The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't imagine that gluing two pieces of a broken O Port back together would compromise the sound since it's more of a reflective port (as in a ported speaker cab) than a resonating structural member like the soundboard.

The trick, in my mind anyhow, would be finding an epoxy or something that actually works on plastic.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I don't imagine that gluing two pieces of a broken O Port back together would compromise the sound since it's more of a reflective port (as in a ported speaker cab) than a resonating structural member like the soundboard.

The trick, in my mind anyhow, would be finding an epoxy or something that actually works on plastic.
I with you; I don't think it makes a difference ... it's not like a tear in a speaker. As for fixing it, I imagine there are any number of sealants. I'm think of something like a silicon adhesive that will bend with the plastic. I even used that to attach my pedals to my pedal board ... they didn't move but you can remove them with a little elbow grease and a knife or similar tool to break the grip.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 PM

Don’t think you’ll see folks with Truly -highly crafted acoustic’s using the Port,but It could have some uses in the recording end with external mic’s
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 AM

Ralph, your not alone. Amazon is full of reviews of ripped-in-half O-ports.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM

I do find it odd that D'Addario came out with a product like the O-Port and didn't seem to do much to promote it. Especially if you're trying to market a product that isn't filling any particular void...
Old 01-15-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Guitars View Post
Don’t think you’ll see folks with Truly -highly crafted acoustic’s using the Port,but It could have some uses in the recording end with external mic’s
I pretty much agree with you regarding the guitars. As I said the O Port seemed to help my Esteban (for the life of me I still cannot find anywhere what "wood" this guitar is made of, certainly it's laminated but laminated what?). None of my guitars are expensive ones with the only all solid-wood one being the Masterbilt that I bought used with an original Epi hsc for $300.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-15-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm a bit thick but it seems to me that jamming something like this into your acoustic guitar is more likely than not going to have some effect, whether marginal or significant.

In none of the clips I've listened to has the guitar with this thing in it sounded better top me ears though. My ears are mine and I'm keeping them so that's just me.

edit: I just recalled that I have a similar or identical thing 'installed' on a cajon I have and it definitely changed the sound produced by the drum. In particular it made it easier to record.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Default My O-port experience

I bought an O-port on the recommendation of a music store employee (who played acoustic a lot). I tried it in a couple of my Epiphones, which are on the lower end side. I honestly couldn't tell that it made any difference, but I left it in one of those guitars.

Then I started noticing that when I used that guitar for playing and singing, whether in a smaller room unplugged or through a PA at open mic, I got better than usual feedback. People would say I sounded really good.

From that, my unscientific opinion is that even though you may not hear it yourself, something about the sound projection out, perhaps coupled with vocals, can be noticeable to the audience. It's not important enough to me to have someone else play my guitar so I can listen with the O-port in and with it out.

I do tend to agree that it's not a high-end guitar accessory. In fact, putting one in a Taylor or Gibson just seems wrong. Like putting ketchup on a hot dog or something....

Last edited by B W Rigby; 02-01-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: accidental duplicate post
Old 02-01-2020, 08:15 AM

Default My O-port experience

I bought an O-port on the recommendation of a music store employee (who played acoustic a lot). I tried it in a couple of my Epiphones, which are on the lower end side. I honestly couldn't tell that it made any difference, but I left it in one of those guitars.

Then I started noticing that when I used that guitar for playing and singing, whether in a smaller room unplugged or through a PA at open mic, I got better than usual feedback. People would say I sounded really good.

From that, my unscientific opinion is that even though you may not hear it yourself, something about the sound projection out, perhaps coupled with vocals, can be noticeable to the audience. It's not important enough to me to have someone else play my guitar so I can listen with the O-port in and with it out. And it wouldn't fit my main guitars anyway.

I do tend to agree that it's not a high-end guitar accessory. In fact, putting one in a Taylor or Gibson just seems wrong. Like putting ketchup on a hot dog or something....

Old 02-02-2020, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

...or like ketchup on a steak.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion