The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 07:32 PM

Default Is this custom Martin okay?

It’s a long story. I purchased a custom shop 00-12 fret two years ago that had a slipped truss rod from the factory and the neck was warped, causing a depression in the top at the fretboard extension and the guitar was deemed unrepairable. I was able to commission a replacement build far and away much nicer than the original which arrived a few weeks ago. 21-series inspired, full hide glue, authentic bracing, EIR/Adi, Koa binding, etc. Everything came out really nice *except* that it was built with a 25.4” scale. I know that Martin 00 guitars almost always are short scale. I was told the custom shop would rebuild it if I wanted. But it sounds great. My question is: are there respectable builders that build 00 12-fret long-scale guitars? While not “traditional”, is this guitar unique and cool, or awkward and wrong? I know it’s a very subjective question, but I was hoping you would all weigh-in.. Thanks and here are a few pics:
Old 08-09-2022, 07:52 PM

To be honest, if the custom shop messed my order up twice, I would be looking elsewhere. And you are looking at a very niche resale market with a guitar like that if you decide to move on.

However, if you feel it has the potential to be a lifetime keeper, then by all means, keep it!

Only you can answer that.
Fraulini Erma #19
Old 08-09-2022, 07:52 PM

It looks fabulous. If it plays easy for you and sounds good, who cares whether it’s not short scale or doesn’t the standard 00 specs. That sounds like a great and very cool guitar. If I liked it I would keep it.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Definitely unique & cool! Many respectable builders build 00s long scale, even if Martin seldom does. There's no reason not to, it's a matter of personal choice really. IMO a 00 in long scale sounds less boxy than one in short scale. Viva la difference!
Steve
Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 PM

Well, if it sounds really great, I would find it "unique and cool."
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 PM

That guitar is excessively cool. The orange tint to the headstock inlay looks absolutely ace.

Only you can decide whether or not the scale length is a dealbreaker, but I love what you ended up with regardless.

[Edit] Also, a volute and a rear headstock stamp? You're a man of taste.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 PM

The only thing “wrong” that I see is that that top came from a decidedly sick tree. It is beautiful. If it were mine it would be a lifetime keeper.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:48 PM

If you like the way it plays and sounds, who cares what others think, if it’s good, it’s good.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

That’s a beautiful guitar.

If I remember correctly Larrivee 00’s have the longer scale length.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Send it to me for 6 months. I'll decide for you. I'll even pay shipping!
Steve
Old 08-10-2022, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

So if you like the sounds, its a keeper. As a bonus, you get a very unique Martin that few can say they own.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful guitar!

My Martin Custom Shop 0000-18 12 fret is long scale and it sounds fantastic. It's the kind of guitar that you just can't put down. As far as I know, Martin has always built 12 fret guitars with long scale. You wrote that martin 00 guitars are always short scale but this is a 12 fret. You might find a short scale 12 fretter to be too soft sounding.

If you like the way this one sounds and plays, I'd say stay with what you like rather than taking a chance on another.

Last edited by lowrider; 08-10-2022 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:53 AM

Gorgeous guitar!

A few months ago a long scale 12 fret 00 Collings came into my shop for a setup and it was hands down the nicest guitar to come in in the last year or so. Great combo.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi DJP, you are the judge.
You are correct in saying that 12 fret 00 models had the 24.9" scale, and if that is what you specified, them Martin simply got it wrong and should correct the error.
I'm not sure I'd be happy with them altering the instrument that you have and would suggest that ey build another one to spec.

However, if you LIKE this instrument and are happy wit the feel of the 25.4" scale then simply tell them that you will reluctantly accept it for a significant financial apology.

That's my two new pennies.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:55 AM

"Are there respectable builders that build 00 12-fret long-scale guitars? While not “traditional”, is this guitar unique and cool, or awkward and wrong? "

Of course, most any respectable builder can provide either long or short scale. They build what the customer wants; it's what keeps them in business.

Is it unique and cool, awkward or wrong? Not especially one way or the other - as far I am concerned.

The important thing is how it sounds, plays, feels and looks to you. Do you like it? How does it sound to you? How does it play and feel? Are you satisfied with its looks? If you answer "yes", you have a keeper. If you think "no" best suits it, then look elsewhere.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion