The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-07-2024, 09:07 PM

Default Why do some use an Fmaj7 in Imagine

by John Lennon on guitar? To me it doesn't even sound right. I'm pretty sure it's an F major in the original piano is it not?
Old 02-08-2024, 12:09 AM

Well it starts of with a C chord which then effectively becomes a Cmaj7 because it moves up to a B with a C bass... then it moves to F which isn't an Fmaj7.... so is that what you mean?
Old 02-08-2024, 03:46 AM

You're right it's a plain F major in the original, but maybe some players just like the sound of Fmaj7? IOW, if you want to know why they do it, you just need to ask them! (I'm guessing they think it adds a "wistful" effect that they think benefits the theme.)

If you don't like it, that's fine. I agree, personally, I would just use F; if it was good enough for Lennon, it's good enough for me. I.e., the one beat of Cmaj7 before the F - and that little A-A#-B line on the F leading back to C - has all the charm necessary. Anything else is over-embellishing it. The sentiment is very direct and straightforward, after all. Don't fancy it all up by showing off how well you know your maj7 chords...
Old 02-08-2024, 11:17 PM

Being a piano-based song there are a few things that don't translate so well to guitar.

The C and F chords in the verse rock back and forth to a C note on bottom. On the piano you can keep this going while adding low C and F notes.

In the next section you have F, Am/E, Dm, and F/C. The Dm adds the 7th just before the F/C. Then you have G to C to G7 while keeping a G note on the bottom.

The F, G, C , E section rocks between all the root notes on the bottom while the C and E chords add the major 7th (B) and 7th (D) on top respectively.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
by John Lennon on guitar? To me it doesn't even sound right. I'm pretty sure it's an F major in the original piano is it not?
Because when played the way that John Lennon wrote it, there is actually a Cmaj7?

But don't take a guitar player's (who doesn't read or write tab or standard notation) word for it. Nate knows better:

HE
Old 02-09-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Because when played the way that John Lennon wrote it, there is actually a Cmaj7?

But don't take a guitar player's (who doesn't read or write tab or standard notation) word for it. Nate knows better:

HE
Why does he know better? I watched his vid and it backs up what I already said. However the original question was about an Fmaj7 not a Cmaj7 and there isn't an Fmaj7

Last edited by Mr.Thumbpick; 02-09-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Thumbpick View Post
Well it starts of with a C chord which then effectively becomes a Cmaj7 because it moves up to a B with a C bass... then it moves to F which isn't an Fmaj7.... so is that what you mean?

Yes that is what I mean. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Thumbpick View Post
Why does he know better? I watched his vid and it backs up what I already said. However the original question was about an Fmaj7 not a Cmaj7 and there isn't an Fmaj7
Absolutely! Thank you.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:23 PM

As always thank you for all your responses!
Old 02-10-2024, 08:44 PM

People use F major seventh because they like how it sounds.

You don't have to copy a songwriter's chords. It's fine to change a song to make it fit your style. Fun, in fact. And if you do it well, entertaining.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I play an Fmaj7 once in a while instead of a straight F when I think it sounds right and adds something.

I have never played John Lennon's "Imagine," however.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write