The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 05:13 AM

Default Medium-sized plectrums ?

Hi,

I am new to guitar and bought several packs of varigated stiffness plectrums. I settled down on the Dunlop black nylon 1mm as being my current ideal stiffness but would prefer a size midway between that and the Jazz III plectrum as they are just a bit large for my taste.

Anyone know what is available in the UK that would fit that bill ?

Thanks,

Boo
Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 AM

Several years ago, I found Dunlop Primetone picks and love them.
I started with standard size 1.0 picks.
Over the years , I tried and liked a bit heavier pick and moved up to 1.3 picks.

My next experiment was to try the large triangle picks with the textured grip.
These picks have become my go to picks now.

At first, the large triangle felt big but after using them for a few weeks they started to feel good.
Now the standard tear drop pick fells small and cramped.

The tone that this pick gives is very close to a Blue Chip for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I also like the stiffness nylon 1mms for a certain type of feel and tone.

First, have you tried looking at the nylon section of the Jim Dunlop site?

https://www.jimdunlop.com/products/guitar-picks/nylon/

The Flow shape might be smaller than the standard teardrop.

Dunlop also has a nylon Jazz III XL size you might like.

As far as the size/shape you're going for, maybe a small triangle might work for you. I recently tried the Gator Grip 1mm small triangle and I currently prefer them over my nylon Max Grips. It is slightly shorter and pointier than the standard teardrop, but wider. The 1mm Gator Grips have less snap than 1mm nylons, but you might like the .88mm GGs.

The Primetone small triangles are even smaller. The thinnest one is 1.3mm but I've had pretty good luck with them due to the bevels. No, they don't have the snap, but the bevels kind of make up for that. They sounds great strummed or picked.

Overall, I've slowly started to move back toward large triangles. For a bit of the snap and bevels, you might look at the Wegen 1mm triangles. The maker is based in the Netherlands so you'd likely have no problem finding his picks. A bit pricey, but I like them very much.

If money is no object, Charmed Life Picks' "Black Aerospace" material is brilliant. I have a 1mm large triangle and it has a combination of snappiness, tone, and feel that I think is superior to 1mm nylon. They have teardrops in .75mm and 1mm.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:22 AM

I've been on a pick testing phase recently. Primetone of various shapes and thickness, Ultex, Dunlop Grip, Fender Extra Heavy, V Pick, Big Dawg and a few others. My favorite by far is the Dunlop 207.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-06-2024, 04:19 PM

As someone else mentioned, you might want to consider the Dunlop Flow picks that are a little smaller than a standard teardrop but not as small as the jazz picks.

I find the standard flows with the hard plastic to be a bit clicky, but I recently on a whim tried these....

https://www.jimdunlop.com/rabea-mass...standard-pick/

and much prefer them to the standard flows. They are 1.0mm thick so they should feel pretty familiar since you've been using the 1.0mm nylons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion