The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Zoom Q3HD - due in November

http://samsontech.com/products/produ...fm?prodID=2062

Adds HD, lighting modes, a new menu system, and

AUDIO INPUT

to the Q3. I'm glad I have a few gear pennies tucked away. The audio in is specified as a Line In, which could mean anything in Zoom-land, but I have attenuators and I'm not afraid to use them.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Q3hd

See any early pricing? This could be the ticket!

Breedlove Performance Focus (SC25CRe)
Breedlove Studio BJ350SMe Bass.
Custom, Rushing 000 Bubinga/Spruce w/Fishman Rare-Earth Blender SHPU
Taylor GSMini
Ibanez AS-73 electric
Giannini Cedar top Nylon A/E
Gibson 1924 Tenor Banjo
Gold Tone Oval Hole Mando
Rozini Prof. Mod. Cavaquinho (A/E)
Kala Baritone Uke
Cordoba Concert Uke
Mainland Mahog. Tenor Uke

Old 10-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Looks like Zoom addressed my major concerns with the original Q3. I just wish the 4X zoom was optical instead of digital. Still, I finally might have to take the plunge. I love my H2 and H1 and either should work with the Q3HD.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
http://samsontech.com/products/produ...fm?prodID=2062

Adds HD, lighting modes, a new menu system, and

AUDIO INPUT

to the Q3. I'm glad I have a few gear pennies tucked away. The audio in is specified as a Line In, which could mean anything in Zoom-land, but I have attenuators and I'm not afraid to use them.

Fran
Why is the audio input a big deal? I would think that the purpose this unit serves is that it combines GOOD mics with HD video. If you just want to use external audio with HD video, you can get a Kodak Zi8, which is probably about half the price of this thing.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Looks like the retail price is $299.00... with any luck, Amazon will run a special on them like they did the original Q3 a year ago...
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Fran,

I had a suspicion this was going to be released soon. As long as they dont compromise the audio, I'm in.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Why is the audio input a big deal? I would think that the purpose this unit serves is that it combines GOOD mics with HD video. If you just want to use external audio with HD video, you can get a Kodak Zi8, which is probably about half the price of this thing.
A camera mounted mic is compromised by the distance from the source. In an average living space, placing the mic three or four feet away, as required when it's on the camera, results in a typical washed out boxy sound with as much room noise as music.

The Zi8 mic input is limited by the auto level circuitry or whatever adds so much noise, pumping, and distortion to the signal and makes setting levels so hard.

I'm generously presuming that Zoom will do a good job with the sensitivity and noise performance of the line input on this unit. If they do, it will be the only camera I know of costing less than $2000 with good quality audio inputs.

Fran
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
The Zi8 mic input is limited by the auto level circuitry or whatever adds so much noise, pumping, and distortion to the signal and makes setting levels so hard.

Fran
Cannot decide on Zi8, Zi10 (PlayTouch) or Q3HD. I plan to use the external mic option and wondering if the Zi10 has solved the problem you mention. I have an H2 but was going to sell it to get a video recording device.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Default Q3 and mics

What mic might work in the line input on the Q3? Would it work plugged in raw or require some other adaptation before going into the Q3? Would that external mic also disable the stereo mics on the unit or not? Any clues? Anyone is likely more knowledgeable than me on this stuff.

Breedlove Performance Focus (SC25CRe)
Breedlove Studio BJ350SMe Bass.
Custom, Rushing 000 Bubinga/Spruce w/Fishman Rare-Earth Blender SHPU
Taylor GSMini
Ibanez AS-73 electric
Giannini Cedar top Nylon A/E
Gibson 1924 Tenor Banjo
Gold Tone Oval Hole Mando
Rozini Prof. Mod. Cavaquinho (A/E)
Kala Baritone Uke
Cordoba Concert Uke
Mainland Mahog. Tenor Uke

Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmar355 View Post
What mic might work in the line input on the Q3? Would it work plugged in raw or require some other adaptation before going into the Q3? Would that external mic also disable the stereo mics on the unit or not? Any clues? Anyone is likely more knowledgeable than me on this stuff.
Since the input is specified as a Line In it will require a preamp to bring a mic signal up to the proper level. With a preamp, you'll be able to use a pair of any kind of mics (or a single mic if you make connections to deliver the signal to both sides of the stereo input).

Without access to documentation I can't say for certain, but I would expect an external audio connection to disable the internal mics.

Fran
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great, I will to keep an eye out for it. So that means that the audio and video could be conceivably captured on one unit, assuming you have an external preamp? So no more importing into your DAW and syncing things up. You could straight from the Zoom unit to Youtube.

Anton
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I'm generously presuming that Zoom will do a good job with the sensitivity and noise performance of the line input on this unit. If they do, it will be the only camera I know of costing less than $2000 with good quality audio inputs.

Fran
I hope you're right. While I know that there is some compression (or limiting) on the Zi8 when the level was high, was hope that turning the level way down would resolve this, but based on what you're saying this introduces a fair amount of noise.

This leaves me with a dilemma. I have a Zi8 and a Zoom H2. I can effectively get the same thing with the combination of those 2, but I have to sync the audio after the fact. However, I'm not sure having to do that is that big of a deal. I'm not doing this every day. I think what would actually most convince me to make the switch would be if the quality of the video on the new zoom was better. I'm curious about the lighting modes, in particular.

Anyway - I'm definitely gonna stay tuned here...
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
I hope you're right. While I know that there is some compression (or limiting) on the Zi8 when the level was high, was hope that turning the level way down would resolve this, but based on what you're saying this introduces a fair amount of noise.

This leaves me with a dilemma. I have a Zi8 and a Zoom H2. I can effectively get the same thing with the combination of those 2, but I have to sync the audio after the fact. However, I'm not sure having to do that is that big of a deal. I'm not doing this every day. I think what would actually most convince me to make the switch would be if the quality of the video on the new zoom was better. I'm curious about the lighting modes, in particular.

Anyway - I'm definitely gonna stay tuned here...
First, everything is taste - I was happy with the H2 as mic into the Zi8 until I tried to get a really clean recording, it just wasn't happening. But for many people this method might be good enough.

Second, syncing is really a snap if you get a good "clap" to give you an obvious sync point. Now that REAPER has video features it's even easier and cheaper. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...deo-in-reaper/

Since the Q3HD is scheduled for November it might not be out until February (based on the H1 release schedule) so there's plenty of time to learn to get the most out of the Zi8/H2 combo. There's always going to be new gear, but plenty to record and video in the meantime.

Fran
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
First, everything is taste - I was happy with the H2 as mic into the Zi8 until I tried to get a really clean recording, it just wasn't happening. But for many people this method might be good enough.

Second, syncing is really a snap if you get a good "clap" to give you an obvious sync point. Now that REAPER has video features it's even easier and cheaper. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...deo-in-reaper/

Since the Q3HD is scheduled for November it might not be out until February (based on the H1 release schedule) so there's plenty of time to learn to get the most out of the Zi8/H2 combo. There's always going to be new gear, but plenty to record and video in the meantime.

Fran
I'm not actually using the H2 as a mic for my Zi8...i'm using my H2 with an AT822 stereo mic into it, recording the audio separately and syncing up with the video from the Zi8 after the fact. I've been using Sony Vegas for this, and it's really easy - and I agree re the "clap" - I don't go as far as actually taking one of those things they use for movies, but I kind of mimic it with my arms.

So, the deal is - I'm happy with the end result now - the audio is good and the video is fine, BUT if I could not have to muddle with 2 devices at gigs and, potentially get slightly better video in low light situations (I recognize this is a pipe dream at this price point, but a minor improvement would be welcomed), then I think I'd go with the Q3HD.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 AM

Would be very interested to hear what the 'best' solution is, ideally I'd like to stick to one gadget with an external mic, maybe the Zi10 has improved audio circuitry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD