The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
All that work! Cutting, stacking, delivering.

I have a remote. I click the button......poof.....fire. Click again, and it goes off.
I think of the work as being part of my physical fitness program. And I love being outdoors and particularly in the woods. For me it's very therapeutic. Cutting firewood and cutting grass and maintaining the gardens has kept me in pretty good shape for a lot of years. I also use a Nordic Track in the winter months.

- Glenn
Old 02-21-2020, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Looks good, Randy.

Back when I lived in your neck of the woods, I had a really good wood stove. Kept my little cabin toasty through some pretty nasty winters (you’ll recall what 94/95 was like).

A good wood guy is a jewel.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-21-2020, 11:07 AM

I have a wood burning fireplace insert that takes outside air for combustion, has various damper settings and a variable speed blower to circulate room air around the firebox. It does a good job of heating the main floor. Also the brick back side of the fireplace faces my entry hall and radiates a lot of heat by the front door. After a few hours I can't keep the home below 72 F with everything on low.

I live on the dry side of WA where all the famous peaches, cherries, plums, pears, and apples grow. There is always a lot of fruitwood available when the growers prune and thin their orchards. I have a long bed 3/4 ton Chevy with a high topper on it and can fit almost a cord of wood in it. I go to the orchards and fill up for $40 - $60.

Our winters are typically in the teens - low 30's, but it can drop below zero (fahrenheit). A cord of wood lasts us about a month and a half. If I run out I have a gas furnace.

If I want a cord of wood delivered to my house its $150 - $250. If I want them to stack it I think they'd just laugh.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think of the work as being part of my physical fitness program. And I love being outdoors and particularly in the woods. For me it's very therapeutic. Cutting firewood and cutting grass and maintaining the gardens has kept me in pretty good shape for a lot of years. I also use a Nordic Track in the winter months.

- Glenn
Nordic track in the winter? That's why we have snow! I love to go XC skiing.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:34 PM

I used to cut, split, stack about 10 to 12 face cords at a cost of about $500 cdn (325us$?). After a couple hernias, though, I kind of gave that up and pay about $100 cdn (75us$?) a face cord delivered and ready to burn (all hard wood). Kids and grand kids stack. But man, some of you pay a small fortune for wood down there!
Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Those who read and can remember the OP of this thread may recall that it began with a remark from my neighbor about the high cost of my firewood. Many of you agreed with me that firewood is like many other things, you get what you pay for. I must state that there's no competition going on here - I order and pay for wood that suits my needs. I like to get larger loads so I don't have to worry about running out any time soon. It should be seasoned hardwood, and I don't want to stack it myself due to my bad back. Given those parameters, I don't want to grossly overpay, but I'm simply not interested in the cheapest firewood ad on Craigslist.

Fast forward to today, and I saw that my neighbor had gotten a "load" of firewood from the local guy. I suppose she has certain priorities as well, but was surprised to see that the freshly delivered pile of firewood in her driveway appeared to contain a lot of red cedar i.e. Juniperus virginianus, which smells good in closets and little wooden boxes from Stuckeys, but doesn't make good firewood. This same local guy had delivered a bunch of cedar to me once, and it was then that I decided, "No more." Clearly her desire to support the local economy tops mine - is there a connection to guitar buying in this? Maybe...

Overall, Cedar firewood is on the low end when you are ranking best firewoods in terms of heat produced. Cedar has a BTU of around 12.2 to 13 while Hickory has a BTU of 27.7 and Oak has a BTU of 25.7.

Last edited by RP; 02-27-2020 at 01:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic