The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Filling the "music" void with "gear."

Due to work and family commitments, occasionally my musical creativity seems to dry up. In the past few months, I haven't been playing music with my friends, taking gigs, learning new songs, or writing my own songs. I think when I go through a creative dry spell I have a tendency to focus on gear: be it guitars, amps, pickups, etc. Recently, after purchasing my personal "holy grail" guitar, I made it difficult to distract myself with these gear pursuits. "I got my guitar, now what?" So, I thought about pickups and amps again. "Wow, that K&K in the Authentic sounds really good straight into the Bose S1. Guess I can't waste time with that." Heck, I even started trying to find problems with my Marquis, which doesn't have any problems.

So, here I am admitting that I need to jump start my creative engine and get back to the work (and enjoyment) of making music.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:20 AM
Musical minimalist

Many things can get in the way of our music. The last 5 years have been a real struggle for me personally and it's taken it's toll.

I still play daily, but many times with little focus - just treading water. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Thankfully, I've never been much of a "gearhead" - just used to like to horse-trade guitars a lot, and that is almost non-existent now as well.

I hope there is something left when this phase of my life is over.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

I hear you. For me the best way to kick start things is to go to a concert. I always come home with ideas (both what I want to do and what I DON'T want to do!).
Old 02-20-2020, 11:23 AM

Ouch, this post is too loud

I think you identified one of the most common problems amongst us players, and an intended consequence of capitalism, that we try to fix problems with what we can acquire for our art, instead of the art itself.

Not that it's entirely bad, it's not. It's inspiring to get a new guitar or gear that assists you in your journey. But I've seen plenty of players who can't play for jack, or don't understand jack, but think the acquisition of something will fix that. I've been guilty myself.

Of course, it's hard to find more time to play bc playing doesn't pay the bills. Yet.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I am new to the guitar world, but appreciate your observation and confession as universal.
I am a woodwinds player, and some years ago felt that my playing and inspiration had ground to a halt. So I poured myself into the acquisition of a new tenor sax. Believe it or not, there are enthusiasts as "involved" with their gear as folks are here. And I fell right into it, literally studying different instruments - all Selmer - based on their serials numbers to find that perfect "golden age" horn. I revealed this to a pal of mine who just said - "get some new reeds." I did just that, which kindled a whole new love for my 60 year old tenor that belonged to the only music teacher I ever had. I use that horn to this day. And that advice to get a box of $20 reeds saved me $8-10k for a new horn.
Moral - buy some totally different, crazy new strings and see what happens.
Happy trails, mate.
David
Old 02-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Guest 33123

The best thing I have done for my playing was to spend the past 20 years practicing A LOT! GAS symptoms grew out of that practice regime as I learned what worked for me and what didn't. Without striving to become a better musician through daily practice I would have still had GAS but it would have been directionless, maybe even an attempt to spackle over my inadequacies with new gear. Been there, done that!
Old 02-20-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Filling the "music" void with "gear."

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Due to work and family commitments, occasionally my musical creativity seems to dry up. In the past few months, I haven't been playing music with my friends, taking gigs, learning new songs, or writing my own songs. I think when I go through a creative dry spell I have a tendency to focus on gear: be it guitars, amps, pickups, etc. Recently, after purchasing my personal "holy grail" guitar, I made it difficult to distract myself with these gear pursuits. "I got my guitar, now what?" So, I thought about pickups and amps again. "Wow, that K&K in the Authentic sounds really good straight into the Bose S1. Guess I can't waste time with that." Heck, I even started trying to find problems with my Marquis, which doesn't have any problems.

So, here I am admitting that I need to jump start my creative engine and get back to the work (and enjoyment) of making music.

I find that chasing gear distracts me as well, sometime for six months or more. I now apply a three week wait period when gas strikes.

Works very well and saves me a lot of money.

Gigging on a regular basis is the best solution, and brings in money instead of spending it.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:42 PM

Thankfully I'm not afflicted with GAS. Sure, I've bought guitars, amps, mics and such over the years, because I needed or wanted new tools. When I feel like I'm getting stale I explore a different genre for a while ... or just put it down and go fishing.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:42 PM

It's funny - the more I gig and practice, the less I have GAS. It's the lulls that can be dangerous. At least the wiser me (hey, age = wisdom, right?) knows, for a fact, that hanging out on gear forums and buying new gear won't make me a better player. At least I know that while I'm doing it now.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

...great topic that applies to me and many others here as well I imagine...
Old 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Hmmm, glad to see it's not just me .

I've learned that gear alone will not kickstart my enthusiasm or motivation.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM

Umm yeah, sounds like you probably have the gear thing covered well enough by most standards. The most inspirational thing I never do often enough is go see good musicians live.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Great responses so far. I hesitated starting the thread. But, its provided a little inspiration. I'm scheduled to play this weekend. I'll try and get over to an open mic in the next few days as well. I will also attend an upcoming concert. I just need to kick start myself a little.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:31 PM

That reminds me - although I have bought some guitars (2 Gibsons at a pawn shop, what a find and a half!!!) and lost some - I haven't bought any electronica for a very long while - the gadgets don't seem to be getting updated by the makers....you know, an update for the Boss VE8 please chaps - or way, way overdue is a pickup that works (or 'another pickup that works').........so yes, I have hollow spaces to fill in my large music void!

BluesKing777.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:55 PM

When I not on the AGF I am on dpreview.com checking out photo gear. Neither playing nor out taking photos 🤪. Well, except sometimes when I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion