The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-02-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
There are different stages of performing for others. There's the point where you do a song pretty good most times and attempt to do it for people. Another point is when you have the song down and you have played it numerus times for people where fear starts to turn to excitement. Eventually you come to the point where you are somewhat comfortable and start performing the song trying to get a reaction from an audience. That turns to actually performing a song to be entertaining. Then some come to the point of actually performing like a professional musician. Finally, there is the prospect of performing like a star or artist. That is where you have the vocal and your instrument down. Instead of rendering the song you focus completely on every note and syllable with purpose. Every note, thought and movement are done with purpose, dedicated to fulfilling the highest potential of performing the song and achieving its envisioned magic. Believe me that is work. Performing is a heroic self-reflection. Done well it's like standing psychologically naked on stage. People sense anything less than being true and real and honest. Few have the fortitude to even try to accomplish it.
this looks like a pretty good road map
Old 03-02-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
Do you mean you just find a park bench, sit down and play? I’m going to try that one day, but i get nervous just sitting here considering it.
Do you do this in a large city, or a small town? I wonder if there’s a difference.
I might try this, you’ve inspired me!!
Seems like you have a desire to do it... in that case...

GO FOR IT !

The only downside is you might become addicted to it.

During the non-rainy months, I mostly practice in public (yes, I did mention"practice"); it made practicing more fun for me.

I don't play very well; and, of the countless times I'm outside, I can count on 2 fingers the number of times people approached me to talk, if I don't count this crazy homeless person. They may or may not be listening, but I have overheard more than a few conversations about me.

Find a park that's not very noisy; bring a bottle of water. I play from music, so I also carry a mini tablet stand and tablet. Having a strap on your guitar is very useful even if you don't need it to play, it'll let you easily carry your guitar when you move about or need your hands to hold something else (like a water bottle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
It's more like I'm thinking people won't like the way I hold my mouth or sit or rock with the rhythm. Not to mention that I'm not good at either playing or singing. But it's not people right now, I mean I think I would like to share this with people some day, but for now it's just me and the dogs and I still can't let myself get lost in what I'm doing, if that makes any sense. And yes I do believe it creates a self fulfilling proficy. I can imagine how Joe Cocker must have felt when he started and I will never be a Joe Cocker, Lol.
I learned from a while ago that if I wait until I'm "good" (and "good" was a moving target for me), I'll never do it.

If your wish is to play to more than your dogs, then make it happen.

Take baby steps.

Starting with a recording and post it online (or here on AGF). I've found the AGF to be a very supportive environment; at least we all know how hard it is to learn the guitar. You might be surprised how easy things follow after the first step.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:48 PM

The reason a lot of people don't play well is they haven't put enough time into it. It takes a lot of time to be really truly good at guitar. Years and years. The more you play the better you get and the more you realise you don't have enough years of your life to ever truly master every aspect of it. There would be enough to learn on guitar to keep me happy for multiple lifetimes.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:51 AM

So, the soul miss energy and self:
I feel a need for professional (psychologic) help here.
Keep playing the guitar though !
Old 03-05-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Seems like you have a desire to do it... in that case...

GO FOR IT !

The only downside is you might become addicted to it.

During the non-rainy months, I mostly practice in public (yes, I did mention"practice"); it made practicing more fun for me.

I don't play very well; and, of the countless times I'm outside, I can count on 2 fingers the number of times people approached me to talk, if I don't count this crazy homeless person. They may or may not be listening, but I have overheard more than a few conversations about me.

Find a park that's not very noisy; bring a bottle of water. I play from music, so I also carry a mini tablet stand and tablet. Having a strap on your guitar is very useful even if you don't need it to play, it'll let you easily carry your guitar when you move about or need your hands to hold something else (like a water bottle).

I learned from a while ago that if I wait until I'm "good" (and "good" was a moving target for me), I'll never do it.

If your wish is to play to more than your dogs, then make it happen.

Take baby steps.

Starting with a recording and post it online (or here on AGF). I've found the AGF to be a very supportive environment; at least we all know how hard it is to learn the guitar. You might be surprised how easy things follow after the first step.

Somebody once put this quote in another forum...I love it:

(Regarding playing in front of others)

"If you don't think you're ready, you're ready. If you think you're ready, you were ready 6 months ago."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-05-2024, 06:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
It is my personal belief that when you play and you play well, you put a piece of your soul/yourself into it.

Bare with me as I try to explain this. And keep in mind that these are just my feelings, not fact, not anyone's truth, but mine. And I'm not sure I understand it.

I feel it's a bit like playing naked in front of whoever is listening. Or totally being your true unfiltered self in a very public setting. Being completely vulnerable and helpless. I'm not very good at putting my feelings into words, maybe that's a guy thing, I don't know.......

That's the fear of rejection.

As an introvert who never plays for others all I can say do what I do - play what you want to play and if you feel the urge, do recordings and post them up. If no one listens or comments on your playing, just chalk it off as constructive criticism and move on to the next tune, trying to get better each time.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write