The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 09:16 PM

Default To buy more strings or not...

My guitar has had three sets of strings on it. The factory set started sounding off, and I did a horrible job with the second set (I lived with a loose low E string for entirely too long). Both sets lasted a little over three weeks. I have another three sets on-hand (all are phosphor bronze), but as crazy as things are, I was thinking it might be prudent to pick up a few more sets...especially as D'Addario and probably Ernie Ball are locked down for who knows how long. One thing I don't want to do is be that guy who's hoarding a bunch of strings; I'd only be buying between three and five sets. Would I be wise to add a few sets, or should I have enough to last me a while?

And if buying new strings is a wise idea, any suggestions on some I could try? I play country on a cheap dreadnought, and I prefer warmth to brightness. Light gauge strings have been good so far, but I'm not averse ti switching to mediums. D'Addario EJ16s have left that odd graphite-like gunk on many of my picks, but otherwise I've been pretty happy with them
Old 03-27-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Unless you’re buying 100+ sets of the same strings I don’t think you have to worry about being a string hoarder. Those companies make a ton of strings and they’re sold by a bunch of different businesses across the country that are still open. Even if they’ve stopped making their strings, I would imagine there are plenty to go around for a bit. I just bought 12 sets of EJ-16’s from CME, and based on a couple messages I exchanged with them it didn’t seem like they were concerned about running out any time soon.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:38 PM

What's the guitar and what's your style/preferred sound? I have had at least a dozen sets of strings delivered over the past week. No issues. When I'm trying strings I buy 2 sets of each string. That way when I find the ones, can come back with the extra set. Then - order 6-12 for changes.

If you liked the factory strings, you can always go back there.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 PM

Once I find strings that I like, I buy them in bulk. At least 10 to 12 sets at a time. Been doing this for many years.
If strings do become short in supply, I will be ok for at least a year.

The trick is finding strings that you will enjoy having multiple sets of.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

It wouldn't hurt to buy a few more sets given the current situation. There are many good brands of strings you can try. If you like a warm sounding string, DR Rares are good. I also like Martin Phosphor Bronze strings. If you want to try something different, you can try some Martin Retros or D'addario Nickel Bronzes.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Strings MI View Post
My guitar has had three sets of strings on it. The factory set started sounding off, and I did a horrible job with the second set (I lived with a loose low E string for entirely too long). Both sets lasted a little over three weeks. I have another three sets on-hand (all are phosphor bronze), but as crazy as things are, I was thinking it might be prudent to pick up a few more sets...especially as D'Addario and probably Ernie Ball are locked down for who knows how long. One thing I don't want to do is be that guy who's hoarding a bunch of strings; I'd only be buying between three and five sets. Would I be wise to add a few sets, or should I have enough to last me a while?

And if buying new strings is a wise idea, any suggestions on some I could try? I play country on a cheap dreadnought, and I prefer warmth to brightness. Light gauge strings have been good so far, but I'm not averse ti switching to mediums. D'Addario EJ16s have left that odd graphite-like gunk on many of my picks, but otherwise I've been pretty happy with them
I wouldn’t worry about it. Buy as many sets as you want/can. I go through them like crazy on my electrics.

Strings are like ammo, you can never have too much.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Strings are like ammo, you can never have too much.
That's a great musical quote!

I haven't explored a lot of different strings. Both my guitars sound great with 80/20s and Phosphor Bronze lights, so I haven't tried anything else. I have like 14 sets left. I love Elixir and D'addario EXPs.

Next string purchase, I'm going to try something with nickel, try Monels, and I want to try aluminum.

I think that the stores should be opening again by mid May at the latest.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 AM

I like to get my strings in 5- or 6-packs once I find a brand, model and gauge that I like. It's a great value going that route. I buy my EB Earthwoods that way from Pitbull Audio. Great guys to buy anything guitar-related from. I've had PB medium-lights of various brands on my HD-28 (I've cycled through about five different brands in four months) but am settling on EB's medium-light gauge (different than other brand light-mediums or true mediums). I just got five packs of EB Paradigm PBs on ebay recently (a good deal at $40) but yesterday put on my last pack of Earthwood 80/20s. First time the Martin has had something other than PBs.

After yesterday's re-string, I still have four packs of Paradigms, a pack of GHS Americana True Medium PBs, and a pack of Martin Authentic Acoustic SP MA545 light/medium that I'm dying to try after the current set. MY current stock is on the low end compared to some of our friends here.

"Hoarding"...............?

2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
What's the guitar and what's your style/preferred sound?
The guitar is a Fender CD-60S. I like a warm sound, but being a country player, twang is also desirable. Ideally, I would at least find a happy medium in that regard. Long string life is also a desirable attribute.

When I find the strings I like, I will buy them in bulk...I've found my preferred picks, but I have quite a stash of those to go through. I guess it couldn't hurt to pick up at least a few more sets of strings.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

This might be an opportunity to support your local guitar store. While they might be closed, give 'em a call (or send 'em an email) anyway - a lot of places are getting creative with customer service. Every little bit helps.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
This might be an opportunity to support your local guitar store.
There is a shop in Berkley that I had planned on visiting. I'll get ahold of them before my next grocery pickup. The other local music store I've visited keeps strange hours, has a limited selection, and has so little parking that I only visit if I have an appointment at the VA within their operating hours.

Thank you for that suggestion!
Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Once I find strings that I like, I buy them in bulk. At least 10 to 12 sets at a time. Been doing this for many years.
If strings do become short in supply, I will be ok for at least a year.

The trick is finding strings that you will enjoy having multiple sets of.
This is what I do. Just checked and I've got 44 sets on the shelf. I think I'll be OK.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 AM

I have several sets of designated Resonator strings on hand as well as several sets for my Archtop Jazz Box which are special strings as well. Same with my electric.

All of my acoustics use either D’Addario EJ16 PB (12-53) or EJ24 PB True Medium (MLLLMM) Which I buy in bulk (10 or more sets) at a time.
I also keep an ample supply of D’Addario single strings on hand matching the gauges of the string sets I use.
I found the EJ24 PB at www.juststrings.com (No plug intended) which also has for sale an abundance of single strings from all the manufacturers.

So to address the OP’s original question:
Yes! Load up on the strings you will need. Many manufacturers package their strings in sealed plastic so they stay fresh for quite awhile. I would not worry about string hoarding.

Blues.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 AM

Can never have enough strings. Go get em!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

If you need strings, buy ‘em...though I doubt you need to hoard ‘em. As for me...well, I’ve already got enough string sets stashed around here to keep me strumming for years. So I guess I’ve been hoarding strings since before hoarding strings became a thing. I’ve always been kind of a trendsetter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion