The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-03-2020, 12:02 PM
Guest 33123

Default NGD with pics! 2019 National Triolian 12 Fret in walnut burst

Hi guys,

NGD here at my house. I just received a 2019 National Triolian 12 Fret in walnut burst. It's a reproduction of the early 30s W series Triolians. It's in untouched condition and it sounds awesome.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-04-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:15 PM

That's awesome. Classic finish. Sounds like it was used from the way you described it. If so, that's one clean guitar!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
That's awesome. Classic finish. Sounds like it was used from the way you described it. If so, that's one clean guitar!
It's actually 2019 NOS. It was in storage at the shop so it has never been played by anyone other than Grant who set it up before shipping it to me!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:37 PM

Congrats J-Doug on picking a great National. When National gave me an artist deal the first model I had built for myself was based on your guitar. I love it, and it's the one I gig with the most. I use acoustic guitar light strings on it and mine has a highlander internal biscuit pickup and preamp, and a flatbucker magnetic taped to the top. I mostly use the flatbucker live!

Here it is with the flatbucker into a dirty amp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJTOLHiw_Fs

here it is with just a microphone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKmM-VIBdFA

Last edited by rockabilly69; 04-03-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats J-Doug on picking a great National. When National gave me an artist deal the first model I had built for myself was based on your guitar. I love it, and it's the one I gig with the most. I use acoustic guitar light strings on it and mine has a highlander internal pickup in under the cone, and a flatbucker magnetic taped to the top. I mostly use the flatbucker live!

Awesome Dan!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Awesome Dan!
How are you liking the action on yours? If I recall correctly, you wanted to use yours for fingerpicking like you would an acoustic guitar.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:03 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
How are you liking the action on yours? If I recall correctly, you wanted to use yours for fingerpicking like you would an acoustic guitar.
The action is very nice for fingerpicking feel wise. I'll put it on the work bench to see what the measurements are. I asked for 6/64th" low E and and 4/64th" high E at the 12th fret and ~.006" relief at the 7th fret. I also asked for the nut to be as low as it could go. I don't play slide (because I suck at it).
Old 04-03-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Dang. The production value on the first vid is pretty shocking. Feels very much like I'm right there, but also beautifully "filmed". Those guys did a heck of a job.

The performance is also off the hook. Killer tone for bare fingers. You've inspired me to try 12s on my brass singlecone.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:23 PM

Sounds like they did a great job setting it up for you. I do more fingerpicking on mine than anything, and that's what these things really excel at. I just think it's a great alternative tone when compared to an acoustic guitar. I go back and forth between bronze and nickel guitar strings, and that will be something you'll have to try for yourself. I think I like slide better with the nickel, fingerpicking with the bronze. It's funny how people always associate a National with slide but many people just do what you are doing and like them because of their volume and tone. Many of my performances have been recorded, and in those recordings, whenever I switched to a National on stage, I always like what they sounded like compared to my acoustic. Just bigger and fatter
Old 04-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

NGD here at my house. I just received a 2019 National Triolian 12 fret in walnut burst. It's a reproduction of the early 30s W series Triolians. It's in untouched condition and it sounds awesome.

Doug, That Is Beautiful--Enjoy! I love the darker shading around every feature!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

She's a beauty, Doug! Play in good health
Old 04-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for all the kind words guys!
Old 04-03-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It's actually 2019 NOS. It was in storage at the shop so it has never been played by anyone other than Grant who set it up before shipping it to me!
That don't have a dusty yellow one with the Hawaiian scene lying around do they?
Old 04-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
That don't have a dusty yellow one with the Hawaiian scene lying around do they?
Give Grant a call! https://www.12fret.com/
Old 04-03-2020, 05:50 PM
Guest 33123

Forgot about this pic. Embroidered National patch on the case lid. Nice touch IMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments