The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-03-2020, 05:56 PM

Default X20 Nylon - Clip of Learning 'Se Ela Pergunta' - For Those Interested In Tone

Hi all. If anyone has followed previous posts of mine, you'll know I'm as amateur as it gets (though working hard at being better with weekly lessons), but there's two other noteworthy facts about me:
  1. I'm not shy to share where I'm at, and
  2. I have an Emerald X20 Nylon; which I understand many might be curious about the tone.

To those who are interested in the tone...

I'm no audio tech guru, but I recently acquired a much better audio recorder than some random microphones that get plugged into a 3.5mm jack (a Zoom H4N Pro), so I thought I'd share a clip of me LEARNING a new song (don't judge! :-)). There's lots of individual notes, and a few chords, and I'm playing super slow, so I think you can get a real feel for its sound.

The recording was done with the H4N Pro's native mics, in it's default stereo mode. It was perhaps 24-30" away from the guitar. I put it dead center in front and pointed it dead center to the top of the guitar, because I found the stereo was unbalanced if I did anything else while being as close as I was.

The processing of the file is minimal. It was brought into Audacity, I balanced the stereo a bit (+10% boost to the right side), removed a bit of white noise, and exported it to an MP3.

https://home.mycloud.com/action/shar...6-b1666d6361c0

I hope some find this file somewhat educational.

Meanwhile, does anyone have tips on not recording your breathing? Please don't suggest to not breath :-D!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

bt;

Wow! Very nice exposure of the tonal qualities, and very nice play. thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great. Lovely tone and playing. What strings are you using?
Thanks, Tom
Old 01-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Thanks guys. I'm using Savarez 520J strings (AKA "Yellow", because the package is yellow?).
Old 01-04-2020, 07:50 AM

I've had my mind hovering around the idea of an Emerald X20 Nylon and your post drew me in just a bit closer. As I find my arthritic thumbs and hands getting worse, the lower string tension of nylon looks better and better. Your playing sounded great as did the tone of the Emerald. Thanks!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 01-04-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for that clip!

I own an X10N and was curious about the comparison to the X20N. The sound quality is similar.
If anyone is interested in a comparison to the Blackbird Savoy with Folk Nylon strings, I made a short video last month that is accurate as to how it sounds... a bit warmer and more "classical" sounding than the X10N I own now or NP12 I used to have.

FYI, the "bass" in the beginning is a CA Blade pitched shifted down an octave (with software). The fake cellos and contrabass were played with a MIDI keyboard.

https://oldbarnemporium.com/tanb/silent-night/
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
...does anyone have tips on not recording your breathing? Please don't suggest to not breath :-D!
A hypercardioid mic and good placement would probably take care of the bleed problem. Software like izotope RX would give you more options post recording, but that starts getting complicated.

Good article on live "on the street" recording here...

https://www.mixonline.com/sfp/sfp-playing-change-369239
Old 01-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I like it ! Thanks for posting it ! Very nice
Old 01-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

Very nice. Nice play, nice production. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber