

Default Iconic Instruments - Isaac Guillory's 1969 Martin D35s

Hello everyone,

I have just uploaded the first in a new series of "Iconic Instruments" videos on my YouTube channel. This guitar will be immediately familiar to fans of the late Isaac Guillory.

If you're not familiar with Isaac's music then I urge you to look him up on YouTube, he was an incredible talent and a generous mentor to me as I was coming up.

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Wonderful, Michael!! Thanks for sharing and playing!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 PM

Wow! How cool is that! The tone is magnificent, and so was Isaac!

I had the pleasure of corresponding with him by e-mail back in the late 90's shortly before his passing. He was unfailingly charming, polite, gentle, and knowledgeable.

I'm very envious, but it's so nice to see it being used by someone who knows what he has, and, knows what to do with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Wow Michael!

That was wonderful! Wonderful playing, wonderful piece you played, and that is one great sounding guitar, too!

Was that piece something you made up or ??? Very cool, wherever it came from!

I have a 1967 Martin D-35 made from BRW, so it's fascinating for me to listen to that D-35S and hear the differences. For me, the D-35S really benefits from that 12-fret neck design to fatten up the trebles a little over the D-35. I like the sound a great deal!!

Wow! That was just great! And how terrific that that guitar is now going back to Isaac Guillory's son!

Oh, and did I mention how much I appreciate the audio quality on your videos??!! Well done!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wonderful, Michael!! Thanks for sharing and playing!!
And thank you for watching, I'm glad enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
Wow! How cool is that! The tone is magnificent, and so was Isaac!

I had the pleasure of corresponding with him by e-mail back in the late 90's shortly before his passing. He was unfailingly charming, polite, gentle, and knowledgeable.

I'm very envious, but it's so nice to see it being used by someone who knows what he has, and, knows what to do with it.
He was a very special man. I talk a little bit about my own first contact with him in this video.

It's been a privilege looking after "Junior" and while I'll miss it I know it belongs with Isaac's family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow Michael!

That was wonderful! Wonderful playing, wonderful piece you played, and that is one great sounding guitar, too!

Was that piece something you made up or ??? Very cool, wherever it came from!

I have a 1967 Martin D-35 made from BRW, so it's fascinating for me to listen to that D-35S and hear the differences. For me, the D-35S really benefits from that 12-fret neck design to fatten up the trebles a little over the D-35. I like the sound a great deal!!

Wow! That was just great! And how terrific that that guitar is now going back to Isaac Guillory's son!

Oh, and did I mention how much I appreciate the audio quality on your videos??!! Well done!

- Glenn
Thank you Glenn, that's very kind. The piece I'm playing is The Unfair Funfair from my album VETIVER. Although I spent many years wishing I could play like Isaac I think it's fair to say that my time with his guitar just highlights my own style.

There's something about 12-fret guitars, and especially the 3-piece back D35's already have a lot going on.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-12-2018, 12:16 PM

Michael, thanks so much for posting this. Now, I'm going to take you in the way back machine. I saw Issac perform live in the late sixties in a very underrated Chicago area band called the "Cryan' Shames" There were great live. Issac wrote and arranged about half of the band's last album for Columbia, "Synthesis". Nearly 50 years later it still sounds fresh and new....I listen to it quite often. I always wondered what happened to Issac. Thanks to Mr Google I discovered he had left for Europe where he had a great career as a solo guitarist and performer. I did manage to find a solo alum of his on E-Bay called "Side One" six or seven years ago. Thanks again for bringing a great player, writer and arranger back into the discussion. I can certainly hear his influences in your playing which should be a rightful source of pride for you.
Keb Mo 00, J-35 Collectors Edition, 12-Fret AJ,
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12
Rainsong C1100-NS, Recording King RP 626 Schoenberg

Last edited by Rip VanWinkle; 07-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:41 PM

Awesome, love it..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VanWinkle View Post
Michael, thanks so much for posting this. Now, I'm going to take you in the way back machine. I saw Issac perform live in the late sixties in a very underrated Chicago area band called the "Cryan' Shames" There were great live. Issac wrote and arranged about half of the band's last album for Columbia, "Synthesis". Nearly 50 years later it still sounds fresh and new....I listen to it quite often. I always wondered what happened to Issac. Thanks to Mr Google I discovered he had left for Europe where he had a great career as a solo guitarist and performer. I did manage to find a solo alum of his on E-Bay called "Side One" six or seven years ago. Thanks again for bringing a great player, writer and arranger back into the discussion. I can certainly hear his influences in your playing which should be a rightful source of pride for you.
Hello Rip,

that's a great story! Yes Isaac was in the Cryan Shames (on bass I believe at the time) before working with Pacific Eardrum and then his sideman career working with the likes of Mick Jagger, Joan Baez and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Awesome, love it..
I just found this video of the man (and his guitar) in action at the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test

Thanks for watching!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Last edited by Michael Watts; 07-14-2018 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 07-14-2018, 07:49 AM

That was wonderful in every way, composition, playing, guitar.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
That was wonderful in every way, composition, playing, guitar.
Thank you for watching, it does mean a lot to me
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi, some of you might know that I like 12 fret guitars right? The reason that I play 12 fretters is Isaac!

I'd bought a Martin j-40 1 &11/16" nut width and a very shallow profile and I had discovered that I couldn't play my style on it like I could on my old D35.

I was opening for Isaac and mentioned my problem - he handed me that d35-s (1 & 7/8" nut - instantly I cud lay what I wanted to and even easier than on my old D35!

It took me some time to find my ideal guitar - which urned out to be a Collings but I eventually found a D35-s too.

Isaac would always give time and encouragement to fans, fellow players etc.

Here he is playing that Martin :

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 07-14-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wonderful song, wonderful and expressive playing, Michael. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Also, as I wasn’t previously familiar with Mr. Guillory, I now have new music to seek out!
Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 PM

When someone’s got that “it”, that “something”, there’s no doubt.
Both Mr. Guillory and Mr. Watts have “ it” !
Thanks for posting.
Don
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful tribute Michael on a stellar instrument, thank you for gifting us with this! ...Isaac was pretty awesome on that ol' Takamine I've seen him play, love his bends, bluesy runs and tasty use of delay. Issac lived in my neck of the woods here in N. Florida area; Palatka and Gainsville.

Cheers Michael,

eric
Old 07-23-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Wonderful song, wonderful and expressive playing, Michael. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Also, as I wasn’t previously familiar with Mr. Guillory, I now have new music to seek out!
I'm always happy to introduce people to Isaac's work. He was a unique talent and we can all learn a great deal from his sense of musicality. Do spread the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
When someone’s got that “it”, that “something”, there’s no doubt.
Both Mr. Guillory and Mr. Watts have “ it” !
Thanks for posting.
Don
You're very kind, thank you for watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Beautiful tribute Michael on a stellar instrument, thank you for gifting us with this! ...Isaac was pretty awesome on that ol' Takamine I've seen him play, love his bends, bluesy runs and tasty use of delay. Issac lived in my neck of the woods here in N. Florida area; Palatka and Gainsville.

Cheers Michael,

eric
Hi Eric,

Great to find another Guillory enthusiast here on the AGF. If I remember rightly that Takamine is now with his daughter. It was one of the first of that model ever made too. Great guitar on its own right.

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell