The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-09-2020, 11:45 PM

Default Low volume output on Shure SM58?

Have a SM58 that I am trying to record my acoustic guitar with that goes through a Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface into my DAW. I am playing 3 inches away from the SM58 but the input levels aren't really high even when I crank the gain up on the audio interface.

I don't think the audio interface is the issue here as the electric guitars seem to work fine. Are there any solutions to this or would my best bet be to get a condenser microphone like the AT2020 / AT2022?
Old 06-10-2020, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

You can use something like a Cloudlifter with your SM58 or you can go to a condenser which will give you a stronger output. You'll likely get better results with the condenser.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-10-2020, 12:49 AM

That looks pretty interesting though cost wise would probably the same as getting a new AT2020 condenser mic. I will keep that option in mind, Thanks.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Have a SM58 that I am trying to record my acoustic guitar with that goes through a Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface into my DAW. I am playing 3 inches away from the SM58 but the input levels aren't really high even when I crank the gain up on the audio interface.

I don't think the audio interface is the issue here as the electric guitars seem to work fine. Are there any solutions to this or would my best bet be to get a condenser microphone like the AT2020 / AT2022?
My experience tell me that you either have a faulty or fake SM58 or your audio interface is junk. Behringer is not something I think of as a quality product, so I probably would look there first.

Peace

Last edited by Rille; 06-10-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:54 AM

Make sure you are using an XLR to XLR cable and are not plugging the microphone into a 1/4" jack.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:41 AM

Dynamic mics are always quieter than condensers; condensers have "pre-preamp" circuitry built into them. There's probably nothing wrong with the mic, and a Cloudlifter (an outboard pre-preamp) should fix you right up. Don't be put off by the fact that the Cloudlifter costs more than the mic, both that and the 58 are things you'll probably use forever.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2020, 01:13 AM

If your microphone, cable and audio interface works normal, you shouldn't need anything else. I do believe that many great recordings have been made with the SM58 throughout the years.

Peace
Old 06-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think the audio interface is the issue here as the electric guitars seem to work fine...
The guitar D.I. input bypasses the microphone preamp circuitry.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'm not a circuit designer, but I'm pretty sure that in most interfaces, and in high-end standalone mic pres as well, the mic input and the DI share almost all of the preamp circuitry.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if the OP came back to clarify how he was connecting the microphone.

Last edited by egordon99; 06-11-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:47 PM

Hey folks, the SM58 is going direct into the audio interface (which is powered off USB) via a XLR cable.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey folks, the SM58 is going direct into the audio interface (which is powered off USB) via a XLR cable.
Do you have the channel set to line or instrument? It should be instrument.
Do you have the pad button engaged? It should not be engaged.
Either of those things could be the issue.

I don't know what the max gain is for the preamps on that interface but if you're set to instrument and the pad is disengaged, then barring something being broken, your interface just doesn't produce enough gain for that mic. I think you'll be better off with a condenser anyway. The SM58 is more useful as a stage mic than a recording mic. If you're going to be recording vocals as well as guitar, you'll want a large diaphragm condenser. The AT2020 could work for you. If you're recording solo guitar only, a small diaphragm condenser can work but my experience with lower budget SDCs is that they almost always sound too bright and quite harsh. If there are exceptions to that rule, I'm sure some here can point you towards them.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-11-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rille View Post
My experience tell me that you either have a faulty or fake SM58 or your audio interface is junk. Behringer is not something I think of as a quality product, so I probably would look there first.

Peace
I have a number of Behringer products, including a UMC404HD audio interface, and it has no problem with any mic I have, including my SM58. Years ago Behringer had quality control problems, but today's products are quite good.

As someone said, make sure your using and XLR-XLR cable. If you can, borrow another dynamic mic and see how it does. And, yes, counterfeit SM58s abound, and Amazon and eBay have both been guilty of selling them.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-12-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm not a circuit designer, but I'm pretty sure that in most interfaces, and in high-end standalone mic pres as well, the mic input and the DI share almost all of the preamp circuitry.
I'm no expert either and I also think they do share some circuitry. But I don't think we'd need D. I. boxes that step down both voltage level and impedance and also balance the signal if there wasn't a critical need to do so before hitting the mic preamp circuitry.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
... I don't think we'd need D. I. boxes that step down both voltage level and impedance and also balance the signal...
That's not what balancing is about. "Balancing" means temporarily turning a hot + common signal path into a hot + cold + common signal path, cold being opposite in polarity to hot, to get it noiselessly from point A to point B. Whether point A is a mic and point B is a preamp, or point A is the output of a recorder and point B is the input of a mixing console, or whatever.

Inside the individual units of audio gear, the balanced input gets unbalanced, the unit does whatever it does, then the signal gets rebalanced on the way out. When you read about the transformers in classic analog gear, that's what the transformers are doing -- unbalancing on the way in and rebalancing on the way out.

A lot of modern gear accomplishes these things without transformers, and there are opinions on which way is better. No question, though, about which way is cheaper.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD