The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
Model O for sale on the steel guitar forum. It’s a 2001, asking 1600.
Ha! Already sold! Despite owning a Style N, which is the identical guitar without the palm etching, from the same year, I was going to possibly buy it, and then consider selling the lesser of the two.

I've always wanted an O. So classic.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:32 AM

A friend of mine works at National. Every year he gets to build a personal guitar to take home. Each one is different and all sound great.

I would go to a shop with many different models, put on a blindfold, and have each one handed to me. Whichever sounded and felt right would be the one I-would get.

This technique worked for me when buying my first Santa Cruz OM. I played six guitars blind and went home with the one I liked the best.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
A friend of mine works at National. Every year he gets to build a personal guitar to take home. Each one is different and all sound great.
Just got to figure out how to get a job there. Three years should cover it.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-09-2020, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Know nothing about the resorocket - doesn't appeal to me.I had a Style "O" but too loud and too heavy.

El Trovador is nice but only 1 & 3/42 nut width. Estralita is similar with 1 & 13/16" nut.

Even though these are laminated wood bodies they are LOUD!
You don't need cutaways - plenty of notes for slide between nut and 12th.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Know nothing about the resorocket - doesn't appeal to me.I had a Style "O" but too loud and too heavy.

El Trovador is nice but only 1 & 3/42 nut width. Estralita is similar with 1 & 13/16" nut.

Even though these are laminated wood bodies they are LOUD!
You don't need cutaways - plenty of notes for slide between nut and 12th.
Never found a need to stop at the 12th. At least not on the first two strings. first string I can hit the 17th with no effort.

I used to own a Radiotone Bendaway with a cutaway. I also own an Epiphone ES-175. I don't find cutaways on acoustic depth guitars that useful. I end up taking my thumb off the neck to get up high anyway.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Never found a need to stop at the 12th. At least not on the first two strings. first string I can hit the 17th with no effort.

I used to own a Radiotone Bendaway with a cutaway. I also own an Epiphone ES-175. I don't find cutaways on acoustic depth guitars that useful. I end up taking my thumb off the neck to get up high anyway.
Hi Blue, its horses for courses and we all have our own styles, but I personally don't care for those notes way up there in the dusty zone - they just don't sound pretty/musical to me.

Its all OK.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Blue, its horses for courses and we all have our own styles, but I personally don't care for those notes way up there in the dusty zone - they just don't sound pretty/musical to me.

Its all OK.
I hear you. One of my favorite National players wears his slide on the wrong finger! The wrong finger being any finger I don't wear mine on! If he would take it as the joke I would intend it as, I would walk up to him after a show and say "Why do you wear your slide wrong?" He's an amazing musician with a repertoire deep and wide.

I find that I only really go there consistently with some Elmore James style stuff and some Hawaiian tunes. All that "Dust My Broom" twelfth fret stuff will often just cry out from some 15th and 17th fret stuff for me. Again. I'm not barring full chords. Just the first two strings. And yes a sour 17th fret note will give you bitter beer face.

But I will say I never capo up regardless of the original recording because I don't want to make it a mandatory move. I will capo if I'm having a hard time hearing a dusty old recording for learning the song. I once saw a transcription that called for tuning down a whole step, and then capoing at the first fret Yeah. I'm not going there.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
After you get your reso, you will soon forget that you went over your budget, because you got exactly what you wanted, and you're going to have a great time playing it. Congrats!
I ordered through catfish Keith. i got a wooden body reso rocket with figured mahogany, 4" deep body, black overlay on the split headstock, upgraded with waverly tuners, and had black binding installed on the body and neck and then upgraded with the hotplate electric plug in system and finished off in all antique brass.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Congratulations on your order! Catfish Keith is great to work with!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments