The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Here's the colour version so you have more realistic view:
You're the best. I was just going to ask whether you'd mind processing the colour version as well but didn't want to bother you.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:48 PM

If you want me to tweak it size-wise or anything just post what you want and I'll have a go. Here's a small version in case you might think along this line.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Hey Joe,

You must forgive me as I am going to be frank. You have decided to do a Olson guitar in vintage style which is a great idea and we will get to see an Olson of the 90s with all those classy appointments. However IMHO such a large pickguard may not look good even with the monkey!! I say this with a disclaimer as there is no telling what Jim will do with this idea, he may yet turn it into something unique and classy. I would have wanted a small pickguard like my Bourgeois show below.

If you wish I can contact Bonni Lloyd at Bourgeois guitar and try to get the source of their pickguards and then you can send it directly to Jim.

Best,

Keyshore
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
Hey Joe,

You must forgive me as I am going to be frank. You have decided to do a Olson guitar in vintage style which is a great idea and we will get to see an Olson of the 90s with all those classy appointments. However IMHO such a large pickguard may not look good even with the monkey!! I say this with a disclaimer as there is no telling what Jim will do with this idea, he may yet turn it into something unique and classy. I would have wanted a small pickguard like my Bourgeois show below.
Hi Keyshore,

I also own a Bourgeois which came with a nice looking firestripe pickguard. Except the radius of the pickguard doesn't match the radius of the rings around the sound hole, so I thrashed it. A lot of pickguards seem to have the same problem and I think it is pure negligence. The guitar is beyond excellent but that pickguard was a piece of junk. I don't know where they get their pickguards but I know I don't want another one from the same vendor.

As for the monkey, I know it's not America's favourite pet but hey, even Michael Jackson had one, so it can't be that weird, right?

My Chinese zodiac sign is actually dragon but I always preferred the monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
If you wish I can contact Bonni Lloyd at Bourgeois guitar and try to get the source of their pickguards and then you can send it directly to Jim.
Thank you for the offer. But after all this time in the industry, I won't insult Jim's resourcefulness by sending him a pickguard.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Hi Keyshore,

As for the monkey, I know it's not America's favourite pet but hey, even Michael Jackson had one, so it can't be that weird, right?

My Chinese zodiac sign is actually dragon but I always preferred the monkey.
Mau, it's your guitar...you don't need to justify it. Besides, if you went off the idea of a motif on the pickguard at some point and wanted to sell it, it's no great shakes to put another one on is it? If you didn't have done what you wanted, it wouldn't be a 'custom' guitar would it?

I think what you want is cool and personal.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Mau, it's your guitar...you don't need to justify it. Besides, if you went off the idea of a motif on the pickguard at some point and wanted to sell it, it's no great shakes to put another one on is it? If you didn't have done what you wanted, it wouldn't be a 'custom' guitar would it?

I think what you want is cool and personal.
Thanks for your support. It's a cool discussion to have anyway. And my decision isn't set in stone at this point.

When I was a kid, I really liked Michael Jackson but my parents didn't approve. Now I feel like sky is the limit.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I hereby christen this new Olson...

Bubbles.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Just had to reiterate how awesome this piece of BRW is. Amazing coloration and figure! How fortunate you are to have Jim building this SJ for you using it
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Astounding!!!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks, guys.

My guitar is probably one of the cheapest/plainest guitars to come out of the Olson shop this year -- but that didn't keep Jim from offering me (what I think is) an über fine piece of BRW.

I promised Jim I would play and cherish his guitars for decades to come and that I wouldn't trade them away. Between the Tree and this set of BRW, I am really spoiled.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
My guitar is probably one of the cheapest/plainest guitars to come out of the Olson shop this year -- but that didn't keep Jim from offering me (what I think is) an über fine piece of BRW.
Um "plain" and that set of BRW are mutually exclusive, my friend, no matter what guitar it's attached to
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Olson SJ BRW

Took the plunge Mau! Got on the list for one of Jim's last JT Signature SJ's. Hoping to see it around the time your SJ is completed. I understand the whole batch gets finished together. May be a long summer, however I trust it'll be worth the wait. Thank you for posting the potential availability of the last of these magnificent guitars.

Best regards,
Robert
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water cooled View Post
Took the plunge Mau! Got on the list for one of Jim's last JT Signature SJ's. Hoping to see it around the time your SJ is completed. I understand the whole batch gets finished together. May be a long summer, however I trust it'll be worth the wait. Thank you for posting the potential availability of the last of these magnificent guitars.

Best regards,
Robert
That's great news, Robert! You'll have no regrets.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water cooled View Post

Best regards,
Robert
Congrats, Robert. You got yourself a keeper.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Olson SJ BRW

Thank you both Jon and Mau. I made my decision based on lots of your input here on the forum. I'm truly very excited and can hardy wait. I'll see if I can ask Jim for a few photos even though I believe the guitars are well into the process, however it would be nice to just take a peek.

Robert
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop