The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Default ship to martin or authorized repair?

I've got a d-28 1935sp, the 1993 reissue that I've maintained in perfect condition. Noticed a very small top center separation (1 1/2") between the endblock and first sound bar. The crack extends just in the finish above and below the separation. I'd like martin to do the repair but customer service estimated a 3-4 month turn around. The nearest authorized repair shop is a couple hours away and I have no experience with this repair center. The shop I normally use and trust for their quality work offered to do the repair and suggested my pushing martin to foot the bill. I'm apprehensive about shipping my guitar, martin's timeframe really stinks, but given the quality of this guitar is having martin do the repair the wisest thing to do?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkroot View Post
I've got a d-28 1935sp, the 1993 reissue that I've maintained in perfect condition. Noticed a very small top center separation (1 1/2") between the endblock and first sound bar. The crack extends just in the finish above and below the separation. I'd like martin to do the repair but customer service estimated a 3-4 month turn around. The nearest authorized repair shop is a couple hours away and I have no experience with this repair center. The shop I normally use and trust for their quality work offered to do the repair and suggested my pushing martin to foot the bill. I'm apprehensive about shipping my guitar, martin's timeframe really stinks, but given the quality of this guitar is having martin do the repair the wisest thing to do?
Grab a bottle of titebond, massage the glue into the crack so it reaches fully through the crack, let dry, then wipe off the excess with a dampened "cotton ball" (not an "absorbent" ball, since they are polyester or acrylic, rather than cotton). It'll save you a whole lot of time and trouble compared to sending it to Martin.

Are you keeping your instrument properly humidified??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Grab a bottle of titebond, massage the glue into the crack so it reaches fully through the crack, let dry, then wipe off the excess with a dampened "cotton ball" (not an "absorbent" ball, since they are polyester or acrylic, rather than cotton). It'll save you a whole lot of time and trouble compared to sending it to Martin.

Are you keeping your instrument properly humidified??
I do keep it properly humidified, and have taken exceptional care of it. It goes to my local shop a couple times each year just for a look over.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkroot View Post
I do keep it properly humidified, and have taken exceptional care of it. It goes to my local shop a couple times each year just for a look over.
Center seam cracks, and indeed top cracks along the grain line, are fairly common. It is difficult, if not impossible, for large scale manufacturers to limit their wood use to pieces that are 25 to 50 years old, so even under controlled humidity conditions, seam separation and top cracks are certainly possible.

Whether you get the instrument repaired for you, or DIY, continue to keep it properly humidified and you shouldn't have severe issues.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM

How about you show us some pics. It may be easy enough as Ned has stated but I've seen way to many DIY repairs on cracks that are just awful. If it's a hairline crack then that type of fix might be easy if there is some separation then not so much.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
How about you show us some pics. It may be easy enough as Ned has stated but I've seen way to many DIY repairs on cracks that are just awful. If it's a hairline crack then that type of fix might be easy if there is some separation then not so much.
It is a very small separation. 1 3/4" max length between the endblock and first soundbar. It looks like a finish crack. My repair guy was only able to see it by turning down the lights and putting a light in the guitar. Aside from being disappointed I'm not too concerned about it since the guitar is in excellent shape and has always been properly humidified. My concern is in completely restoring the integrity - both structural and aesthetic.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM

The warranty is unlikely to cover cracks in the soundboard or elsewhere. It is in the nature thin woods to be easily cracked, whether by accident, heat or humidity.

That said, there's a risk and cost in sending a guitar anywhere, so rather than sending it back to the Factory, paying to have it repaired locally can be the most economical both in terms of $$ and stress.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Couple of thoughts.....

Are you close enough to Nazareth to take it in person?

If you haven't already, I would call Martin, describe the problem and ask them if it would be covered or not under warranty for sure.

I recently had a guitar repaired by Martin. It did take a while, but they're clearly not rushing things through; the repair was absolutely, completely, perfect and invisible.

I live close enough (in relative terms), so I was able to deliver it and pick it up.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Couple of thoughts.....

Are you close enough to Nazareth to take it in person?

If you haven't already, I would call Martin, describe the problem and ask them if it would be covered or not under warranty for sure.

I recently had a guitar repaired by Martin. It did take a while, but they're clearly not rushing things through; the repair was absolutely, completely, perfect and invisible.

I live close enough (in relative terms), so I was able to deliver it and pick it up.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. My repair guy who is very competent gave high praise to their repair department and was confident that it would be under warranty. I live 4 1/2 hours from the factory and have always wanted to visit. Just wish they'd schedule their repairs. I'd gladly run it down a week before the repair date!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair