The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
rick, that sounds like an f to me.
Try this. Listen to my clip, where the notes are repeated and think f and then listen again and think f#. When you do that the pitch actually seems to change somewhat, at least to me. Interesting how our ears work.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Try this. Listen to my clip, where the notes are repeated and think f and then listen again and think f#. When you do that the pitch actually seems to change somewhat, at least to me. Interesting how our ears work.
yes, i actually did that. and i thought, that f# sounds good there. but it clashed with your recording.

so i actually pulled your mp3 into transcribe, isolated and looped the part with the three notes, but just that one note, over and over - bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp - and it very much sounded like a f.

back to the hearing and expectations, i think i did something similar to what you mention with the chords (although i haven't gone back and re-listened), where i was hearing the major third with the 'E' shape chord.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
yes, i actually did that. and i thought, that f# sounds good there. but it clashed with your recording.

so i actually pulled your mp3 into transcribe, isolated and looped the part with the three notes, but just that one note, over and over - bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp - and it very much sounded like a f.

back to the hearing and expectations, i think i did something similar to what you mention with the chords (although i haven't gone back and re-listened), where i was hearing the major third with the 'E' shape chord.
Thanks for trying that out.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I agree ears can be fooled (as I said before), but I can't get that note to sound like F#. As long as the first two are tuned to D and Eb, that 3rd one is F.
(Did you get my email and clip, btw?)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I agree ears can be fooled (as I said before), but I can't get that note to sound like F#. As long as the first two are tuned to D and Eb, that 3rd one is F.
(Did you get my email and clip, btw?)
Yep, emailed you back a while ago.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM

Rick it is an F, not an F#. If you don't believe me grab a tuner, place it in front of the speaker and replay my video or the sound file you posted earlier.
It is an F.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiseas View Post
Rick it is an F, not an F#. If you don't believe me grab a tuner, place it in front of the speaker and replay my video or the sound file you posted earlier.
It is an F.
I did some internet research on my hearing since everyone hears F. I found that I have a slight case of diplacusis (hearing the same note at different pitches in the right and left ear). I did an online test and most frequencies are pretty even, but some are off. In this case around the frequencies involved I noticed my left ear hears at a higher pitch than my right ear. Both ears together and I can more or less mentally pick one or the other pitch.
So therefore I now concede the note played was and F. Now please tell that to my left ear.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 AM

If you look at my first post in this thread (#6) I heard an F# too. It is totally undestandable because when I played the intro F# sounded sweet, it sounded right. When I played F it sounded a bit dead, colorless.
But when I played along with the original track as Jon suggested at post #8 it became clear that Jon was right, the guy was playing F. Perhaps he was too lazy to make a three fret stretch.
I don't know if it is your left ear that was playing tricks on you, or as it was in my case, your brain was telling you that the note was F#, but anyway it is totally undestandable.
Just to be sure , I would like to pass a message to your left ear
FFFFFFFFFFF bad ear... bad ear... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I did some internet research on my hearing since everyone hears F. I found that I have a slight case of diplacusis (hearing the same note at different pitches in the right and left ear). I did an online test and most frequencies are pretty even, but some are off. In this case around the frequencies involved I noticed my left ear hears at a higher pitch than my right ear. Both ears together and I can more or less mentally pick one or the other pitch.
So therefore I now concede the note played was and F. Now please tell that to my left ear.
i have never heard of that. fascinating. i hope it isn't depressing you, although i really know nothing about it. i did think to myself how when i am trying to hear something, although often not something musical, i will sometimes rotate my head this way and that way to hear it in each ear. in those case my brain is often working to 'average out' the sound in ortder to better identify it.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM

Wow.... I think this post has more replies than any post I have ever posted on any forum :-) Thanks guys....at least I don't feel clueless anymore :-)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM

Good you're not baking a cake !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write