The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-03-2016, 10:32 AM

I've been wanting to see these pics for several months since I first read about the build over on another forum. I have been pondering the adjustable neck/cantilevered and or raised fretboard designs for a while, and have only found a few good pictures by four or five builders(you have given a much more complete account of the process).
I did take the plunge and created a facebook account this morning so I could see all your photos.
Its a cool build. I do wonder if you used the axial strut because you wanted to move the sound hole to the side, or conversely, you moved the soundhole because you wanted to use an axial strut- sort of a chicken or the egg question? The axial strut seem more of an elegant engineering solution than the flying buttresses, so I might be inclined to guess it came first.
I really like the carbon fiber tube angled thru the neck heel. Its hard to imagine a heel can really bend(but I have read it does), I like that solution.
It just seems I need to try at least an adjustable neck to free up the top of the soundboard. Then maybe I can ease into that cantilever.
Thanks again for all your help. Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 AM

The sound hole location followed the axial strut, but I like experimenting with sound hole location, anyway. The first guitar I made has its main sound hole in a similar place and a side sound port. My unique ukes have sound holes in the side only, plus an access hole in the back (pics of those can be seen on my "Luthipoetic Musicography" facebook page linked below). So, it was natural for me to place the sound hole in an unconventional place on this guitar, and I knew it would work, acoustically.

If the fretboard extension is elevated and cantilevered, the heel most definitely will flex under string tension unless it's reinforced somehow. It doesn't take much flex there to really throw off the geometry.

Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/luthipoeticm...orksbytoddrose

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop