The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Broke truss rod Córdoba C9

Guess I should have posted here first about my eBay purchase of a Córdoba C9 with broken truss rod. Can it be fixed and how?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM

A broken truss rod usually need to be replaced, and that often requires removal of the fingerboard, excavating the old rod, installing a new one, regluing the fingerboard, and refretting if necessary. Finish is typically compromised in the operation, so that may need attention, too.

It can be a challenging job for the aspiring luthier, and as such, quite rewarding.

For the player, it is typically an expensive repair.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 PM

I assume it is a classical guitar, which in most cases can function just fine without a truss rod.
Nylon strings only have about 60% of the tension of steel strings.
Is the neck bowed?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I assume it is a classical guitar, which in most cases can function just fine without a truss rod.
Nylon strings only have about 60% of the tension of steel strings.
Is the neck bowed?
No the neck is whithin spec.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:55 AM

What part of the rod is broken? Sometimes people strip the bolt head and call the rod broken but it's really not. If that is the case there is a fix. How do you know the rod is broken does it rattle? IF so then you will have to remove it. Like John said you don't really need one in a classical guitar, I don't even use then for the ones I build, but if it's rattling then of course that is not tolerable.

It could be possible to inject epoxy inside the slot through the fret board to stop the rattling and just abandon the truss rod.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What part of the rod is broken? Sometimes people strip the bolt head and call the rod broken but it's really not. If that is the case there is a fix. How do you know the rod is broken does it rattle? IF so then you will have to remove it. Like John said you don't really need one in a classical guitar, I don't even use then for the ones I build, but if it's rattling then of course that is not tolerable.

It could be possible to inject epoxy inside the slot through the fret board to stop the rattling and just abandon the truss rod.
Well I got the guitar today, eBay purchase, and the problem was emidiate upon inspection. The adjustment head is broke off but there is just enough left that I think I can fix it. I have a plan and if it works I post my results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair