The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Default 3-chord song (finger picking)

Not too long ago, I believe someone on this forum brought up the idea of trying to write a song with a maximum of 3 chords. Although it's been a little while, that concept stuck with me for some reason, and a song came to me without a guitar in hand. I worked it out and it originally had 5-6 chords, but I tried to simplify with only 3 that shared some of the same characteristics as the original chords. Anyway, I actually thought it ended up better that way. I guess that's why you could say so many songs are relatively simple. Anyway, hope you enjoy should you choose to listen:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9386534
Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi godinfan . . . your "3 Chord Song" was really nice and well performed. I enjoyed listening!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Goes to show there are still songs to write with C, F and G! Well done.

BTW - You have an annoying buzz or rattle on your 3rd string...high fret, worn nut slot, or not enough neck relief, but it should be easy to fix.

The thread you were probably referencing was a challenge to improvise from either 3 notes or 3 chords given by another player. Three or four people took up the challenge but then it just died! It was an interesting exercise.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:03 PM

My thanks to y'all for taking the time to listen. I appreciate it. On the string buzz thing, yep, I like the action low... and it's a little too low when I pluck too hard and don't focus enough on the individual notes I'm playing and let them ring out, etc. Could've done a better job on the delivery; it was a first take. I was focused on "solving" the song and getting the concept recorded, but maybe I should, in fact, think about revisiting the action on my guitar.

And, yeah, that's the thread I was thinking of. Glad it wasn't just my imagination. I would have participated, but time is hard to come by. Work pretty long hours and have a little one, so I'm lucky when I get a chance to lay something down once a month. More guitar playing goes on in my head these days than in reality, but I'm content with the sacrifice. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Very nice little ditty! The melody (or should I say progression?) is catchy and warm!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Very nice! Love the picking - kind of reminds me of John Hurt once in a while. Some very nice little melodies you have, quite a nice tune!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell