The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Done with Guitar Center

Bought two guitars from GC, Yamaha AC3M and a Martin D Special Ovangkol. Their website says if you purchase the item before noon it may ship the same day, otherwise the next day...Both times, the guitar shipped two days later. First time I let it go, things happen. Second time I called and the rep said that high value items (note one guitar was under $1K and the other $1600) take longer to process
Funny thing is my credit card was charged within minutes.

I don't have a problem waiting, I do have a problem with false advertisement.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:09 PM

Unless they have an insane deal, I never even look at GC anyhow. I buy from the Classifieds or Sponsors here or sometimes Sweetwater. Sweetwater can be annoying with their "sales engineers", but they are generally good.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condition1 View Post
...Funny thing is my credit card was charged within minutes....
My pet peeve - not exclusive to GC, however - is that should you return one of said guitars, it will take several days before your refund re-enters your account.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM

I for one enjoy going to GC just to look around and be with like minded individuals, to chat and even dream at bit. One day either way is not a deal breaker for me. However if we all take the same no tolerance stance, GC will soon no longer exist.
It is refreshing to have Brick and mortar stores, so many are LONG gone. I would love to go have lunch at the Grant's diner counter again, Me and my Mom used to go every Friday evening. My Dad worked nights and it was a blast shopping, Looking and then Dinner. Something I wish I could have shared with my kids.

JMHO
Ed
Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM

I'm big on customer service, but honestly, if I'm told to expect 1 day to ship, and it's shipped in 2, I'm not gonna get all torn up about it...

Last edited by Denny B; 02-23-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I work in a customer service capacity and the main thing is to not over promise. If I tell someone, "it IS" when I should say "it probably" there is a huge difference. I never tell someone a "guestimate". That is not honest. In most cases it is a lack of emphasis on training customer service reps or sales folks, or even so-called clerks. It is a common malady with retail across the board.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I'm big on customer service, but honestly, if I'm told to expect 1 day to ship, and it's shipped in 2, I'm not gonna get all torn up about it...
Yes - would you rather have your expensive instrument packed shoddily and sent out in one day, or time taken to do it right and take an extra day. Sometimes there are many things to pack up on a given day and I'd rather err to the side of safety than speed.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:11 PM

GOOD, stop going to GC, that'll leaves more guitars for the rest of us

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Yes - would you rather have your expensive instrument packed shoddily and sent out in one day, or time taken to do it right and take an extra day. Sometimes there are many things to pack up on a given day and I'd rather err to the side of safety than speed.
I would rather them to pack and ship on the day advertised. This is bad business practice. As I said, waiting is fine as long as it is transparent in the transaction. A good transaction makes both parties happy. If they can't do on same day or day after as they advertise on their website then don't say it - that simple!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I would rather them to pack and ship on the day advertised. This is bad business practice. As I said, waiting is fine as long as it is transparent in the transaction. A good transaction makes both parties happy. If they can't do on same day or day after as they advertise on their website then don't say it - that simple!
I'd certainly stick with your plan of not doing business with them (or many other online big box stores) as you willl be constantly disappointed.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

If I order something expensive that needs to be shipped to me, I certainly get skittish if things don't run according to schedule. Personally, I would prefer being told it will take longer than be promised that it will arrive in some really short time frame. It is a case of expectations being set or met, or better yet, exceeded. If it will likely take two weeks to arrive, then tell me that. I won't be upset by that, but I will be very worried if I am told it will arrive this week when it will actually take two weeks.

If the seller really did believe it would take a week, and then finds out that there was a hold up, then tell me. I want to know what to expect, and updates certainly make it easier if the item is going to take longer than expected to arrive. Maybe for many organizations, the employees don't have the time to take to keep a customer up to date on these things. If that is the case, and items typically arrive later than expected, I will either have to accept that as part of doing business with that seller, or go somewhere else.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Bought two guitars from GC, Yamaha AC3M and a Martin D Special Ovangkol. Their website says if you purchase the item before noon it may ship the same day, otherwise the next day...Both times, the guitar shipped two days later. First time I let it go, things happen. Second time I called and the rep said that high value items (note one guitar was under $1K and the other $1600) take longer to process

Where's the false advertising?

You said that GC website says that it MAY ship the same day.... The next day wording could also be open to debate, depending on POV. I am usually on the other shoulder, but, just playing D's A, here.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I've been buying my mic's from Sweetwater and years ago I bought my Seagull from them as well. They call you on some things as a follow up and always email you. I was hesitant to answer their call the first time they called me, but my rep (Christian) is very relaxed and not a pushy salesman at all. I had to return something and he sent me the return label via email promptly and the return went easy. I was just window shopping their guitars just now as a matter of fact. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a large ticket item from them at all.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've been buying my mic's from Sweetwater and years ago I bought my Seagull from them as well. They call you on some things as a follow up and always email you. I was hesitant to answer their call the first time they called me, but my rep (Christian) is very relaxed and not a pushy salesman at all. I had to return something and he sent me the return label via email promptly and the return went easy. I was just window shopping their guitars just now as a matter of fact. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a large ticket item from them at all.
Yeah, great experience with Sweetwater. I bought a leather strap Thursday and short after I received a call from Sweetwater asking if I had any questions, informing when the item was going to be shipped and approximate delivery time. That was a terrific customer experience.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:

It is always good to review the policies of a retailer prior to purchasing. GC has several different options regarding ordering and shipping time which are stated "here", however their shipping policy also contains several disclaimers shown below:
Quote:
Shipping and Delivery Times
Your order will ship based on the time it is placed and the shipping option you choose. Some orders may be held for verification, which may impact shipping times.
and
Quote:
Estimated delivery times apply from the time your order is placed.
Shipping may take longer than expected on items coming from a Guitar Center store.
Their same day shipping policy states it applies to purchases before 2pm EST time for stores, and 5pm EST for what I suppose is their DC(s), and there is no mention of 12 noon on their policy page (though this display may be customized by the time zone where you are located) You had your expectations of delivery dates, however their policies clearly allowed them the discretion for the longer than expected shipping time. It's not what you expected, therefore you are dissatisfied with the experience.

Lastly, I learned their policy also includes the transfer of title , which I was not aware of.
Quote:
Title to Products Shipped
All items purchased from Guitar Center are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items passes to you upon our delivery to the carrier.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-24-2019 at 09:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic