The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default annoying pinging sound on new X10

I got my new X10 in today. That was quick!

When I play an open A string in addition to hearing the A note I'm hearing a very high G note. It's quite annoying. I seem to remember reading another Emerald post where the op was experiencing something similar. I can't get in touch with Emerald until Friday (I hope Friday, i don't know if they're on vacation), since tomorrow is New Year's day. When the A string is fretted, I don't hear that g note or any extra note. There is an element pickup installed with volume and tone controls in the sound hole. And the saddle is like the one on the X7. I haven't yet put on new strings.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how to eliminate it (if that's possible).
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 12-31-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I had the high tone on my X10 after a string change - it was coming from the string, between the nut and the tuner. I put one of my wife's hair ties over the headstock across the strings - no more high G tone.

It went away at the next string change. Weird.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had the high tone on my X10 after a string change - it was coming from the string, between the nut and the tuner. I put one of my wife's hair ties over the headstock across the strings - no more high G tone.

It went away at the next string change. Weird.
Thanks Captain--I tried the elastic hair tie trick to no avail. If I tune the A string down to a G I no longer get the unwanted overtone. Not a solution but it's more information. I will put new, lighter gauge strings on tomorrow and see what happens.

It's a beautiful guitar. I'm getting used to a longer scale length than I've been playing. If I were going to spring for a custom I would get a somewhat shorter scale length. I've been noticing that I play songs faster than normal. I think this is because the carbon fiber fretboard is so fast.

So I am exploring this guitar. Tomorrow I will fire up the pickup and see how it sounds plugged in. It has the element pickup with volume and tone controls.

I have never before purchased a guitar i didn't spend hours playing before buying, so this is quite an adventure!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-31-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

On mine, that high tone was coming from the B-string, above the nut. I could put my finger on it (after I figured out where that sound was coming from) and it would stop.

Speaking of a custom scale, I did go with a 24.6" scale on my X10, making it a 13 fret to the body. I really like the 1 11/16" nut width; more that I thought I would. I have a couple electrics with that nut width, so I knew it would work for me. I went with the Level 2 pickups.

I have the Element VTC on my X20 and find that works well for me on that guitar. I trust you will be happy with that on your X10.

Keep us posted on how plugging in works for you with it.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2019, 11:51 PM

This sounds very much like a nut slot issue.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Yes I agree the nut is the culprit. I would try one size larger as well. Recently happened on an electric I have. Larger string helped fill up the overcut nut slot in my case.
Watching closely as I have an X10 coming this month. Not interested in the sitar effect either.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
This sounds very much like a nut slot issue.
Quote:
Yes I agree the nut is the culprit. I would try one size larger as well. Recently happened on an electric I have. Larger string helped fill up the overcut nut slot in my case.
Thanks for your thoughts, and for your thoughts Jim also.
I don't want to go higher in string gauge. I should not have to change my preferred string gauge because a slot is too big, especially when the guitar is set up by Emerald for the string gauge that the guitar came with. Actually, I am going to be putting on lighter strings. I had an injury to my thumb years ago, and need to play with lighter strings. Before I put on the lighter strings, I'm going to take off the A string and look at the nut, then put the A string back on.

Before purchasing the guitar I told Emerald that I was going to be putting on lighter gauge strings, and they included an extra saddle that is a little higher in case I need it with the lighter strings.

If indeed it is a nut slot issue, what can be done about that?

Other than the high overtone issue, the X10 is very comfortable for me to play. Probably the most comfortable guitar I have every played.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

First I would wait for response and recommendations from Emerald. Its new and should not need anything but it’s happened to me a few times. Usually a string change handles it. Sometimes a little nut filing by a competent luthier is needed.
Patience and the process of elimination.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
First I would wait for response and recommendations from Emerald. Its new and should not need anything but it’s happened to me a few times. Usually a string change handles it. Sometimes a little nut filing by a competent luthier is needed.
Patience and the process of elimination.
Thanks Steve. Are you recommending that I wait to change the strings until I chat with Emerald?
Old 01-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

No I would try smaller and larger to see if it relieves the condition. I see no harm in strings changes up or down a few sizes. If the larger string relieves it that lends to the theory the nut slot is slightly over size for the string size you requested or they fit for as standard.
On the electric it happened to me on, going to a slightly larger B string cured the problem. Thats why I'm guessing its overcut and the string is buzzing in the top side of the slot. Its also possible its undercut and not sitting all the way in the slot. Up or down a few hundredths can make a difference.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

So what you're saying Steve, is to change the A string to smaller and larger and see if the overtone goes away, which will lead to more information. Kevin at Emerald says that the X10 comes standard with .11-.52 gauge strings. I will need to guess at what gauge the A is as I don't have a micrometer. It's probably .42. I asked Kevin or Chloe at one time what brand of strings is on the guitar but I didn't receive that information. Perhaps just by feeing and looking at the A string compared to a different A string I will be able to ascertain that the new string I put on is actually larger or smaller than the one it came with.

Last edited by KarenB; 01-01-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Thats what I would do and I see no possible harm in doing so.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Back when Sean worked at Emerald I asked what strings came on my 2017 X20 and he said they were D'Addario EXP26.
.011 .015 .022 .032 .042 .052

So your guess that the A strings is .042 is probably correct.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Guest 928

Before changing strings I would try a little graphite, maybe a #2 pencil, on the nut slot. Graphite is a common lube for nuts and can also change the way a string sits in the slot. I have no idea if this will solve the problem, but it is the easiest first approach.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber