The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Cleartone Strings

I bought a set of Cleartone strings to give them another shot, it had been probably 8-10 years since I had tried them.

I put a set on my Goodall right before Christmas, and I have played it quite a bit since then including a few Worship Services at Church. The guitar is an incredible instrument but it really has sounded its best with these Cleartone Mediums on it and they just keep going. I'm a total nut for fresh sounding strings and these ones have last longer than most brands I've tried.

They have me scratching my head and reconsidering some of the other brands I've been using some. I've been using GHS, Elixir, John Pearse and D'Addario.

The Cleartone EQ strings look interesting too. Has anyone tried those or switched to them?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey Bobby;

Like you, I was "less than impressed" with my first outing with Cleartone strings... interesting that they now please you... maybe they changed something in the formula?

I have tried the EQ strings; when they first offered them, my local store (Bullfrog Music) put a set on one of their Breedlove Premiere acoustics (sitka/EI rosewood) - and my sister actually ended up buying that guitar!

I played those EQ's on that guitar for a few months before she bought it, and, while I was leery of the "different strings for different registers" concept, I really liked them a lot. After my sister bought the guitar, I played it several times more when I would go visit her, and they hung in there for a long time, still sounding good. To the point that it had been well over a year, and I asked my sis how the guitar was sounding; she said it was getting a little dull sounding; then I asked if she'd changed those strings... and she had not!

Next time I saw her, I changed them for her, but used a set of Eilixr phophor bronze Nanowebs - of course, the new strings sounded MUCH better than those old Cleartones that had been on the guitar for well over a year!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 PM

I've been impressed with the Cleartone strings that I've used. I think they're a good product. They definitely seem to rob less of the treble response than the Elixir strings do.

Of course, that's been on my guitars, hearing them with my ears. Your mileage may vary.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-20-2020, 07:46 PM

I am another who tends to have no use for Cleartones . But a friend of mine who owns a small music shop sent me a couple of sets of the hybrid strings and wanted to know what I thought fo them. I put them aside and forgot about them for about six months. I finally decided to give them a whirl and strung up my 1942 Harmony H165 Stella with them. I was actually pretty pleased with them.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:47 AM

You start off playing guitars to get girls & end up talking with middle-aged men about your fingernails" - Ed Gerhard

Love this!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion