The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-02-2017, 01:15 AM

I've got a zoom h5 and am very happy with it. Took a bit of fiddling to get it interfaced properly with garage band on my mac.

it's good to record yourself as early as you can. You learn heaps from listening.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've got a zoom h5 and am very happy with it. Took a bit of fiddling to get it interfaced properly with garage band on my mac.

it's good to record yourself as early as you can. You learn heaps from listening.
I had one go with mine and just set Auto gain ,xy mic hit record .Took SD card and popped it in laptop....there was a stereo recording .What could be simpler

Had to amplify the recording with Audacity.

I think recording makes you try harder as a new player

Last edited by Ze.; 06-02-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Slow down. Your guitar hero, who ever they may be, has been playing guitar forever. You aren't going to play or sound like them. You will learn to play better, but you will still sound Iike you.

You're not going to pick out one of their songs or lessons and nail it in 3 or 4 days.

You will still get string buzz once in a while and miss a note here or there.

It doesn't matter, just relax, have fun. Record yourself now, note the date, then record the same thing a year from now. Then you'll hear the difference. That old saying "you can't see the forest because of the trees" really applies to guitar playing pretty well.
I'm missing a few notes as i pick but it only changes the music ,it doesn't ruin it for me .What is ruining it for me is strength in my fret hand .I have done a ton of theory deciding to stay within the keys of the C major scale i have a ton of music to create but my fret hand lasts about 15 minuets each time pick up guitar ...thats actual playing not practising.My fret hand is really slowing me down right now .
Old 06-02-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze. View Post
I'm missing a few notes as i pick but it only changes the music ,it doesn't ruin it for me .What is ruining it for me is strength in my fret hand .I have done a ton of theory deciding to stay within the keys of the C major scale i have a ton of music to create but my fret hand lasts about 15 minuets each time pick up guitar ...thats actual playing not practising.My fret hand is really slowing me down right now .
It takes surprising little effort to fret a clean note with the left hand. Try looking at your left hand and consciously try to use as little force as possible to play a clean note. I've struggled with this as I play hard with my right hand and my brain wants to have equal force in both hands. I don't normally look at my hand as I play but that seems to be a key element in regulating the tension.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
It takes surprising little effort to fret a clean note with the left hand. Try looking at your left hand and consciously try to use as little force as possible to play a clean note. I've struggled with this as I play hard with my right hand and my brain wants to have equal force in both hands. I don't normally look at my hand as I play but that seems to be a key element in regulating the tension.
I can so relate to that. It's one of the most challenging aspects of "clean" left (fretting) hand movement.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That's the word i was looking for "tension" in right and left hand are hard to coordinate consistently to get the flow going for long enough .No doubt i could edit three minuets or so together but i'm trying to work towards sitting in front of someone and i want it to be better (more consistent )
Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 AM

In a discussion we had last night in my Thursday jam group, and what I tell others.....

It's a beginners natural thing to focus on just the chord hand. The picking/strumming hand gets ignored. (lets call it the right hand for most).

Lots of peeps I've seen will try to learn what someone is doing by studying their chord hand yet ignore the picking hand.

The right hand can have just as much if not more impact than the left hand. Imagine you don't know how to play any instrument, so you listen along to a song and you tap your hand on your leg to go along with it. Start doing that, then take off strumming like your tapping your hand.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
In a discussion we had last night in my Thursday jam group, and what I tell others.....

It's a beginners natural thing to focus on just the chord hand. The picking/strumming hand gets ignored. (lets call it the right hand for most).

Lots of peeps I've seen will try to learn what someone is doing by studying their chord hand yet ignore the picking hand.

The right hand can have just as much if not more impact than the left hand. Imagine you don't know how to play any instrument, so you listen along to a song and you tap your hand on your leg to go along with it. Start doing that, then take off strumming like your tapping your hand.
Assuming decent left hand work, it's the right hand that makes or breaks a song. Volume, tempo and attack all comes from the right hand. In a lot of ways the difference between a beginner and an intermediate player is the right hand.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:05 AM

This is a little picking that i'm struggling on with at the minuet to get me back into picking ...its in C and if i speed up i miss to many strings but it does sound good with a bit more rhythm to it .This is just to show where i'm at as a starter .

https://soundcloud.com/user-261794119/zoom0001
Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Very simple - have fun. All this is useless if you're not having fun.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Very simple - have fun. All this is useless if you're not having fun.
yea i'm having fun thanks for listening..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write