The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM

This is an interesting question with many well thought out replies. I don't post anything on Youtube, but I enjoy seeing people cover songs. Sadly, I have rarely found some one doing an original song on Youtube that really grabbed me. I think there are far more people who can play guitar well, or sing well than people who are good songwriters or lyricists.

With so many people coming of age in a time where music comes out of a little box and is controlled by major corporations, rather than uncle Zeb pulling out his banjo and mom and sis singing harmonies on the front porch.

YouTube is the modern high-tech front porch. And even songs like "Stairway",are the new folk songs, passed on from generation to generation. After the young nephew (or not so young) finally learns to fumble through "Wildwood Flower" he wants to share it, and it's fun to watch, just as it's fun to watch our cousin who plays the same song spot on with crazy flourishes.

Now I'd much rather be sitting on a porch listening or playing but I like that people play music wherever it may be and I'm happy that they want to share it.

With out people playing other peoples songs where would Bluegrass ,Folk Music, or Classical music be. And we would have missed out on all those great Johnny Cash versions of other peoples songs.

I'm guessing that for those people on YouTube, they find a song they like, learn to play it, and want to share it on our modern day front porch.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM

i think it's tha same to play for ten people in a pub rather than video passionate people bin front of a video.

The amateur doesn't take money.
The professional use you tube to promote his cd and live concerts.
And take money from there.

Sure that These ones, their promoters are using this technology for their interest,
Don't worry.
No problem for me.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemagic View Post
This is an interesting question with many well thought out replies. I don't post anything on Youtube, but I enjoy seeing people cover songs. Sadly, I have rarely found some one doing an original song on Youtube that really grabbed me. I think there are far more people who can play guitar well, or sing well than people who are good songwriters or lyricists.

With so many people coming of age in a time where music comes out of a little box and is controlled by major corporations, rather than uncle Zeb pulling out his banjo and mom and sis singing harmonies on the front porch.

YouTube is the modern high-tech front porch. And even songs like "Stairway",are the new folk songs, passed on from generation to generation. After the young nephew (or not so young) finally learns to fumble through "Wildwood Flower" he wants to share it, and it's fun to watch, just as it's fun to watch our cousin who plays the same song spot on with crazy flourishes.

Now I'd much rather be sitting on a porch listening or playing but I like that people play music wherever it may be and I'm happy that they want to share it.

With out people playing other peoples songs where would Bluegrass ,Folk Music, or Classical music be. And we would have missed out on all those great Johnny Cash versions of other peoples songs.

I'm guessing that for those people on YouTube, they find a song they like, learn to play it, and want to share it on our modern day front porch.

I really like this front porch analogy.

Far too many people view music as a spectator sport that is only worth doing if you are a professional at it. I think this is a tragedy. Music started out as something that ordinary people did - artistic expression, including musical expression, is sort of one of the fundamental characteristics of our species. Everyone can potentially have active involvement in making music of some sort or other.

As I think about this, I have to wonder whether the YouTube phenomenon might actually be encouraging more people to get into music because they see lots of examples of other ordinary people making music and enjoying it.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 AM

why? to mess around with playing just as a hobby. just because one plays doesn't mean you HAVE to play originals. classical musicians often play only covers if you think about it unless they happen to also be composers which is most often a different profession altogether.

some folks write songs, others don't, that simple.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
I see how it benefits the viewer, not so much how it benefits the one posting the video, though. Like I said, I guess you get "it" wherever you can.

To me, I'd rather have one exceptional open mic performance than a 100Personal Messages. But hey, if everyone is staying home, watching Youtube and no one is going out, then I guess "there goes THAT plan."

Thanks a lot, guys!

Its free marketing. I've played a few gigs and a session or two that resulted from being seen on YouTube. I put up an "infomercial" on YouTube about a guitar book I've written - its received over 200,000 views, I've sold lots of books from it, and a professor at Berklee is using my book with his students as a result of seeing my YouTube video. Not bad for having spent an hour making a video using my laptop's built in camera.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM

It is an easy place to post something so a family member can see it. The same reason we have facebook and the like supplementing private emails. Youtube host your video and you send uncle or mom a link. The performance itself is meant for them, family, but its not so personnel that you worry about the whole world seeing it. Because even someone else does see it so what, playing sax on Arsenio Hall's show didn't hurt President Clinton.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM

There's no attraction for me. My playing/singing partner makes noises about posting a video to YouTube, and I resist. I don't see the point, and see little return on the time invested. Putting up some half-azzed recording of poor audio quality and grainy video does no justice to the hard work we put into our duo guitar arrangements and harmony vocals. I feel the same way about demo CD's ... anything we produce should be of the same high quality as our live performance, not thrown together with the attitude "it's only a demo".
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Youtube is the best thing that ever happened to musicians all over the world...
I remember some 30 odd years ago, having to lift the arm of my (mono) record player to play the part from Albert King, Ligntnin' Hopkins, Clapton, Beck etc..... over and over until I got it right on my guitar. Now, you get not only to hear but actually see the action on the neck, which is invaluable, to work on a piece (for those who don't already know it all). Music is for EVERYBODY to enjoy (either as a player or a listener) and youtube is a wonderful sharing platform for aspiring musicians all around the planet!
Not to mention what Djwayne said: It's fun and easy to share heavy files with friends and family (in case nobody else enjoys).
Whomever tells you he became a great player (regardless of the instrument) without ever benefiting from the influence from others, is either a genius or a liar.
Without youtube, I would have probably never heard this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J503OvHWKko
Long live youtube!!!!!

Last edited by bluesypicky; 12-06-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
I guess I was tring to ask "why would anyone post themselves playing some standard that has been done a million times without at least trying to add some originality to it?" That is a more acccurate question.

Regards, Christian
Because for a vast number of guitarists, just getting it where it sounds like the original was a lot of work, and they're proud of it. People recognize the effort and comment on it. It's fun for people.

Getting to the next level is not something that everyone will attain.

Should they not be proud of their efforts?

Last edited by surfoxy; 12-06-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemagic View Post
This is gold. Well said, from someone who gets it.

In addition to this, I'm betting the amount of music and get-togethers is only fueled and multiplied by YouTube and the like. I would never have know about the jams 30 miles from my house, or the communities of players introduced to me by the internet.

Heck, why would anyone get on a guitar forum and wonder what the appeal is of YouTube? Why talk about music on a forum, when you can play music or listen to it on YouTube? If any interaction is odd, it's this one!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM

One reason could be that your video comes up when someone is looking for the original, then they click along to your own material. It's a long shoot but it's bound to happen a cuople of times now and then.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
There's no attraction for me. My playing/singing partner makes noises about posting a video to YouTube, and I resist. I don't see the point, and see little return on the time invested. Putting up some half-azzed recording of poor audio quality and grainy video does no justice to the hard work we put into our duo guitar arrangements and harmony vocals. I feel the same way about demo CD's ... anything we produce should be of the same high quality as our live performance, not thrown together with the attitude "it's only a demo".
There's no reason in the world why your video should have poor audio quality and grainy video.

Starting about a year ago YouTube changed their format to include pretty high quality video and acceptable audio. If you give them a good looking clip in the right format, it will come back looking good.

Of course, creating a good looking video is just as much or more work than creating a good sounding demo CD.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
There's no reason in the world why your video should have poor audio quality and grainy video.

Fran
..... and the Zi8 made that affordable too!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM

My first dealings with YT, as a viewer, were when I played with a group that was constantly learning new material, including some original stuff by the "leader." He would post various parts on YT and email us the link. We could, at our convenience, view the video to learn our parts - instrumental and/or vocal. Very effective.

As a "poster," I just started this week. (I posted something yesterday in "Show and Tell.") The idea started when my parents wanted to see/hear my son and I perform something together. Again, emailing them the YT link was, by far, the most effective way to do that.

It's doubtful I will become one of AGF's "look what I did with 'Stairway'" guys; I share in the OP's wonderment about folks frequently posting their amateur attempts to emulate their favorite songs, but hey, what's the harm?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Years ago whenI first started playing guitar, I used to go camping alot and bring the guitar along. We used to jam with other players that were at the campground. This is how we learned how to play many different songs. Everybody was playing different things. This same pnenominom is happening on YouTube. I can learn how to play things by watching other people, you know, monkey see, monkey do ....it's like an international jam session or guitar lessons for free, you get out of it what you put into it. For example, I saw the 12 string version of SRV's Pride and Joy and said hey I can do that, so with a little practice, I'll add that to my song list. Plus putting up video's gives you the experience, and know how on how to actually do it. After awhile, putting up a video is no big deal. I've uploaded songs to SoundClick, and listening to music is fun, but but watching a video is much better in my opinion, especially when you can see how the song is actually played. Annnd once you have your equipment paid for, it becomes a free hobby or past time, as there is no charge to post or watch You Tube. I really like that part !!

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD