The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 04:26 PM

So let's game this out. Eastmans have a fine reputation for good guitars at a reasonable price. Bourgeouis has a great reputation at a premium price. The new models will most likely be of better quality than Eastman but cheaper than Bourgeouis.

I don't see the downside.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
So let's game this out. Eastmans have a fine reputation for good guitars at a reasonable price. Bourgeouis has a great reputation at a premium price. The new models will most likely be of better quality than Eastman but cheaper than Bourgeouis.

Neither do I. It sounds like win-win to me.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Thats funny i have been looking for an eastman parlor.I must admit my Bourgeois is my favorite
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Neither do I. It sounds like win-win to me.
I guess it comes down to to extent Bourgeois is required to share its intellectual property by having manufacturing in China: https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/new...rty/index.html

Quote:
Chinese rules require foreign firms who want to enter certain industries -- such as energy, telecommunications and autos -- to form joint ventures with local partners, which often results in the transfer of technology to the Chinese companies.
Although one could argue there is nothing wrong with the Chinese obtaining the intellectual property of American guitar makers, as ultimately, it doesn't matter what country or race of people build the guitars, as long as at the end of the day consumers get to play them.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Wolf View Post
I guess it comes down to to extent Bourgeois is required to share its intellectual property by having manufacturing in China: https://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/new...rty/index.html

Although one could argue there is nothing wrong with the Chinese obtaining the intellectual property of American guitar makers, as ultimately, it doesn't matter what country or race of people build the guitars, as long as at the end of the day consumers get to play them.
Uh... what?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Uh... what?
Yup. They have an interesting code of ethics.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Seems to me they are trying to have their cake and eat it to. Might work, time will tell. Either way it was a good business move IMO.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 AM

NAMM is going on right now. Eastman there? I wonder if there have been any announcements about this yet?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:00 PM

If they want to water down the brand by having guitars made over seas to make a fast buck its on them. I wish them the best of luck. At least its a reputable, imo the only currently reputable Chinese company making guitars. Dont think they are doing this because they "cant" produce these units in the states at the same or better price point. They are doing it because they are hiring a company that pays less then livable wages to employees.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Oh, my... conjecture level is getting awfully high.

jklotz, The Acoustic Shoppe did a live stream, which is now on YouTube, where they briefly discussed the strategic alliance. Nothing new to report, except that the Maine luthiers visited Beijing, and the Beijing luthiers visited Maine.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
NAMM is going on right now. Eastman there? I wonder if there have been any announcements about this yet?
Indeed, I am checking up on NAMM news but have not seen anything Eastman or Bourgeois related. Someone please post some pics/news.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
....... They are doing it because they are hiring a company that pays less then livable wages to employees.
Ummm, Eastman is likely the owner.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post

Yeah. Throw in job security post Dana and (probably) increased benefits for his employees, it sounds like a win.

Being a Bourgeois fanboy (have 2, have had 5 over the years. am looking at adding one more) this partnership doesn't faze me.

Best of luck to them.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 AM

https://bourgeoisguitars.net/our-new...ration-update/
Old 01-18-2020, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
If they want to water down the brand by having guitars made over seas to make a fast buck its on them. I wish them the best of luck. At least its a reputable, imo the only currently reputable Chinese company making guitars. Dont think they are doing this because they "cant" produce these units in the states at the same or better price point. They are doing it because they are hiring a company that pays less then livable wages to employees.
You say it is the only reputable Chinese company, so you are saying the Chinese company that manufactures Breedlove guitars, for example, who are doing the same thing as Bourgeois, are not reputable?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion