The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsman View Post
My local store - House of Guitars - has a 2008 Hummingbird in stock. It is a very nice example of the Gibson brand - warm and woody sounding, very strong bottom end. However this guitar does not project as much as Martin D15M they have in stock, I even took my Epiphone to AB against the Gibson (wanted to see for myself how much better Gibson is). Both Martin and Epiphone projected better to the listener and were louder guitars.
Something about Hummingbird is that it feels like an old friend, this one was very easy to play and it will make a perfect accompanying instrument.
At $2K I decided to pass, there are better guitars to be had in that price range or for much less, such as: Breedlove Focus SE, Martin D18, Eastman E10D or E20D, Blueridge BR140A and 160A plus some Yamaha LL models I managed to play. I am referring to used prices.
That's surprising to me, the fact that the D-15M was louder than the bird.
I had a D-15M I cherry-picked from 4 examples the store had. It was a great sounding guitar but not very loud. My Country Western would drown it out by far, but it is almost as loud as my GE.
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM

I own a hummingbird quilted maple, bought last year. I also own taylors and martins. My hummingbird is just unique in sound and looks. I wouldn't change it for any martin guitar. The hummingbird is just too special and worth every penny

Elena GuitarChic
Martin OMPCPA4 Rosewood
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM

I always loved Hummingbirds.
Then I laid hands on a J-45.

I still love Hummingbirds.
But a J-45 is more versatile, costs less, and each scar makes them better.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
That's surprising to me, the fact that the D-15M was louder than the bird.
I had a D-15M I cherry-picked from 4 examples the store had. It was a great sounding guitar but not very loud. My Country Western would drown it out by far, but it is almost as loud as my GE.
I hear you there. Used to own 000-15M that I cherry picked from five guitars. That one was an exceptional guitar, but over the time I grew out of its tone. Spruce tops give me a larger dynamic range.
I had my friend play all three guitars, first the Hummingbird, Epiphone I brought and lastly their used D15M - while seemingly loud enough to the player Hummingbird didn't project out as much. Could be my ears were off a bit .
Didn't really pay much attention to the strings on it, remember them as a light gauge PB strings. My Epiphone is strung with medium gauge Martin 80/20 strings. I believe Martin D15M had light gauge PB strings.
I will have to give Hummingbird another play and will revisit this thread sometime later this week or so.
I have already played their Martin a couple of times and it is a very special dread indeed, fingerpicked or strummed it just sings, weighs very little. If I recall it right Martin is listed for $899, I was quoted $2200 out of the door for Hummingbird. Both are used instruments.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:23 PM

I've owned 3 hummingbirds. Many J45 and the like. The hummingbird holds a special place in my herd. The sweetness of it is unmatched. Love a good slope too! I went through many slopes till I found my kopp!
2006 Santa Cruz D12
2006 Gibson J100Xtra (Bubinga)
2013 Gibson OJ 1934 Reissue
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
Gibson Hummingbirds not as Popular as other Mahogany Guitars:

I hear a lot of talk about Mahogany B/S such as Martin D-18 or anything else in that matter, but THE HUMMINGBIRD I don't hear as much, why is that?

Do you think most people are staying away from it because of the steep price tag of $3,099 I remember growing up always wanting D-28 & a Hummingbird, I got a D-41 never got the Hummingbird, yet.

Im sure a bunch of you guys and girls have some old ones but any with-in the past 2 - 3 years?
The price and Gibsons history probably has a lot to do with it. But Gibson acoustics already have a tone that is very unique. And the Hummingbird tone is even more unique. No other guitar sounds like a Hummingbird. It is not for everyone. You will either love it or hate it. IMHO, there is no better guitar for vocal work. It just sits so nicely under the voice. Its a great singer songwriter guitar. Ive owned a great example of a modern classic 2011 model. Ive sold off all of my other guitars and have kept my 2013 True Vintage.
To me, it was well worth the money and its really the only acoustic guitar that I need.

If I were a bluegrass player or flat picker, I would definitely be playing some type of martin style guitar. But for what I do, this is The acoustic for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm kind of the opposite of many on this forum, I think, as I really wanted to love Martin guitars but found myself drawn to the Gibson sound. I now own two. I keep my H-bird at home and use the J-45 any time I'm out and/or traveling.

I can only speak for myself here, so I don't know why they're not more popular in general, but I hated the bling of the H-bird. When I was shopping for my first solid wood guitar I refused to play one for a long time until I was just fed up of looking and not finding anything that really struck me. I got over the looks when I found out that the pickguards are hand painted by one guy, which seemed cool, and the fact that the neck just fits my hands in a way that no other brand does. And, on top of that, it just had that sound I was looking for that I heard in my head. So, I started with a bias but was blown away when I gave one a fair shake.

They seem to be much more popular on the country scene though...no idea why that is.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 PM

I grew up listening to the Stones and their acoustic songs - many were done using the Hummingbird. The older '60s ones just have that "sound" I love. Plus they are lovely fingerpicking guitars. Are they loud? No, not as loud as others, but there's a lushness and sweetness they have that makes them unique. I think they have their own niche.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 PM

I am primarily a Martin player, I'm into bluegrass & the panoply of traditional fiddle tunes and folk n such. And anything else that sounds good on a Martin.

But my Country Western is the perfect vacation from my Martins. It has a small neck, it takes light strings, and it's a shorter scale; it is comparatively effortless to play. And it has the Hummingbird tone in spades, that balanced yet dynamic midrange tone with a warm, fuzzy bass and sweet highs. I've seen Gibson guys use the phrase "honey glaze" to describe the sweet tone of some mahogany Gibsons; I thought it was funny but I know exactly what they mean. My guitar has the honey glaze with PB's on it but monels make it sound honeyless. As others have said it's one of the best rhythm guitars for accompaniment and I love to play bendy leads on mine too. It's not a flatpicker, but that's what the Martins are for.

I think the J-200 is also much less popular than it was back in the day, but that's the Gibson that I'm GASing for now. And if Gibson ever made a reissue of the original slope shouldered Country Western I would be a buyer.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:35 AM

The Gibson sound, a discriminating aural limiter, together with the Gibson bling, an aesthetic limiter, doesn't make a lot of wallets nervous. When I was a kid with discretionary money in a well stocked store in Chicago I bought the Martin D-35 hanging on the wall to the left of a Hummingbird. To the right of that Hummingbird was a Dove, then a J-200. All three of those Gibsons I thought were odd in their appointments but I played them anyway. The Martin's voice easily seconded them so I bought it. It was $735.00 with the light gray/blue luggage-type hardshell case. Had those Gibsons been plainly appointed in similar look to the Martin, they still could not match it in sound. I was with a playing buddy at the time and we both wondered aloud who'd buy a red guitar.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:06 AM

I don't care much about what's more popular but I love my Gibson Hummingbird TV.
I bought it right after I had sold a Martin D28.
I got the bird purely because of its deep and unique sound.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:26 AM

I have a very good 1967, I have played a stellar new one, but the new one seems to sound more like a D18 than the old ones
Old 02-22-2020, 08:56 AM

Everyone likes something different. I've played a handful of Hummingbirds that were ok, but one that was jaw dropping outstanding. Every tree has its own sound. Still looking for a D-28 to wow me. My taste is my own.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM

No offense, but I think your opinion is anecdotal. There isn't any evidence that the Hummingbird is any less or more popular than at any other time.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Couple things that come to mind are bling and versatility.

If you are comparing a D-18 to the bird, the D-18 will be a much better all arounder, particularly if flatpicking duty will be required. The bird does one thing thing really well -- chunky chords, ie. rhythm support for a singer.
Which can now be done quite well with a J15 if you just need that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-22-2020 at 09:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion