The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Bell-bottomed Blues
Old 02-21-2020, 05:20 PM

Old 02-21-2020, 07:02 PM

Itchycoo Park
Old 02-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Toad.
Wipe Out.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Lots of Motown songs in the 60's .. see link for some ideas

https://www.waybackattack.com/top100-motownhits.html
Old 02-21-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. 17 minute version. That'll teach 'em.
But only if you can do justice to that epic drum solo.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

We Can Work It Out - Beatles
Pale Blue Eyes - Velvet Underground
Embryonic Journey - Jefferson Airplane
Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Fairport Convention
Reno Nevada - Richard and Mimi Farina
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 02-21-2020, 08:42 PM

Default 60s songs - suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
...Stuff that’ll sound good with one voice and one guitar...
Some of my old standbys:

Gordon Lightfoot
I'm Not Sayin'
Ribbon of Darkness
Crossroads
Pride of Man
That's What You Get For Lovin' Me
Walls
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
I'll Be Alright
Did She Mention My Name
Long Thin Dawn
Marie Christine

Neil Diamond
I Got the Feeling (Oh No, No)
You Got to Me
Red, Red Wine
Kentucky Woman
Thank the Lord for the Nighttime
Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon
Shilo
Merry-Go-Round
Holly Holy
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show (get the audience singing along on the "Hallelujah" section while you do the sermon - great closer!)

With a bit of banter those will get you through an 80-90 minute set...
Old 02-21-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
The poster should list the 60s songs he already plays, so that duplication of material by suggestion from thread participants is prevented.

I play loads of 60s songs as solo acoustic instrumentals.

Some of the 60s songs I play on 6 and 12-string acoustic guitars:

Blowin' In The Wind (Composed by Bob Dylan; #2 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963.)

Tuesday Afternoon (Penned by Justin Hayward; from the 1967 lp "Days Of Future Passed" by The Moody Blues. The single version went #28 US Billboard in 1968.)

Please Please Me (Written by Beatle John Lennon; first #1 song for The Beatles in the UK, 1963--depending on which record survey one consults; peaked at #3 US Billboard, 1964.)

My Love (A Tony Hatch composition. #1 US Billboard for Petula Clark, 1966.)

The Sounds Of Silence (Penned by Paul Simon. #1 US Billboard for Simon & Garfunkel, 1965.)

If I Fell (John Lennon said he wrote it, but Paul McCartney maintains that he and John wrote it together. Appears on the third album The Beatles released in the US, "Something New" and the lp "A Hard Day's Night," 1964. #53 US Billboard as B-side to "And I Love Her"--#12 US Billboard).

Ring Of Fire (Written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore. #17 US Billboard for Johnny Cash, 1963. #1 US Billboard Country for 7 consecutive weeks, 1963.)

Telstar (Written by UK independent record producer, Joe Meek. The first television pictures broadcast across the Atlantic on July 11, 1962, had inspired Joe Meek to create the instrumental as a tribute to the Telstar satellite. #1 US Billboard for the Tornadoes, 1962.)

(I'll Never Find) Another You (Composed by Tom Springfield. #4 US Billboard for The Seekers, 1965. Sonny James went #1 US Billboard Country with it in 1967.)

Walk Away Renee (Written by founding Left Banke band member and keyboard player, Michael Brown, when he was 16 years old. #5 US Billboard the The Left Banke, 1966.)

Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) (Lyrics adapted from The Bible's Book Of Ecclesiastes--music by Peter Seeger. #1 US Billboard for The Byrds, 1965.)

Cowgirl In The Sand (Written by Neil Young. First appears on Young's 1969 LP, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere," recorded with his band Crazy Horse.)

(That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me (Written by Gordon Lightfoot. #30 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in early 1965.)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (A George Harrison composition. From "The White Album" by The Beatles, 1968.)

Proud Mary (Lyrics and music by founding Creedence Clearwater Revival band member and lead singer/guitarist, John Fogerty. #2 US Billboard for Creedence Clearwater Revival, 1969.)

Daydream Believer (Words and music by former Kingston Trio member John Stewart. #1 US Billboard for The Monkees, 1967.)

Puff (The Magic Dragon) (Written by Peter Yarrow--lyrics and music--and Leonard Lipton, lyrics; #2 US Billboard for Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963.)

Apache (Composed by UK musician Jerry Lordan in 1960; first recorded version by Bert Weedon. Also covered in 1960 byThe Shadows as a B-side to "Quartermaster's Stores." In 1961, guitarist Jorgan Ingmann of Denmark went #2 US Billboard with it.)

California Dreamin' (Penned by John Phillips and Michelle Phillips. With The Mamas & The Papas as backup singers, Barry McGuire first recorded California Dreamin' in 1965. #4 US Billboard for The Mamas & The Papas, 1966.)

I'm A Believer: (Written by Neil Diamond. #1 US Billboard for The Monkees, late 1966-early 1967.)

Red Rubber Ball (A collaborative composition by Paul Simon and Bruce Woodley--original member of The Seekers. #2 US Billboard for The Cyrkle, 1966. Recorded July 10, 2005.)

Green Green (The first US Billboard Top 40 song by American Folk legends The New Christy Minstrels, and, indeed, this became their highest charting single ever, topping out at #14 in the summer of 1963; composed by Christy member Barry McGuire and group leader Randy Sparks.)

Five O'Clock World: (Written by Allen Reynolds. #4 US Billboard and #1 Canadian for The Vogues, 1966; #16 US Billboard Country for Hal Ketchum, 1992. Used as opening song for the second season of television's The Drew Carey Show, 1996-'97.)

A World Of Our Own (A Tom Springfield--brother of Pop singer Dusty Springfield--composition, originally recorded by the Australian folk group The Seekers whose version topped out at #19 US Billboard during the summer of 1965. A cover arrangement by American Country Music superstar Sonny James reached #1 US Country Billboard in 1967.)

There's A Place (The very first track The Beatles ever recorded specifically intended for an album. Recorded in 10 takes on February 11, 1963, for the group's UK debut LP release, "Please Please Me." A John Lennon-Paul McCartney composition that when eventually released in the US in 1964, climbed to #74 on the Billboard Pop charts.)

Eight Days A Week (#1 US Billboard for The Beatles, 1965. First appears on The Fab Four's UK-released album "Beatles For Sale"--also included on the US LP "Beatles VI." Often attributed to Paul McCartney alone, though many believe that is was indeed a genuine Lennon-McCartney collaboration.)

Nights In White Satin (A Justin Hayward composition, recorded with the London Festival Orchestra; first appears on the Moodys' 1967 album, "Days Of Future Passed," then released as a single in the Fall of 1972. Went #2 US Billboard for two consecutive weeks.)

The Letter (#1 US Billboard for The Box Tops, 1967. Composed by Wayne Carson Thompson. Covers by The Arbors and Joe Cocker went #20 and #7 US Billboard during Spring 1969 and late Spring 1970, respectively.)

White Rabbit (Written by Grace Slick--real name Grace Barnett Wing--around 1965 or '66 when she was with a band called The Great Society. She brought the song over with her to Jefferson Airplane. "White Rabbit" went #8 US Billboard in the summer of 1967.)

I Call Your Name (A John Lennon composition. First appears on The Beatles' 1964 US-release LP, "The Beatles' Second Album" and then later on a UK ep called "Long Tall Sally." Before Lennon recorded "I Call Your Name" with The Beatles, he had actually given it to Billy J. Kramer of The Dakotas, who released it as the B-side to their hit "Bad To Me"--a Lennon-McCartney collaboration. "I Call Your Name" was also covered by The Mamas And The Papas on their 1966 LP, "If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears.")

On Broadway (Composed by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil in collaboration with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The Drifters' version went #9 US Billboard in 1963. A cover by George Benson placed #7 US Billboard in the Spring of 1978.)

Solitary Man (A Neil Diamond composition. #55 US Billboard for Neil Diamond, 1966--then, #21 US Billboard for Neil Diamond in 1970.)

San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair). A John Phillips composition. #4 US Billboard for Scott McKenzie, 1967.

Holiday (Penned by Barry and Robin Gibb. #16 US Billboard for The Bee Gees, 1967.

Help Me, Rhonda (A Brian Wilson-Mike Love composition. #1 US Billboard for The Beach Boys, 1965.

The Lonely Bull (Cmposed by Sol Lake. The first commercial chart success for Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass; went #6 US Billboard, 1962.)

I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better (A Gene Clark composition. From the 1965 album "Mr. Tambourine Man" by The Byrds. The single 45rpm track--flip-side to "All I Really Want To Do" by The Byrds--hit #103 US Billboard, 1965.)

It Hurts To Be In Love (A Howard Greenfield-Helen Miller composition. #7 US Billboard for Gene Pitney, 1964.)

I Am A Rock (Penned by Paul Simon. #3 US Billboard for Simon & Garfunkel, 1966.)

Eight Miles High (Original Byrds member Gene Clark is the primary writer, with Roger--the artist formly known as Jim--McGuinn and David Crosby; climbed to #14 on the US charts in 1966.)

The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh) (Composed by Solomon Linda, Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, George David Weiss, and Albert Stanton. #1 US Billboard for The Tokens, 1961.)

My Back Pages (A Bob Dylan composition. #30 US Billboard for The Byrds, 1967.)

Post of the day right there. I had a great time reading it!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:11 PM

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
59th Street Bridge Song - Simon & Garfunkel
Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 AM

These are the ones I already play. There are a few here that were released in 1970 or the 50s. I think most are 60s or 60s sounding.

16 Tons
All My Loving
America
And It Stoned Me
Astral Weeks
By the Time I Get to Phoenix
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Come a Little Bit Closer
Cracklin’ Rosie
Dear Prudence
Delilah
Domino
Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
Don’t Worry Baby
Everybody’s Talkin’
Flowers on the Wall
Folsom Prison Blues
Galveston
Gentle on My Mind
God Only Knows
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
House of the Rising Sun
I Feel Fine
I Want You Back
Into the Mystic
It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)
John Henry
Keep the Customer Satisfied
Like a Rolling Stone
Lodi
Lola
Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
Lookin’ Out My Back Door
Mama Tried
Mr. Bojangles
Mustang Sally
My Back Pages
Not Fade Away
Please Please Me
Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town
Ruler of My Heart
Running Scared
So You Wanna Be a Rock ‘n’ Roll Star
Sunny
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
The Tracks of My Tears
These Days
Walk Away Renee
Waterloo Sunset
We Can Work it Out
Who’ll Stop the Rain
Wichita Lineman
Yesterday
You Really Got a Hold on Me
Bring It On Home to Me
Wild World
Father and Son

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Keep ‘em coming.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM

How about the females of the sixties?
Just three for starters...
Dusty Springfield - I Only Want To Be With You (1964)
The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (1960)
Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walking (1965)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion