The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2016, 11:03 PM

Default My New Martin GPC-28E

My new Martin GPC-28E review

I agree with everything written by the new owner of the GPC-35E in another post. Me and another guitar player with a lot more experience spent a couple of hours comparing three new 2016 Martin models:
a D-28 Marquis,
a DC-28E and
a GPC-28E.

I thought I would love the Marquis and settle for the DC (dread) but was surprised...

We both preferred the GPC-28E over the DC-28E and felt the difference between the Marquis and the GPC-28E was marginal. The winner at a much lower price ($1,600 less and Marquis has no electronics) is the new GPC-28E model which I now own.

I've owned a 2009 Martin OMCPA3 model for two years and it is a wonderful guitar. But the GPC-28 is another step above in sound and quality. Much louder, PLEKed action is perfect, and quality oozes from this gloss masterpiece. Incredible sustain. The full dovetail probably explains the tone leap. Clearly better spruce top as well with marvelous silking. Like the grown man and his younger teen brother. The GPC-28E is just more mature and robust than its younger OM sibling.

To quote Spoon Phillips: "The GPC-28E sounds better unplugged than any guitar of similar size and price range made in the world today."

Previously when he was testing the new 2016 models he wrote: "Of all of them that I played at the factory...my ears and hands liked the GPC-28E and the OMC-18E the most of all."

High praise from a pro who plays all the Martin models for Maury's. His test of the GPC-28E can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrhkbP6KHA

I couldn't be happier with this guitar, though I find the VT enhance to be over the top if set above about 1/3. Sounds very similar in authenticity to the K&K I have in the OMCPA3 when plugged-in but slightly better. Couldn't be easier to operate with controls (volume, tone, enhance) super accessible while playing - inside the sound hole. Bottomline - GREAT guitar and so much cheaper than the Marquis. Both of us also liked it immensely over a Taylor 814CE he owns. Felt and sounded much better.

BTW - I tested these at Dusty Strings (wonderful store) in Seattle, but purchased a used GPC-28E from a pawn shop (5 months old - mint, plastic still on). Rich grandma bought it for a kid who traded it for nothing to get money for an electric guitar. I got it for a steal but would have gladly paid full price for this high quality guitar. Wanted a Standard level Martin, Performing Artist neck, full dovetail neck joint, 1 3/4 nut, VT electronics better than the ES2 in Taylors, and a cutaway. Martin finally capitulated and offered it all in one package. Ebony fretboard and saddle an extra blessing. Happy camper!

Last edited by strat4me; 11-06-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:01 AM

Big Congrats........ I've heard some good things written about GPC-28e. Spoon Phillips mentioned something about it and the OMC-18e. Enjoy mate.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Congrats too! Sounds like your 28E is as awesome as my 35E. Here's to many years of picking and grinning!

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your Martin GPC-28E, Enjoy!

I recently purchased a Martin GPC-18E that I'm fairly pleased with. At first, I had some reservations about the Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system but I've come to kind of appreciate it after relocating the wireguides to keep wiring away from the top and its braces. I found you have to be rather conservative with how much Enhance SBT signal you mix in as it adds a lot of mid-range and treble to the guitar's output. Although I do like the Aura VT enhance, I feel quite strongly that to get the best tone out of the system it's probably necessary to run the guitar's output through an outboard preamp/EQ device like a Grace Design Felix or LR Baggs Venue, or at the least, directly into a mixer and using its EQ to further tweak the amplified tone. Although it's likely a personal preference, I find the Taylor ES2 is able to output a very usable and pleasing tone by just manipulating its onboard controls and without any outboard EQ processing. I'm going to make comparison sound-files, which will include the miced guitars, to demonstrate the properties of each system, along with including a sound-file of my Martin HD-28 with its Trance Audio Amulet M system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-06-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Looking forward to your results. My GPC-28 goes through a pedal that EQs the sound but on bypass it seems to mirror fairly well the K&K mini-pure I have on my OMCPA3. Spoon Phillips raved about this guitar unplugged. I've spent almost all my time playing unplugged. Your observations echo those of another owner as well some months back. I respect your v posts immensely and value your findings.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat4me View Post
...To quote Spoon Phillips: "The GPC-28E sounds better unplugged than any guitar of similar size and price range made in the world today."
Todd is an incredibly talented guitar player, and quite knowledgeable when it comes to Martin guitars, but I would guess there are others out there with more experience with a wider range of brands than he, who would disagree with that statement. Besides the Taylor 814ce, which the Martin GP body is based on, there are grand auditoriums from builders like Lowden, Larrivee, Breedlove and others that have a very strong following.

Having said that, the Martin GP models are a wonderful addition to the brand, and have been doing quite well for the company. Congrats on the new guitar.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:27 PM

I have not been able to try the gpc-28e but really want to. I love the cutaway and have played the omc-28e and the omc-18e and both were very nice. I am mostly a Martin dred guy and think this might be a good choice and give a bigger fuller sound compared to he om version. Am surprised you liked it better than the Marquis. Do you think it is close to a dred sound or much closer than the om?

I did see CoreyCongilio a Martin artist and studio guy from Nashville plays the Gpc-28e and he does some awesome vids of Martins.

I compared the dc18e to the new D18 and wasn't close. The new D18 seemed way nicer and I was surprised. I then seen the dc18e has light strings and the d18 'has medium which could do that to my ears.

Anyways congrats and great choice.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Maury did a quick Gpc- vs DC vid. They ARE different. I would say the GPC is a nod in the Taylor direction tonally - not as boomy as a traditional dread and a bit brighter on the top strings. I have read that Marquis vary quite a bit. We played and compared in a sound room and that one was not a "wow" experience. I listened to side by sides comparing both with Spoon Phillips at Maury's where you can compare the same songs. Played snippets side-by-side and could clearly choose my favourites. YMMV 😋 It does seem to me that the cutaways DO have a different sound.

Last edited by strat4me; 11-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Todd is an incredibly talented guitar player, and quite knowledgeable when it comes to Martin guitars, but I would guess there are others out there with more experience with a wider range of brands than he, who would disagree with that statement. Besides the Taylor 814ce, which the Martin GP body is based on, there are grand auditoriums from builders like Lowden, Larrivee, Breedlove and others that have a very strong following.

Having said that, the Martin GP models are a wonderful addition to the brand, and have been doing quite well for the company. Congrats on the new guitar.
Good points all. The Taylor 814ce was a 2005, BTW. It was just not in the same league to both of us but it could have been that guitar. However, Phillips does a review if the new Taylor 814CE in his sight and loved it. He just seems to like the Martin GP more.

Would love to have the money for Lowden etc. At the Martin price range hard to find a non-Taylor with 1 3/4 nut width, cutaway etc. You can pick up nearly new ones for $2,300 or so. I got mine (5 months old and mint) for $1,850.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
I have not been able to try the gpc-28e but really want to. I love the cutaway and have played the omc-28e and the omc-18e and both were very nice. I am mostly a Martin dred guy and think this might be a good choice and give a bigger fuller sound compared to he om version. Am surprised you liked it better than the Marquis. Do you think it is close to a dred sound or much closer than the om?

I did see CoreyCongilio a Martin artist and studio guy from Nashville plays the Gpc-28e and he does some awesome vids of Martins.

I compared the dc18e to the new D18 and wasn't close. The new D18 seemed way nicer and I was surprised. I then seen the dc18e has light strings and the d18 'has medium which could do that to my ears.

Anyways congrats and great choice.

Last edited by strat4me; 11-06-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Congratulations on your Martin GPC-28E, Enjoy!

I recently purchased a Martin GPC-18E that I'm fairly pleased with. At first, I had some reservations about the Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system but I've come to kind of appreciate it after relocating the wireguides to keep wiring away from the top and its braces. I found you have to be rather conservative with how much Enhance SBT signal you mix in as it adds a lot of mid-range and treble to the guitar's output. Although I do like the Aura VT enhance, I feel quite strongly that to get the best tone out of the system it's probably necessary to run the guitar's output through an outboard preamp/EQ device like a Grace Design Felix or LR Baggs Venue, or at the least, directly into a mixer and using its EQ to further tweak the amplified tone. Although it's likely a personal preference, I find the Taylor ES2 is able to output a very usable and pleasing tone by just manipulating its onboard controls and without any outboard EQ processing. I'm going to make comparison sound-files, which will include the miced guitars, to demonstrate the properties of each system, along with including a sound-file of my Martin HD-28 with its Trance Audio Amulet M system.
Can you be more specific on what you did with your wiring. As you know the GPC is forward shifted but non-scalloped. I like the overtones on the scalloped OMCPA3 I own. Maybe the wiring alteration you made will loosen up the top a bit more?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you be more specific on what you did with your wiring. As you know the GPC is forward shifted but non-scalloped. I like the overtones on the scalloped OMCPA3 I own. Maybe the wiring alteration you made will loosen up the top a bit more?

The GPC-18E has scalloped/forward shifted bracing. That's one of the reasons I chose it over the GPC-28E--not that it would sound any better but I appreciate scalloping with the forward-shifted braces as it's in keeping with the features of my 2016 Martin D-18.

There's a lot going on under the hood of a Martin equipped with the Aura VT Enhance and I didn't like the way Martin routed the wiring for the system. What I did with the wire-guides in my GPC-18E was to peel them off the top-and-side kerfing, and relocate them on the sides of the guitar, just below the bottom of the top-and-side kerfing. In other words about an inch move directly downwards. I applied fresh adhesive (I used Trance Audio Amulet "permanent tape"). What this move of wire-guides did for me was enable me to manipulate the wiring away from the guitar's top and top braces so the wiring wouldn't contact these surfaces. This may have a positive effect on the tone but I suspect it has very little but this is the way I am--I hate slip-shod work of any kind. Your guitar may be wired with the wiring not touching any vibrating surface--it probably depends who at Martin happens to install the system on any given guitar. Another thing I had to do was bend the battery-wire downward so it wouldn't flop against the guitar's top when the guitar is shaken. If you're happy with your guitar, I wouldn't really bother to mess with the wiring unless it's current routing and contact points are something that bugs you too?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-06-2016, 05:11 PM

I'm a real fan of the new D18 and so are a lot other. Does the gpc-18e sound anything like it at all. Does it play like it with the same neck?It has the same. Racing and the same scalloping. I really liked the omc18e but have not found a gpc one to play.

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 11-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The GPC-18E has scalloped/forward shifted bracing. That's one of the reasons I chose it over the GPC-28E--not that it would sound any better but I appreciate scalloping with the forward-shifted braces as it's in keeping with the features of my 2016 Martin D-18.
Great advice. Thank you. I'm poor so would have purchased any of the new custaway standard models that came available cheap (GPC-28E was $1,850 mint, a few months old). Also live where Martin guitars beyond the X models are rare and no stores within 500 miles carry these models. Any of the three (18, 28, 35 in all 3 iterations) would be better than I deserve at my skill level so I definitely can't complain. The scalloping on the 18...very happy for you. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great advice. Thank you. I'm poor so would have purchased any of the new custaway standard models that came available cheap (GPC-28E was $1,850 mint, a few months old). Also live where Martin guitars beyond the X models are rare and no stores within 500 miles carry these models. Any of the three (18, 28, 35 in all 3 iterations) would be better than I deserve at my skill level so I definitely can't complain. The scalloping on the 18...very happy for you. Thanks again.
That's a GREAT PRICE you paid for your GPC-28E! Just to be clear, the scalloping of the braces may or may not make a guitar sound any better but will make a guitar sound a bit different than non-scalloping of the same X-brace. Your GPC-28E will sound more resonant in the bass tones than my GPC-18E because of your rosewood back-and-sides and it may have been a consideration of the Martin designers to use a non-scalloped/forward-shifted X-brace to keep the tone clear but warm as a scalloped X-brace may have imparted a muddy tone because of the rosewood's deeper resonance than mahogany's. It's all good! Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Anyone know how GPC-28 is different than GPC-35? Is it simply cosmetic? 3pc back from 2pc, bindings?

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion