The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Plek convert - and shout-out to Baltimore Music

I am an old dog.

The last new trick I learned was the Tone-Rite. While heavily debated on this and the old Collings Forum, I drank the Kool-Aid about 16 years ago when I bought an adi-topped Collings CJ. I will go to my grave insisting that the Tone-Rite was a HUGE factor in opening up that guitar. To this day is sounds amazing.

Cut to the 2020’s and I’m hearing all about Plek set-ups. Just so happens that my favorite guitar - a 1942 Gibson L-00 - developed a nasty high E-string buzz due to fretwear (I play this guitar A LOT!).

A bandmate of mine recommended Baltimore Music, a fairly new shop located not far from me. I took a gamble and bought it in.

Results? Amazing!

Not only is Baltimore Music staffed by super chill guys, the luthier (Steve Blake) re-fretted my baby and then, armed with only his Plek machine, did the best set-up on any guitar I’ve ever owned. While a bit pricier than a regular re-fret, it was well worth the extra expense (understandable because, after all, these machines cost $100k!).

If you’re looking for any luthier work and you’re in the Balt/Wash/NOVA area, I highly recommend Baltimore Music - and especially Steve. The word must be getting out because, for a shop that’s been around for less than a year they seem quite busy.

For the record, I have zero affiliation with them beyond being a satisfied customer.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:31 PM

A well Plekked guitar is amazing. So is a well set up guitar by a tech who knows what they are doing. Congrats, a '42 L-00 is a great gutiar.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:19 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Good for you! Perfect setups are a game changer…whether by Pleks or techs or a combo of both.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:19 PM

Steve recently did an AmA on Reddit and revealed a ton of interesting info. If I lived anywhere near Baltimore I would take my guitars to him without hesitation. Dude knows his stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion