The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Ibanez Artwood Guitars

Are these any good? I'm thinking of getting a new acoustic, a solid top at least if an all-solid body is too expensive, and these were the ones available in a local music shop.

I also saw several Takamines, Seagulls, Yamahas and Arias but the store owner said that the Ibanez Artwoods were the "top of the line" in the store.

Anyone here who has experience with the brands I've mentioned? I can't really afford a Taylor or Martin and brands are limited over here...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Default Ibanez Artwood

I'll jump in here and give you my two cents. The Takamine line is nice and several of their entry level (the G series) have a solid top (which is the most important part of the sound). The Seagull line is made in Canada and is very well thought of and is considered a good buy for the dollar. Can't comment on the Aria line. The Artwood line by Ibanez is their top end guitar. Definitely a solid top, and if memory serves, solid back with laminate sides. They come in several different configurations. Ibanez does some very nice burst (which I am partial to). My advice to you, play all you can in the store, then make your choice based on what feels best and sounds best to your ears. Hope this helps and good luck.

Martin DX1KAE
Ovation K1111
Blueridge Gospel
Taylor GS-Mini
Takamine New Yorker
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM

The Artwood series is where quality for Ibanez acoustics begin.....They are more $ but you get a real guitar

Ibanez lower priced models look sweet, but sound sour......In my opinion

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Artwoods can be spectacular. Note, can be. They can vary a lot from individual guitar to guitar (what brand doesn't?), but if you find a winner they can be not just an incredible value but also a great guitar, period. I would say it's well worth your time to play all the Artwoods in the store.

Of the other brands you mention:

I've never played an Aria.
I've played a few Seagulls. They have a lot of fans on this forum, though personally I have yet to be blown away by one. I thought they were okay, not memorable.
I have played a couple Takamines that were quite good, and a lot that were okay. I'd like to play more sometime since I have a feeling I could find one I like.
Yamaha: same as Takamine above.

As has been said, play everything you can and pick the one that sounds and feels right to you. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM

Cool, thanks for the responses guys A final question to ask is if a solid-top guitar is THAT much different from one with an all-solid body construction.

Happy New Years everyone!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfizer View Post
Cool, thanks for the responses guys A final question to ask is if a solid-top guitar is THAT much different from one with an all-solid body construction.

Happy New Years everyone!
Maybe. Anything is possible in the world of guitars due to the variability of materials, manufacture and transport/storage.

A solid top guitar will almost always sound better than a laminated top. A solid wood guitar will usually sound better, at least over time, than a laminated back/sides guitar...but not always depending on the quality of the back/sides and the quality of construction/bracing etc.

Taks are really good electrified acoustics. Artwoods are Ok as are Yamaha solid topped guitars. I don't like the necks on Seagulls. Unless you plan on plugging in regularly I would recommend putting your money into a non electrified acoustic. That way all your money is invested in the best acoustic, rather than diverted towards electronics you won't use that often.

I've never played a plywood guitar that can touch any of my guitars, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 AM

Have a look at guilds. I went into a shop and tried most guitars in the sub £500 range, plus a few above and the guild blew them away. All solid wood, great build quality and sound, and a hard case too. For theory you won't find anything better.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Ibanez AW3000

I have an Ibanez AW3000 - solid Englemann spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. Grover tuners, rosewood trim. It is a fabulous sounding guitar. I often bring it to my local Guitar Center and play test it against other manufacturers and it stands up very well.

This guitar sure sold me on an all solid wood guitar vs. laminated back & sides. I have laminated guitars also and don't mean to imply bad tone but there is a slight difference to my ear.

I also love the Ibanez neck - satin finish and a little thicker than many other manufacturer models I have tried - the thicker neck fits my hand better.

Love my Ibanez guitar!!!
Old 01-02-2024, 04:36 PM

Default Ibanez Artwood

First post on AGF!

I have a few guitars, a Seagull Artist Studio dread, 50s Harmony H173, and an Alvarez LJ2. Recently acquired a 2012 AC240 in near mind condition. I had read on the forum of the amazing bang for your buck on these and decided to give it a go. Upon first receiving it I wasn't impressed. But a combination of old strings and high action will do that to you. Upon putting on some Elixir PB lights, sanding down the saddle and adjusting truss rod it sounded like a completely different guitar.

Having had it for 1 month now it is darn near my favorite guitar. The open pore finish is a treat to touch and look at. The solid mahogany top gives such a deep rumble on open C and E chords. Using a capo at 6th fret still gives it a pure ring and sustain. All for $200 used!

I have loved it so much I am currently waiting on a a AVM10NT to arrive so I can take this comfortable size guitar and specs on a torrefied spruce top. I am an Ibanez Artwood convert.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:38 PM

We all are just giving our opinion of our experience so heres mine. Ifyou are going to play plugged, an all laminated guitar is best cause you can control the sound better than a solid top.

Dont bother with lam back sides/solid top. Acoustically they sound better than an all lam but not as good as an all solid.

Lam sides/solid back sides is a good choice If youre going to be playing all acoustic but there are very few of those available.

An all solid guitar is also good for acoustic, IMO not for plugged all the time.

Different brands of all solid are going to sound different so you have to play them all to find the sound you like, in any price range. But its really amazing what you can get nowadays for under 5C.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Since the OP asked his question 12 years ago

I presume he isnt still reading these recommendations

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion