The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2024, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic group without backing tracks

I play acoustic in a group with three female singers and me providing accompaniment. On a few songs at gigs , I use a looper on a few songs to provide a little rhythym during a few solos and on a few songs, i use it to provide a beat i create on the guitar body.

The group overall aren't too keen on backing tracks. One of the singers and I played in a band together where we used backing tracks. It was alright but I think both of us like the organic sound of the guitar with a little looper at best.

I see many acoustic solos and duets in my area using extensive use of backing tracks for their shows. I guess my question is are we losing anything by not employing backing tracks? I should mention we do covers and not original material (not yet at least). I enjoy placing my own acoustic take on the covers. I recently worked on a transcription from piano for acoustic and while hard to play at first, enjoyed the challenge.

Just looking to get some thoughts/opinions/advice from those gigging.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:30 PM

There is some middle ground here. I don't use backing tracks but I do use a Boss DR-01S. It can provide some organic sounding percussion like a cajon, bongos and shakers (as well as traditional drums sets). I don't use it on every song but feel adds a lot to my performances and can get the audience moving.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:09 PM

Acoustic guitar with three singers sounds like enough to me.

I say no to backing tracks. But that's just me. Others really like them.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:17 PM

Just so we understand the line up. Three female singers. Do any of them play an instrument? And then just you playing acoustic guitar?

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 01-31-2024, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic group without backing tracks

I always prefer to watch a group play live with no backing tracks. Whatever might be gained by the backing tracks does not equal the magic of genuine music-making.
As soon as I hear the backing tracks I think ‘karaoke’ and kinda tune out. I’m old and set in my ways, I realize. But I love live music.
Confession- I use a looper sometimes in solo gigs, just to play leads on instrumental verses. But never pre-recorded stuff.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
. . . I guess my question is are we losing anything by not employing backing tracks? I should mention we do covers and not original material (not yet at least). . . .
Yes. Reality. Backing tracks and loopers and drum machines aren't artists. They're artificial. A lot of folks want to hear what we can do, not what electronics can do. Folk players and fans are antli-phony. So are most country and blues fans. They value the real deal.

So I'd save all those fake gimmicks for the shoegaze and techno and karaoke and hip-hop crowds. Solo or in a band, I keep it real. If you hear it, someone played it.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I prefer to just play acoustic guitar anymore and need to employ a stomp box I bought years ago and also learn to play harmonica!

As for backing tracks, I was surprised/disappointed about a year ago... some friends of mine promoted a guy coming into town that they raved about bigtime about how good he is and how entertaining and I had to see him! I did go. Backing tracks for popular songs of yesteryear. He was def good. I think he played a Gretsch hollow body. Even played quite a few jazz chords and played good lead over his tracks. Adequate, above average singer. Stage presence bigtime, lots of b.s. and calling out people by name and popping jokes, some of who he had just met. A schmoozer. The redneck crowd ate it up, I tell ya. I'd rather see a guy with a guitar myself. But the general populace, I guess tracks are actually preferred because they sure went nuts over this guy. I would not take the time to see him again.

I also tend to think this guy is full of it. His story about how much money he makes gigging didn't add up. The people sure believed it, they tipped well.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Just so we understand the line up. Three female singers. Do any of them play an instrument? And then just you playing acoustic guitar?

They do not play instruments. Sometimes percussion. Just me on guitar
Old 02-01-2024, 12:57 AM

If you google images of -- for starters -- the Staples Singers, the Mills Bros. and the Ink Spots, you'll see a guitarist and three singers. You won't see a laptop or a phone or a flash drive.

Couch Standards
Old 02-01-2024, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Unhappy

If I was doing something like you, then, for me, the usp for the group would be great vocal harmonies. It would make us different from a standard "covers band". And I would arrange the covers to make the most of having 3 singers. On guitar, I would give the singers rhythm and pitch, but basically keep out of the way. No one should notice my guitar playing, it would just naturally support each vocal arrangement.

Anyway, that would be my approach if I was in your situation. Focus everything on the 3 voices - that is your usp.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 02-01-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:59 AM

In your situation I’d not use backing tracks. Three voices can have a very big sound and 3-part harmony impresses an audience. However, I’m a bit surprised at the negative feelings for any augmentation at all. It can be very cool, based on acts I’ve seen using it. And a looper is not a backing track per se: it’s a part or parts you played live right there in front of the audience, accompanied by other parts you also are playing live. People who do that well are also impressive. And as for groups like the Ink Spots or the Mills Brothers - that was a different time. More backing music for them meant having (and paying) more musicians and instruments onstage. Now it’s just a little laptop that’s hardly noticeable - and doesn’t forget the chords.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:50 AM

Gigging-wise, I can only relate what I have seen, my own duo not active enough for me to consider it a "gigging band", though we do go out and play. But the drummer from my geezer band is also a good guitarist and singer and has a duo, and they are quite good. They have been getting some work for years, but after adding an electronic "band" (drums, bass, harmonizer, the works) they are now turning down gigs for being more than they want to do.

I think an important point is that they charge the same fees as before, but now sound like a band. An easy to control band made up of "members" that don't take a share when the money is cut.

The general public seems completely OK with it. It may be the future...
Old 02-01-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
If I was doing something like you, then, for me, the usp for the group would be great vocal harmonies. It would make us different from a standard "covers band". And I would arrange the covers to make the most of having 3 singers. On guitar, I would give the singers rhythm and pitch, but basically keep out of the way. No one should notice my guitar playing, it would just naturally support each vocal arrangement.

Anyway, that would be my approach if I was in your situation. Focus everything on the 3 voices - that is your usp.
I 100% agree with you. I have been recommending that since day 1. I think the three part harmony is our niche. I'm all about being in the background, playing accompaniment and staying out of the way.

Oh, and lugging, setting up ad tearing down the gear...lol (the girls so help...some
Old 02-01-2024, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you google images of -- for starters -- the Staples Singers, the Mills Bros. and the Ink Spots, you'll see a guitarist and three singers. You won't see a laptop or a phone or a flash drive.
agreed! to that end, I'm trying to convince them to sing "Java Jive"! I love that tune.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:16 AM

Peter, Paul, & Mary did pretty well without backing tracks. So have Neil Young and others.

Personally, I'm not a fan of backing tracks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write