The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Anthem vs Amulet

These are two of my favorite pickup systems right now, so I did a little comparison/review video on them and what they sound like going direct, through a PA, with and without EQ.

Which do you like?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

These are also two of my favorites right now. I would be happy with either but I do like that the Trance has nothing in the Sound hole.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:50 PM

In my guitars, I prefer the Trance, although it does need a bit of reverb on it to give it some air.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:57 AM

In that video, it really shows how much more natural the Anthem is. Where the Amulet really falls apart IMO is with strumming. It very much brings out the piezo quality of it and since I strum a lot in my one band, it really didn't work. I find there's a big difference between a demo where someone strums vs. strumming live.

Unfortunately, neither pickup really worked for me but I think with pedals like the Voiceprint and Tonedexter out, it makes sense to go for the least invasive installation and then blend in some IR's.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the awesome video, Aaron! I had the Trance in a couple of Gibson's and it didn't sound nearly as good as yours. Also have used the Anthem in many guitars and for me its the best sounding aftermarket pickup, but I absolutely hate having that cream colored monster control unit in the sound hole. I know they have the smaller SL, but that one bugs me too. So picky. I really wish they'd find a way to make the controls less visible like Fishman (and most everyone else) does.

Last edited by cvmatt247; 01-28-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmatt247 View Post
I know they have the smaller SL, but that one bugs me too. So picky. I really wish they'd find a way to make the controls less visible like Fishman (and most everyone else) does.
Why don't you just do that mod on the SL? (here a picture I made with the Lyric control)

I don't think the plastic box has any electrical function...

Note that this is a mod that is 100% reversible. You can remove the double tape. Clean the gluer left-over, stick the controller back in the box very easily.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-28-2021, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Why don't you just do that mod on the SL? (here a picture I made with the Lyric control)

I don't think the plastic box has any electrical function...

Note that this is a mod that is 100% reversible. You can remove the double tape. Clean the gluer left-over, stick the controller back in the box very easily.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
That’s brilliant! Might have to give that a try.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think with pedals like the Voiceprint and Tonedexter out, it makes sense to go for the least invasive installation and then blend in some IR's.
I plan to do some IR creation and testing soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvmatt247 View Post
Thanks for the awesome video, Aaron! I had the Trance in a couple of Gibson's and it didn't sound nearly as good as yours. Also have used the Anthem in many guitars and for me its the best sounding aftermarket pickup, but I absolutely hate having that cream colored monster control unit in the soundhole. I know they have the smaller SL, but that one bugs me too. So picky. I really wish they'd find a way to make the controls less visible like Fishman (and most everyone else) does.
One big advantage of the Anthem is the very forgiving installation. While I had fairly easy success with my Trance install, that seems to not always be the case.

And I am with you on the big control unit being an eyesore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Why don't you just do that mod on the SL?
Cuki
This is a great idea for the SL. Not sure it would work for the full anthem. I wonder if even changing from the cream color to this darker color would help it hide. Are these darker faux tortoiseshell control cover plates available for purchase?
Old 01-28-2021, 11:58 AM

That is a pretty cool mod! I'm with you, aaronmarkson, the faux tortise would look nicer.

A mod I've wanted to try is to replace the Tru-mic level pot (not the volume pot) with a
3-turn pot or maybe even a 10-turn unit to make it less touchy to adjust. I wasn't sure
one could pull the sound hole unit apart, but now I see that you can! Thanks, Cuki!

_Roger
Old 01-28-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
This is a great idea for the SL. Not sure it would work for the full anthem. I wonder if even changing from the cream color to this darker color would help it hide. Are these darker faux tortoiseshell control cover plates available for purchase?
Knowing Baggs top notch service I would not be surprised if they give you one for free if you ask kindly..
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification