The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2023, 10:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I've got my eye on that Carl Miner guy. Every time someone posts about his playing I'm always checking out videos if any. I have my plate full though with my new finger style skill of using thumb and fingerpicks, playing classical and folk/Celtic music, otherwise I'd be dusting off my Fender mediums.

Great topic Bob.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-02-2023, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

A person can melodically finger pick as well. If I'm not mistaken Carl throws in a little highbred finger pick now and again.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-02-2023, 07:35 PM

Check out Beppe Gambetta. He only flatpicks, but often reminds me of fingerstyle in his approach. Many genres, some slow and melodic, some fiery, some showy, a real mixture. A great performer to watch live.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:33 PM

What I'm getting here is two different approaches to flatpicking - single note runs where a guitarist is taking his turn in Bluegrass with the other members backing him up as opposed to a single guitar player accompianing themselves playing the melody and supporting chords together
Old 04-03-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
What I'm getting here is two different approaches to flatpicking - single note runs where a guitarist is taking his turn in Bluegrass with the other members backing him up as opposed to a single guitar player accompianing themselves playing the melody and supporting chords together
Precisely, but the guitar player doesn't have to be solo. (As witnessed in the Hot Tuna clip below...)

You just have to consider which one you would appreciate more as a LISTENER.

So much of a song's feeling and character is implied by the chord structure and accompanying rhythm that it's a vital part of the enjoyment factor for me. When there are other players filling the accompaniment role then "solo picking" is fine.

If it's a single player sitting in front of me then just hearing a solo doesn't satisfy my needs as a listener.

The perspective as a PLAYER can be totally different, and sitting in a chair and playing flatpicked solos would be fine.

Adding bass (acoustic or electric) is extra icing on the cake for me. I can appreciate the "total package" of melodic picking style when Jorma Kaukonen plays with Jack Cassidy sitting beside him on bass. (Throwing Barry into the mix doesn't hurt...)

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-03-2023 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies folks, I’m glad there are similar viewpoints. I love to combine flatpicking and fingerstyle in my daily playing. It keeps it refreshing.

I’ll never have a lot of speed with flatpicking and part of what draws me to players like Carl Miner is that he really engages the listener with such rich tone and ringing notes.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-08-2023, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Check out Beppe Gambetta. He only flatpicks, but often reminds me of fingerstyle in his approach. Many genres, some slow and melodic, some fiery, some showy, a real mixture. A great performer to watch live.
Roberto Dalla Vecchia is another Italian player you should check out.

D
Old 02-11-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
In a way, the this describes the chord melody approach that jazz players have used since at least Eddie Lang. Solo here:

https://youtu.be/jjwE_fblwVo?si=gFnxzdQMiqr_43D3

And duo here. Notice how even with Babe Signorelli’s piano accompaniment, Lang throws in chordal stabs:

https://youtu.be/EKvrcRCzPiM?si=rFiMzqLj_id-NjJd

And before he went to fingerstyle on the seven string, George Van Eps developed his flatpick approach to a stunning level:

https://youtu.be/V8yjIjxTdyc?si=HfcMZNgNoPHhHyle

And of course, this stuff translates well to dreadnoughts, as Mimi Fox shows here, including some hybrid picking:

https://youtu.be/_O_-QlB06oc?si=O5CeNMBiqui8borL

And Tony Rice does here:

https://youtu.be/cKgnGn1qNlY?si=5fKTrd96_RIQgHjH

And add me to the list of those hoping for a Carl Miner LP. He’s brilliant.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:35 PM

Your right, Carl has a nice style. He isn't exactly flatpicking. He's hybrid picking — a fingerstyle that uses a flatpick plus the middle and ring finger.

For flatpicking that isn't bluegrass, listen to some of the jazz gods, starting with Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, and Joe Pass. Then check out some of Jerry Garcia's acoustic noodling, especially with Dave Grisman. Then give a listen to some Doc Watson and Norman Blake.

None of them strictly played single notes, of course — few do — but they all sported some astonishing single-note riffs and runs.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Watching this video of flatpicking virtuoso Carl Miner play one of many beautiful arrangements on Youtbue of his playing makes me want to add this style of playing to my acoustic journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45RGiM_8-7g&t=59s

But it seems often if you want to become a proficient flatpicker, the default route is bluegrass style playing which is not really my preference in music. At this time, I am really enjoying working through Eric Skye's fiddle tune course on Homespun so next I'm hoping I can find some instructional material or arrangement similar to the style Carl is playing here which I am calling solo melodic flatpicking.

I do have a couple of the Flatpicking Essentials course books but again, they seem more rooted in bluegrass style playing and material.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Very nice!

Any idea what the make of guitar that is? Kind of looks like one of those composite guitars? I can't make out the name on the headstock.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Your right, Carl has a nice style. He isn't exactly flatpicking. He's hybrid picking — a fingerstyle that uses a flatpick plus the middle and ring finger.
Exactly, though in the 1st video he mostly uses his pick.

Quote:
For flatpicking that isn't bluegrass, listen to some of the jazz gods [...]
Better call them cats or we'd not be allowed to discuss them on here, but yeah. Watch any video of Jonathan Stout playing solo, to see a modern player firmly rooted in early 20th C traditions. It never ceases to amaze me how he coaches all those notes out of the guitar with just a single pick which looks way "too lazy" for what I'm hearing.

Here's another out-of-this-world player:

(He reminds me a lot of how Tony Rice is playing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITNNKA8d2tg, and of the stylus phantasticus of another era)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Exactly, though in the 1st video he mostly uses his pick.

Better call them cats or we'd not be allowed to discuss them on here, but yeah. Watch any video of Jonathan Stout playing solo, to see a modern player firmly rooted in early 20th C traditions. It never ceases to amaze me how he coaches all those notes out of the guitar with just a single pick which looks way "too lazy" for what I'm hearing.

Here's another out-of-this-world player:

(He reminds me a lot of how Tony Rice is playing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITNNKA8d2tg, and of the stylus phantasticus of another era)
I’d love to know what mic Julian is playing into, his guitar is not plugged in. I’m guessing a ribbon?
Old 02-17-2024, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Please Delete

Last edited by dhodgeh; 02-17-2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’d love to know what mic Julian is playing into, his guitar is not plugged in.
Maybe ask via a YT comment? But wouldn't a ribbon be vertical rather than pointed at the guitar?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-17-2024, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Very nice!

Any idea what the make of guitar that is? Kind of looks like one of those composite guitars? I can't make out the name on the headstock.

McPherson Touring

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write