The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale88 View Post
If the saddle is very loose it will affect the tone and may even cause damage to the bridge due to the tilt. You can consider changing the saddle 🙂
Well I had my luthier do a setup on it after I got it and he didn't mention anything about it being loose. I had changed the strings right before I gave it to him to set up. That was the time it fell out. I did change strings again a couple of nights ago and do not remember it falling out. I will have to play closer attention next time I change the strings. I am sure he would not have glued it in so it is probably still loose. The tone seems fine and I don't notice a tilt but that is still a good point and I will monitor it.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-21-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Congrats on your FS5. I have not wanted a dread in years until this FGX5 and the FG800 I acquired in recent months and I can't tell that the size of a dread gives me any problems but I will always wonder if the FS5 would have been just as acceptable to me as the FG5. I just didn't have the luxury of playing either one before buying so I bought the FGX5 blindly and couldn't be happier. I wanted to err on the side of the FG having a boomier bass.
Thanks ctvolfan!

I too, might have been happy with the dread, but didn't have access to an FG5. I don't have any physical difficulty or pain holding a dread, but nevertheless wanted something that was easier to hold/manage, and perhaps a bit better balanced and more oriented toward finger-picking. I find the FS5 great on all those fronts, however that's not to say I wouldn't also have been delighted with an FG5, though probably for slightly different reasons. Certainly the FS5 projects quite well .

Better late, than never ...

2020: Yamaha FS5 Red Label
Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I got my saddle replaced with FMI and setup by Jarvis and it really rings now.
My factory bone saddle was quite loose & I only noticed it during the string change.
Good to check when you are changing strings

Interesting that you replaced it with a FMI saddle and glad you like it. I know Jarvis highly recommends it. But because folks here in AGF don’t seem to use it much, I opted for unbleached bone saddle when I send my GS Mini to him about 8-9 months ago.

Here’s the link to the thread & poll to “Favourite saddle material”. Voting is still open.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=551741

You can also do a search on very informative older threads on FMI here in AGF.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-22-2020, 12:26 AM

My previous Yamaha LL6 was setup with a bone saddle. Since I was sure I need a new saddle just decide to try out FMI for this one.
The stock bone saddle on my FS5 was really really loose. The thickness was way off. I could wriggle it up & down with my hands
Yamaha LL6
Old 02-22-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
My previous Yamaha LL6 was setup with a bone saddle. Since I was sure I need a new saddle just decide to try out FMI for this one.
The stock bone saddle on my FS5 was really really loose. The thickness was way off. I could wriggle it up & down with my hands

Hi Kale. If I were in your shoes, I would have tried a FMI too...or an unbleached bone saddle...since the original saddle that came with the FS5 was bleached bone. The important thing is that you like how your guitar sounds now.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion