The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Pickup Advice for Guitar with Small Bridge Plate - Anthem alternative?

Hi guys,

I have two acoustics - one Martin OM28v and one by a uk builder called Fylde - and I play British style fingerpicking folk.

The Martin has had several pickups in it over the years but I've recently had the LR Baggs Anthem SL system installed which I've been very happy with. I like the ease of use, the 'plug in and play aspect' and, above all, the tone. I also like that it seems to be relatively feedback resistant and not too fussy about the system it goes through.

I decided to have the same system installed in my Fylde, but hit a snag when my tech realised the bridge plate is not big enough for the mic capsule to sit on. Well it is but in order to be far enough away from the bridge pins it touches the x braces.

So I don't think the Anthem system is going to work in this guitar and I'd like some advice on alternatives.

I have used K&K in the past on my Martin and another guitar and, as much as I like the sound, I find that for some of the open mic situations I play at in pubs etc, they can feedback a little too easily, plus I've already checked and the transducers would have to hang off the edge of the bridgeplate so I'd rather not go that route.

I currently have an M1a which I take in and out of the Fylde when needs be but I find the low end a little too 'hyped', although I haven't spent a lot of time adjusting the pole peices to compensate. I'm not adverse to a soundhole pickup but I ideally would want one that can be removed when not in use as I find they do change the unplugged tone.

An artist I like in the UK called Chris Wood uses a M1a with a DPA microphone into a Dtar solstice - something like this could work but I'd need a way of running the mic on a ring channel of a stereo output rather than drilling a second hole in my guitar.

I've also looked at the Dtar Multi Source but, the anthem aside, a lot of systems similar to this (such as fishman's presys blend) seem to feedback on the high end very easily.

Sorry if this is going on a bit but does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:30 PM

Maybe a Schertler Magnetico plus its optional condenser mic or the newly released Magnetico contact mic? The ensemble performs very well.. I also know some player installed the Anthem (or lyric? Dont recall) on the opposite side of the pins without affecting the tone in a significant way...
Old 07-12-2015, 02:39 PM

Just reviving my own thread...

So I went ahead and had the DTAR Multisource installed and, having now used it for a few months, I'm not happy with it at all.

It seems rather bright and has more of the piezo quack than the Anthem system in my Martin. The output is also really hot, which I've found has caught out those doing sound at a number of open mic nights and seems to contribute to a tendency to feedback - I also had to reduce the bass boost right down to nothing on the endpin.

Any I emailed LR Baggs and asked about the viability of installing an Anthem SL and putting the tru-mic on the underside of the top itself rather than on the bridge plate and had this reply:

"I actually have the Anthem SL in a smaller body guitar of mine, that also has a very small bridgeplate. I installed the mic toward the back side of the plate, directly to the top, and it sounds fantastic.

You may need to try a couple of different mic placements, but you should be able to get an excellent tone pretty easily.

All the best!

Sincerely,
Caleb Elling
"

So that sounds hopeful, however, due to the slightly odd-ball bracing in my Fylde, I'll have to set the Tru-mic sort of 'off centre' rather than directly behind the bridgeplate - my tech and I are going to try this at some point this week and see what happens.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had to install the anthem this way?
Old 12-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Jack, did you end up installing the Anthem, as described, in your Martin? I've been asked to install a pickup in a '58 Martin 00-17, with a small bridgeplate(K&K won't fit), so I'm looking for options. If not the Anthem, what did you use?
Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Call Baggs Tech Support and ask them how to make the Anthem TruMic work.

Other ideas: Dazzo, HFN, or new James May Ultra Tonic. All of these take up less space on the bridge plate.

Just brain storming. Good luck. _RP
Old 12-17-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richard View Post
Jack, did you end up installing the Anthem, as described, in your Martin? I've been asked to install a pickup in a '58 Martin 00-17, with a small bridgeplate(K&K won't fit), so I'm looking for options. If not the Anthem, what did you use?
Bit of a zombie thread - I ended up selling the Fylde and I now use a K&K/DPA6061 dual source in my Martin OM28v (which previously had the Anthem) and in my Collings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification