The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-16-2020, 03:55 AM

Default Flamenco Blanca build

Hi all, here are a few pics of my Flamenco Blanca build. Back and sides, Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress), top, Engelmann Spruce, Neck, Australian Red Cedar, Rosewood bindings, Planetary pegs, 5 fan brace with closing braces, tantalones in King William Pine for top linings and macrocarpa solid strip for back linings.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Looks great! I especially like the herringbone-style framing of the side slabs. Hope she sounds as good as she looks. Dry, snappy, raspy, tight, and lively?
Old 01-28-2020, 02:09 PM

Interesting, and beautiful! Would you make some comments about Australian cedar? Is it commonly also used for classical guitar tops by Australian luthiers as an eqivalent to WRC?

Last edited by FrankHS; 01-28-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Looks great! I especially like the herringbone-style framing of the side slabs. Hope she sounds as good as she looks. Dry, snappy, raspy, tight, and lively?
Yes, all those things! By keeping it under 1.2 kg (1091g) the guitar has a great "Flamenco" sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Interesting, and beautiful! Would you make some comments about Australian cedar? Is it commonly also used for classical guitar tops by Australian luthiers as an equivalent to WRC?
I have used Australian Red Cedar for tops on Steel strings but not on a Classical guitar yet. I have found that the old forest grown trees (harvested as storm blown or dead down trees) are much better than the plantation grown variety. Here's a build with it as a top. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=564504

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical