The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Default Taylor/Fishman Prefix Pro Blend Question

Just checking with the group here for advice. I have a 2005 Taylor NS54-ce nylon with the onboard Fishman Pro Blend. The pick up sounds good to me but I'm getting occasional intermittent drop out. It either just cuts out and pulling the cord and re inserting brings it back, or sometime it's just loses power and distorts then comes back full or cuts out and it's pull the cord and reinsert. I'm going to pull the pre amp and the end pin jack and clean and inspect.

My question is assuming I don't find something obvious to fix is if the new non Taylor branded Fishman Prefix Pro Blend narrow body I can buy a direct swap? My current pre amp shows blend choices on the slider as "Pickup---SBT" and the new Fishman version says "Pickup -----MIC". So if I wind up having to swap I'm assuming I have a sound board transducer to maybe remove and the "mic" on the new Fishman system is actually in the body of the preamp?

I guess a second question is whether the old Taylor preamp is voiced for nylon vs steel or does that matter?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2022, 10:04 AM

I don't think the voicing is any different for those. So a replacement module should be ok there.

On the newer Taylor Nylons there is a difference. They have the ESN pickup which isn't like the ES system. It's a UST that uses the same controls the ES2 uses.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

I often have issues with various electronics. This is especially common in humid areas like here in Florida.

I would certainly try a good contact cleaner on the jack and perhaps the "pots" and switches in the pre-amp itself. There is a switch on the jack that disconnects power when you pull the jack.
Also make sure your battery contacts are clean.

Lee
Old 09-29-2022, 03:38 AM

I would also consider trying a new endpin jack b4 a new preamp. Since removing and replacing the cord seems to cure the Issue. Also the cord itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification