The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-29-2022, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Podcast: Chatting about amplification

I'd almost forgotten that I recorded a podcast with Acoustic Guitar as part of their relatively new podcast series a while back. They just released it today. Haven't had the courage to listen to the whole thing myself yet :-) but if you want to hear me rambling on about pickups, etc, you can listen at the url below, or on Spotify, iTunes, etc.

I seem to be in good company, earlier podcasts are with Tommy Emmanuel, Happy Traum, Molly Tuttle and more. One fun tidbit about these is that Adam Perlmutter (editor of AG) composed the podcast theme song, and as far as I can tell, they're getting each podcast contributor to play it. I arranged the tune for fingerstyle and recorded it with a pickup (to match the topic). So that's the theme song on my episode. I haven't seen anything to confirm it, but in Tommy's episode, the theme sounds suspiciously like Tommy playing, and so on.

https://acousticguitar.com/plugging-...ast-episode-6/
Old 09-29-2022, 06:24 AM

Very enjoyable thanks for sharing!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Doug, I bought your whole series about acoustic amplification some time ago. I have learned so much from it and look forward to hearing what else you have to say in this new podcast. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and talent with us.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast Doug, a very interesting conversation. I don't play in situations where I have to plug-in guitar at present. I mic' my guitars at the local open mic and generally play/sing with no p/a at all for the odd local concerts/events etc.

I used to play in a 5 piece bluegrass band, and we would always single mic' - no matter the venue. The "monitor" was standing closer together if the barroom was noisy. And the "balance" was by moving in our out of the mic's field. I can set-up a p/a and e/q the room (for the single mic') but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. The most technical bit of kit I used to handle was an old set of velvet drapes that I could hang behind the band to stop the room noise bouncing off the wall behind us and feeding back into the mic'.

I think that if I did feel that I wanted to plug in then I'd be tempted to buy a mag soundhole p/u and fit it onto a dirt cheap small bodied guitar going into a small amp. Once I'd got the timbre I wanted I would then just mic' the cabinet and run that to the p/a if I needed to be louder. I think that is most likely to be the set-up that would suit me. But I don't really need to go there yet as I'm pretty comfortable with nothing at all, or just a mic'.

Your podcast has certainly got me thinking over stuff though.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up - I just subbed on Apple Podcasts... very much looking forward to this episode & more.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-29-2022, 01:30 PM

Sounds promising, will explore.

Thanks, D.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:40 PM

Oh I love some new podcasts, thanks!
Old 09-30-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Hi Doug,
Glad you posted about this. I was not sure of the "legality" of me promoting a podcast, but REALLY enjoyed listening to it, and learned things I *thought* I already knew!

Hoping to hear more in the future, as it was very enjoyable and productive.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification