The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Default String spacing at the bridge

I've been playing a long time and I know my preferences well. For instance I prefer my acoustics to have a 1.75" nut (though I'll consider 1-23/32 in a pinch).

My main guitar for the last many years has been a 2002 Collings OM1-ESS. This guitar fell into my lap because it had a repaired top seam separation. At the time I bought it I would not have spent the money to have a near-mint version of the same guitar.

The specs of this guitar are my favorite across the board for a gigging guitar: 1.75" nut, short scale, big V neck, mahogany back and sides, and the K&K Trinity system installed. It also happens to have the 2-5/16" string spacing at the bridge.

Recently I happened upon a reasonably priced OM2H-SS with the 1.75" nut in relatively unplayed condition. Having just received a bonus I decided it was my time...I could finally have an unsullied version of my main guitar, albeit one with a torrified Sitka top and Rosewood b/s.

The guitar came in yesterday and it is exactly as described. Super clean, certainly not played much. The neck feels amazing. It sounds really good, though not miles beyond my current guitar. I assume it has some growing to do as it gets broken in.

The one spec I noticed immediately was the narrower string spacing at the bridge. Oof! I neglected to ask the seller so it's 100% on me, but I have years of playing guitars with more space at the bridge and this feels a bit tight to me. It measures at 2-3/16's IIRC.

I can play the guitar just fine and I could certainly get used to it. I didn't realize how sensitive I had become to this particular spec. It's almost like looking down at an electric guitar.

I haven't measured the neck width at the body but based on the string spacing I am guessing the neck itself is a little narrower near the body. Maybe that's an advantage, who knows.

Only one of these guitars needs to stay with me. They're redundant and I don't need a backup.

More to follow, I guess.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I always find it surprising how much seemingly tiny differences make a difference in feel. My Custom Shop D-18 has 2 5/16" spacing. It's the only guitar I have with that spacing, and if I haven't played it in a while i still find myself completely whiffing on the high e string at times.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion