The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyknots View Post
Maybe, it did look like a crack to me in the picture, which the seller said it was not. I totally would of bought it for the sound and playability though if it was in ok condition otherwise. lol darnit, I was gonna snipe the crap outta this auction.
yes, but who knows about the playability? the shot of the string height was fuzzy and i couldn't really tell how the saddle height was.

i definitely thought it was a crack. even the way the light reflected made it look like the top was bending towards the crack.

i didn't get a good feeling about this auction, but who really knows.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
How did you find the completed listing? I tried searching completed listings on ebay.com and ebay.ca and couldn't find nothing?
because i bought it!!!

just kidding. at the top of the original listing (and in my watch list) it said view relisted item. i'd guess this was an pre-arranged deal.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
How did you find the completed listing? I tried searching completed listings on ebay.com and ebay.ca and couldn't find nothing?
are you in canada? that may have interfered with your sniping, depending on how the seller set up the auction.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
because i bought it!!!

just kidding. at the top of the original listing (and in my watch list) it said view relisted item. i'd guess this was an pre-arranged deal.
lol It might of been. My email says that the item was relisted at 8:50 am or so, and sold around 9:30 am. Too fast for me evidently.

"are you in canada? that may have interfered with your sniping, depending on how the seller set up the auction. "

I'm in the US.

"yes, but who knows about the playability? the shot of the string height was fuzzy and i couldn't really tell how the saddle height was.

i definitely thought it was a crack. even the way the light reflected made it look like the top was bending towards the crack.

i didn't get a good feeling about this auction, but who really knows."

It looks exactly like a crack. Maybe the seller is just not really a guitar player, and doesn't really know what the beginning of a humidity crack looks like... or maybe he was just being dishonest. Although I would take an easily repairable crack any day instead of all the gouge's on the top that you just can't do nothing about. And the scratches in the fret board suck too. I figure you can fix a crack and get it looking at least decent, and a good luthier or repair guy can do a good job of minimizing one usually after cleating it. I think with a couple non-threatening cracks and a bunch of finish scratches all over it, (and of course a straight neck) this would of been a pretty darn good deal, and pretty inexpensive to get it playing and looking nice. Maybe even resell it later on for more than you paid you initially. But the gouges suck. It is hard not to suspect this guitar was not properly humidified when the air was overly dry or it was very hot out, given the care taken of this guitar in the first place, so I think it would of been reasonable to suspect potential humidity damage as well. It was coming from down south, it gets hot down there, just playing it in the sun for a half an hour in 90 degree weather could easily cause a crack, especially when a guitar is new. It has happened to me. The neck being warped would suck the worst I think, but if you knew what you were doing, and could fix any potential problems, than I think this (sound wise) would of been a good deal. The clarita I played was really a great guitar for the price.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
lol It might of been. My email says that the item was relisted at 8:50 am or so, and sold around 9:30 am. Too fast for me evidently.

It looks exactly like a crack. Maybe the seller is just not really a guitar player, and doesn't really know what the beginning of a humidity crack looks like... or maybe he was just being dishonest. Although I would take an easily repairable crack any day instead of all the gouge's on the top that you just can't do nothing about. And the scratches in the fret board suck too. I figure you can fix a crack and get it looking at least decent, and a good luthier or repair guy can do a good job of minimizing one usually after cleating it. I think with a couple non-threatening cracks and a bunch of finish scratches all over it, (and of course a straight neck) this would of been a pretty darn good deal, and pretty inexpensive to get it playing and looking nice. Maybe even resell it later on for more than you paid you initially. But the gouges suck. It is hard not to suspect this guitar was not properly humidified when the air was overly dry or it was very hot out, given the care taken of this guitar in the first place, so I think it would of been reasonable to suspect potential humidity damage as well. It was coming from down south, it gets hot down there, just playing it in the sun for a half an hour in 90 degree weather could easily cause a crack, especially when a guitar is new. It has happened to me. The neck being warped would suck the worst I think, but if you knew what you were doing, and could fix any potential problems, than I think this (sound wise) would of been a good deal. The clarita I played was really a great guitar for the price.
and there were no bids, so i'm guessing a buy it now was set up.

i think the seller may not have known what a crack was, and may have thought a "crack" would be much more drastic.

hopefully fitness1 will weigh in on all of this, he is very knowledgeable about classicals, condition and value, and ebay.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
and there were no bids, so i'm guessing a buy it now was set up.

i think the seller may not have known what a crack was, and may have thought a "crack" would be much more drastic.

hopefully fitness1 will weigh in on all of this, he is very knowledgeable about classicals, condition and value, and ebay.
There was one bid from a buyer. I thought this had sort of locked in the auction, so I was planning to bid at the end on thursday, to try to win it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I was kinda thinking that was a possibility.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
There was one bid from a buyer. I thought this had sort of locked in the auction, so I was planning to bid at the end on thursday, to try to win it.
i meant no bids on the second auction. who knows where the original auction would have ended. probably higher than $570.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
i meant no bids on the second auction. who knows where the original auction would have ended. probably higher than $570.
Ok, I gotcha. Ya, it might of got up there maybe. Alot of people will bid in the end of an auction. Evidently someone was interested besides me.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Default French Polish

Yeah, bumps and scratches sure can take a lot away from a guitar!

The plus side to a French polish finish is that it is fairly easy to fix... but still its better to becareful!!!

Paul Weaver
Lamareguitars.com
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I knew it was a pick
Or a screwdriver...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical