The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Question AGF Luthiers what are you working on currently?

I thought it would be fun to see or hear about what some of our favorite AGF Luthiers are building right now.

Pictures are optional, what models are you guys working on and with what woods?

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Me

1 - Figured redwood on bubinga baritone

2 - Moon-glow redwood on walnut baritone

3 - All koa small jumbo

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

I just strung up a couple of guitars, but those will now "settle-in" for a week or so before I get back to those.

I seldom have this many guitars in the shop at once, so I took a shot just yesterday. The JS ( all koa Jumbo) was just strung up on Monday and the Sinker Redwood OM was just strung up yesterday. Next week, I will do a little more set-up and then get them a little play time before I tweek them one more time. The SD (slope dread) has been finished for a while, but will also get a once over before it goes out to the studio next week.

I have three 000-12 (all custom orders) in very early stages of construction. One will be Sitka/Indian Rosewood, another Sitka/Honduran Rosewood and the last one is Italian Spruce/African Blackwood This is kind of fun to have all the same models come up at about the same time. I won't work them all together but some things might kind of run in tandem. This morning I was working on Rosettes and will finish two of the three rosettes this week.

Here is one of the rosettes I finished up yesterday

And here is one that I need to get back to after lunch. I have to remake some of the Koa wedge pieces as I lost a little bit of the "points" while making the parts. Hopefully it will go better after lunch.

Hopefully I will have some more progress pix later.

Thanks for looking
Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am working on a Pernambuco / LS Redwood MiniMac, an Osage / 59 Sitka Highlander and a Honduran RW / Cedar/Engelmann Tarshish which is a new model for us. I also just finished up a a Paudauk / Adi Skeeter model and should have some pics of it in a week or so. There always seems to be so much work and so little time...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Fun thread! Thanks guys.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

A number of things, but this one might be of interest to some, even though there's not too much "acoustic" about it!
A cherry-bodied Tele, w/ spalted curly maple top. There's a center lam in the body of curly cherry, and faux tortoise binding on the body. First pic shows a wash coat of ZPoxy to stabilize the spongey wood for routing:

And here's the binding installed w/ neck pocket routed:

Thanks,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Me

John and Steve - That's nice! Come on Tim - We want pics.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

As most know I am working on a OOO Bastogne Walnut/tunnel 13 that I am just putting the last 3 coats of lacquer on today. This thing is stunning in color now that the finish is on it. I will put up pictures tomorrow.
The SJ Mahogany/cedar is also being finished and a K45, that is a slope D Cocobolo/Adirondack . The slope D was also to be going to the Montreal Guitar show but not enough time for that one.
There is also a Jumbo Brazilian/sitka soon to be finished as well.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm nearly finished with this quilted mahogany/sitka topped, short scale guitar. I hope to finish it this weekend and send it off to Joe White.

Chris.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

neat thread-Bobby, thanks for starting it

daryl
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 PM

This is a fun thread. Thanks to all.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM

I delivered a Sitka Rosewood 13 fret Little Jumbo to it's owner tonight. This picture was taken a couple weeks ago before the final buff and set up. It's owner is local musician Scott Moss. Here's a link to Scott's website. He's a heckuva entertainer, doing both solo acoustic gigs, and gigs with his band Moonshine Jenny.

I'm re finishing a couple Tacomas, as well a replacing a few frets on one. I glued the bridge on this DR20 earler today. It will be assembled and returned to it's owner in Virginia soon.

I've got a couple more coats to spray on this Tacoma. It's owner lives in the NC mountains, and is an AGF member.

I also sprayed the first coat of finish on the Brackett Instruments all Koa 12 fret Mini Dread from the build thread I have here. I need to update that thread.

I'm getting ready to start on a Carphatian Spruce/ Panama Rosewood Dread, and I'm working with a client on the design of an acoustic bass.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

Lovely guitars, all! I can't wait to see a finish on that spalted tele. Very nice.

JR
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Chris, they say (who are "they" anyway?) that the devil is in the details.
Well, I just love what you did with that chevron-ed heel cap. Simple little touch, but very nice.

And JR, I hope it gets a finish soon!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM

I'm at NAMM so I can't post any pictures but I do have a very interesting project I'm just starting for Martin. I might give it a "Custom Shop" of it's own if it's alright with Chris. I'm guessing nobody's done a running dialog of a 6 month inlay project... It's for their 1,500,000th Martin and the theme is Leonardo Da Vinci.
Mona Lisa headstock inlay, Last Supper pickguard, Vertruvian Man on the back... should be fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop