The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Default NIPD New IPad Day

New IPad Day for frankie! 10.5" IPad pro 256gig.
So now... what can I do with this as far as recording? Anything, nothing? Lets talk about two guitars, two vocals(so minimum 4 tracks)TC Helicon Play Acoustic, Yamaha MG10XU mixer, a couple of SM57's & SM58's and a couple of Sennheiser 945's. Is any of this viable for recording onto/into an IPad?
OK cool cats, fire away! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chickee; 06-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
New IPad Day for frankie! 10.5" IPad pro 256gig.
So now... what can I do with this as far as recording? Anything, nothing? Lets talk about two guitars, two vocals(so minimum 4 tracks)TC Helicon Play Acoustic, Yamaha MG10XU mixer, a couple of SM57's & SM58's and a couple of Sennheiser 945's. Is any of this viable for recording onto/into an IPad?
OK cool cats, fire away! Thanks in advance.

*I've just spent the last four hours reading up on the benefits of recording with an IPad. The amount of written information is mind numbing. Please disregard this thread.
thank you,
frankie
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and recently started playing guitar. I'm considering buying an iPad Pro along with an Apogee Mic Plus to try out some recording and also use for tabs and music lessons.However I can't decide whether to get the iPad or a Macbook Pro.

Later on I might want to get a digital piano / keyboard and Ill only do simpler recordings as a hobby.

How are you liking your iPad? What are you using in terms of software and maybe recording equipment?

The reason I'm leaning towards the iPad is for mobility and flexibility.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Save up for the Mac Book Pro. Way too many limitations recording with an iPad. I think the iPad is great, just not for a recording device.
As far as convenience and mobility, think about it, whats the biggie schlepping around a 15" laptop as apposed to a 12.9"(the 10.5" is too small for real visual workspace-i can't see enough of the screens) iPad?
Then again YMMV. Just my feeling on this. For what the equipment and investment would cost to record(good interface, DAW and assorted plug-ins, mic's and accessories, stands, cables, on and on and on, go with the standard in home recording currently. Get a MacBook.
frankie

Oh and BTW-I just noticed this is your first post. Welcome aboard, BaconDanny! There are very, very knowledgeable people on this forum(I'm not one of them) so don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have. You will like it here a great deal.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Thank you for the input and the welcome! Seems like a great forum with a lot of good people!

Yeah I get what you're saying. It's just that the touchscreen and the other uses are so appealing. I already have a Surface Pro 4 and a powerful work laptop, so the new device would almost exclusively be used for music. And I want to use Apple software, otherwise I would try something on the Surface

Could you tell me more specifically what limitations you experience compared to the Mac version? I will only record acoustic guitar and song through the Apogee Mic+ and maybe later some digital piano/MIDI keyboard. And the mixing will be quite simple as I have zero experience in this field.

From some videos I've seen it seems to work very well for these things, but I also understand that it is a simpler version. I just can't find any real specific examples on where the Mac version is superior.

I appreciate your time mate!
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Yea I'm gonna be a fairly vocal dissenter here

My iPad/Apogee recording setup may well be the best rig I've ever used particularly when it comes to low track count acoustic sessions. Auria (recording software for iPad) is as capable and sophisticated as any music software out there, even for editing. The fact that it's a touch sensitive screen is a game changer. The rig is portable so I can move about the house looking for the best sounding spot to capture acoustic stuff. It's also a non "encumbering" rig that doesn't tether me to a computer, computer keyboard, computer mouse and or interface so streamlining the mic, mic stand and headphones is really easy. I worry far less about headphone cords and mic cables and all else that goes with a standard recording situation since it's so portable and physically flexible. The sessions will save to DropBox. They'll also save to AAF so transferring sessions at a later date to another DAW environment is easy.

Really the only drawback over my bigger rigs (and again this pertains more to low track-count acoustic sessions, as the iPad wouldn't be great for 100+ track situations) is storage must be managed more aggressively as it's finite on the iPad.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Connecting an Apogee mic or a digital piano will work great on the iPad. You will be very satisfied. I just can't see well enough to work 6 tracks at the same time on a screen that size. I need the ability to connect multiple monitors. Have fun on the forum!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

My iPad/Apogee recording setup may well be the best rig I've ever used particularly when it comes to low track count acoustic sessions. Auria (recording software for iPad) is as capable and sophisticated as any music software out there, even for editing. The fact that it's a touch sensitive screen is a game changer. The rig is portable so I can move about the house looking for the best sounding spot to capture acoustic stuff. It's also a non "encumbering" rig that doesn't tether me to a computer, computer keyboard, computer mouse and or interface so streamlining the mic, mic stand and headphones is really easy. I worry far less about headphone cords and mic cables and all else that goes with a standard recording situation since it's so portable and physically flexible. The sessions will save to DropBox. They'll also save to AAF so transferring sessions at a later date to another DAW environment is easy.

Really the only drawback over my bigger rigs (and again this pertains more to low track-count acoustic sessions, as the iPad wouldn't be great for 100+ track situations) is storage must be managed more aggressively as it's finite on the iPad.
Joseph, I agree with everything you said. One track recording is excellent on an iPad. I misunderstood BaconDanny's needs. I stand corrected.
frankie
Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input! You sort of described exactly what I am hoping for with the iPad [emoji16]

I will most likely only do maximum 4-5 tracks in a song (guitar, voice, maybe some drums or other beats and maaaaybe a keyboard) I think I am years away from doing more than that and chances are I mostly will do just single or dual tracks.

Tough decision! Hmm if I get the iPad I could also get a decent digital piano and still come away cheaper than the Macbook Pro.

How much space do you think is needed for an amateur newbie for some recording and other music stuff? I don't need to download any movies or photos to it so it's just for the music and maybe some streaming. Would I get by with 64 gig or should I put in the extra money for the 256? 512 would definitely be overkill for my needs

Last edited by BaconDanny; 06-14-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDanny View Post
Thanks for the input! You sort of described exactly what I am hoping for with the iPad [emoji16]

I will most likely only do maximum 4-5 tracks in a song (guitar, voice, maybe some drums or other beats and maaaaybe a keyboard) I think I am years away from doing more than that and chances are I mostly will do just single or dual tracks.

Tough decision! Hmm if I get the iPad I could also get a decent digital piano and still come away cheaper than the Macbook Pro.

How much space do you think is needed for an amateur newbie for some recording and other music stuff? I don't need to download any movies or photos to it so it's just for the music and maybe some streaming. Would I get by with 64 gig or should I put in the extra money for the 256? 512 would definitely be overkill for my needs
Well......a couple of things here. If you're looking to add an external digital piano then you'd have to consider a way to get that audio "into" the iPad. That would require something other than the Apogee as the Apogee of course "is" the sole interface. But I believe there are some really good grand piano programs that are iOS compatible. Probably sound as good (or better) than some stand alone piano's and much, much less costly. I think CMP has an Auria compatible piano.

As far as storage goes it's a bit of a throw-back to the original days of Non-linear digital DAW's here in that drive space on an iPad is limited. Before I even considered "how much space do I need" I'd pre-plan a way to get existing projects backed-up and stored elsewhere. Audio is certainly not as ridiculously as consumptive as video but it is consumptive. Just letting things pile up isn't a good idea. Like I mentioned I back things up to DropBox and in fact Auria has a built in function to auto back-up in that manner.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Well......a couple of things here. If you're looking to add an external digital piano then you'd have to consider a way to get that audio "into" the iPad. That would require something other than the Apogee as the Apogee of course "is" the sole interface. But I believe there are some really good grand piano programs that are iOS compatible. Probably sound as good (or better) than some stand alone piano's and much, much less costly. I think CMP has an Auria compatible piano.

As far as storage goes it's a bit of a throw-back to the original days of Non-linear digital DAW's here in that drive space on an iPad is limited. Before I even considered "how much space do I need" I'd pre-plan a way to get existing projects backed-up and stored elsewhere. Audio is certainly not as ridiculously as consumptive as video but it is consumptive. Just letting things pile up isn't a good idea. Like I mentioned I back things up to DropBox and in fact Auria has a built in function to auto back-up in that manner.
Yes the Apogee Mic+ will be used for guitar and voice and I realize I need some other interface for the digital piano (or is it possible to connect directly via USB adapter or bluetooth?). Maybe this works: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/products/irigpro/
Or am I getting it wrong?

I'm looking at a Roland FP-30 that looks like it could be a good option?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes the Apogee Mic+ will be used for guitar and voice and I realize I need some other interface for the digital piano (or is it possible to connect directly via USB adapter or bluetooth?). Maybe this works: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/products/irigpro/
Or am I getting it wrong?

I'm looking at a Roland FP-30 that looks like it could be a good option?
I think you have to be careful here. It appears that it's not a midi i/o

It appears that you can send midi data but not return it. I could be wrong however as the description is somewhat vague. If so that would limit your FP-30 sounds to recording to the iPad as audio only. Personally I'm much more comfortable with recording midi and then triggering audio. Other than that it of course would work as an audio interface when the Apogee wasn't present.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I think you have to be careful here. It appears that it's not a midi i/o

It appears that you can send midi data but not return it. I could be wrong however as the description is somewhat vague. If so that would limit your FP-30 sounds to recording to the iPad as audio only. Personally I'm much more comfortable with recording midi and then triggering audio. Other than that it of course would work as an audio interface when the Apogee wasn't present.
Ah I see. But there are digital pianos which can record to the iPad in midi? The reason I'm considering a digital piano and not a pure midi controller is I don't play the piano and want to start learning and also be able to have some music sessions with my wife and friends.

I started playing the guitar about two months and its been going quite well but excessive practicing has lead to some problems with the tendons in my left index finger being overworked (probably, I'm trying to get a doctor to look at it). This forces me to (very unwillingly) leave the guitar alone to let it heal. So I thought - maybe Ill try and learn the piano as well. This way I can play that if my finger continues to give me problems and at the same time I continue to learn music theory and everything around it, just on a different instrument.

So the recording part is purely for fun and also to learn more. But I want the setup to be good enough if I decide to record a song in a more serious manner. Am I making any sense? [emoji23]

Also, maybe a stupid question but.. Why does the piano have to be able to return the midi signal to be able to record it to the iPad? Doesn't it just have to send it?

Last edited by BaconDanny; 06-14-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:01 PM

I found this in the manual for the FP30. So then it seems that it can connect directly to the iPad (with a USB to lightning adapter) and be used directly as a midi controller in GarageBand? Does it then have a built in midi interface?

I'm confused [emoji23]
Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I found this in the manual for the FP30. So then it seems that it can connect directly to the iPad (with a USB to lightning adapter) and be used directly as a midi controller in GarageBand? Does it then have a built in midi interface?

I'm confused [emoji23]
That's work IF you're planing on sending midi data only to Garage Band. The lightning cable used to convert USB/Midi can't simultaneously pass midi and audio. I think you're better off looking into the iRig thingy you posted earlier and see if it'll send AND receive midi. If it does both (send and receive midi) then you can both record midi data into Garage Band and retrieve the internal audio sounds of the Roland.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
That's work IF you're planing on sending midi data only to Garage Band. The lightning cable used to convert USB/Midi can't simultaneously pass midi and audio. I think you're better off looking into the iRig thingy you posted earlier and see if it'll send AND receive midi. If it does both (send and receive midi) then you can both record midi data into Garage Band and retrieve the internal audio sounds of the Roland.
Okey that makes sense. I went to my local music store to have a look at it today and it felt, looked and sounded great (the store owner played it for me so I could hear how it's supposed to sound instead of me just randomly hammering the keys [emoji23])

I think I'm now decided on the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, Apogee Mic+ and the Roland FP30. The iRig can wait for later and I'll get it if I feel I need it. Thank you both for the help!

Now I just have to figure out where to put the piano in our already crammed apartment. And convince the wife that it deserves a place in our home [emoji16]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD