The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-22-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Joe, you are raising the bar. I am looking forward to playing your guitars!
Old 08-22-2022, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
The second guitar that I'd like to show you is the newest model to my lineup. I brought my very first "Venus" to last year's B.I.G., and Dennis...(aka CigarFan)
snatched her up within the first 30 minutes of the show...so I decided to bring another one this year.
The "Venus" is a 12-fret 00-sized guitar, and this particular one sports an Alaskan Sitka soundboard with a subtle, yet obvious quilt-pattern in the figure. The back & sides are made from a beautifully-flamed set of Tropical Mango
which contains a fantastically-brilliant chatoyance, as well as a little bit of spalt in the figure. This particular guitar is one of my most favorite guitars to date. It's hard to explain, but her smaller stature belies her strong voice.
She has the fundamental-woodiness found in a Mahogany guitar, yet there is a rich texture to her voice that, in some ways sounds like Koa...but not exactly. I'd love to get feedback and comparisons from those of you attending the show.
It's so comfortable and easy to play...This is truly going to be a difficult one for me to let go of!!!

I used the leftover Mango from the back plates to fabricate "tiles" which I used to create the inner rosette ring...then I framed the Mango ring with Paua Abalone. Just as you saw in the previous guitar, I've used Ebony
for the bridge, fingerboard and bindings...as well as the front and rear headplates. Highly-flamed maple was used, in conjuncton with aqua-colored veneer lines, for the purflings...and was also used to bind the soundport and soundhole.

THIS GUITAR! YES, THIS ONE! I'm beginning to think this Mango/Sitka double-0 is going to be the sleeper hit of the B.I.G. show. It's just off-the-chain great.
If you've ever tapped on a back set of this Indonesian Mango wood, it doesn't come across as anything extraordinary. In fact, it taps kinda dull. Like, you tap it, and it goes "duh. duh". Somewhat reminiscent of wet cardboard. Your first instinct would be that it wouldn't add much to the overall tone of the guitar, and maybe even detract from it a bit. Fortunately, it's just so dang pretty, it just begs to be made into a guitar.

THIS ONE! This little guitar sings like a chorus of angels. It exudes beams of sunlight from the sound hole, and moonbeams from the side port. Joel didn't just hit this one out of the ballpark; he hit it out of the county and into the wild blue yonder.
Everyone coming to the B.I.G. show, please do try to get a chance to play this guitar. It's very special. Barely even fledged, it's already developing the quality of legend.

Last edited by theEdwinson; 08-22-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:07 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Yes, I love me some Venus! A special model, indeed.

The line-up for this year looks fantastic Joel. See you in a few days!
Old 08-23-2022, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Joel, it’s always satisfying to see your work. I’m really liking the curly maple purfs. Very nice touch. See you soon!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-23-2022, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
THIS GUITAR! YES, THIS ONE! I'm beginning to think this Mango/Sitka double-0 is going to be the sleeper hit of the B.I.G. show. It's just off-the-chain great.
If you've ever tapped on a back set of this Indonesian Mango wood, it doesn't come across as anything extraordinary. In fact, it taps kinda dull. Like, you tap it, and it goes "duh. duh". Somewhat reminiscent of wet cardboard. Your first instinct would be that it wouldn't add much to the overall tone of the guitar, and maybe even detract from it a bit. Fortunately, it's just so dang pretty, it just begs to be made into a guitar.

THIS ONE! This little guitar sings like a chorus of angels. It exudes beams of sunlight from the sound hole, and moonbeams from the side port. Joel didn't just hit this one out of the ballpark; he hit it out of the county and into the wild blue yonder.
Everyone coming to the B.I.G. show, please do try to get a chance to play this guitar. It's very special. Barely even fledged, it's already developing the quality of legend.
Thank you Steve…for everything. I sure am glad that you’re not prone toward hyperbole

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Joe, you are raising the bar. I am looking forward to playing your guitars!
Thank you for checking them out, soma5…I hope not to disappoint you.
-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
Really nice guitars you’ve put together. Congratulations.
And getting to see all the guitars you builders have been putting together to take to BIG is such a treat. Thank you
Thank you NTS…I also like watching what the amazing luthiers around here have been working so hard on.

-joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Congrats Joel, that Bubinga guitar looks like it is on fire!

Sorry I am going to miss BIG for the 3rd time (Covid, Hurricane Ida, and my wife had to have back surgery last week (she’s doing fine)). I really would have loved to see you and Steve again and played your guitars.

Still loving my Edwinson, need to add a Two Hands creation in the future!
Hey Bob…You’ll really be missed at BIG, but I’m really happy your wife is recovering well. Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be ready too

-joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I'm loving it Joel. You know I think your headstock is elegant and wish I had the design chops to come up with a design that satisfying. Beautiful work all 3
Thank you John. I’m tremendously flattered because I’ve admired your work for a very long time. I humbly accept your compliment, though you can’t see that you’ve also made me blush bright red. See you soon.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-23-2022, 12:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Yes, I love me some Venus! A special model, indeed.

The line-up for this year looks fantastic Joel. See you in a few days!
I’m happy that you’re happy Dennis. I’m looking forward to visiting with you again.

-joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Joel, it’s always satisfying to see your work. I’m really liking the curly maple purfs. Very nice touch. See you soon!

Steve
Thank you Steve…it’s always an honor to get pleasant feedback from the luthiers who I look up to…such as yourself. See you (and Ryan) soon

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-24-2022, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yow!

Joel, you are ON FIRE…. Holy Smokes.

The woods and appointments on all three are just sumptuous! And I agree with John about the BOSS headstock design.

I doubt these will be going home with you…

Do have a blast

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-26-2022, 08:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

The woods and appointments on all three are just sumptuous! And I agree with John about the BOSS headstock design.

Do have a blast

Paul
Paul, I know this sounds like hyperbole, but it's not: Joel's guitars sound even better than they look. I know that's hard to imagine; but you've had some experience with Joel's guitars before, so you know what I'm talkin' about.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

Do have a blast

Paul
Thank you Paul…I’m pleased that you approve of these ladies…but I’m disappointed we won’t be seeing you at BIG.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-28-2022, 06:42 PM
Musical minimalist

!Wow - those are all outstanding - I love the way the maple purflings look!

All of the woods used are spectacular!

You also have one of the coolest headstock logos ever!

Old 08-30-2022, 06:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
!Wow - those are all outstanding - I love the way the maple purflings look!

All of the woods used are spectacular!

You also have one of the coolest headstock logos ever!
Wow fitness1…thanks for the compliments on the guitars…as well as my logo. I bought a really special flamed Maple board a while back, with the sole intention of using it for purflings. It has such a radiant chatoyance that it glistens like shell under finish.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-30-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Joel, very much looking forward to seeing you and these beautiful instruments!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-31-2022, 11:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Joel, very much looking forward to seeing you and these beautiful instruments!
Hey Mike…
Steve and I are on the road, and in route to the Lake Charles/Sulpher area of Louisiana…where we’ll be visiting with some good friends this evening. Then tomorrow morning we’ll get an early start on the last leg of our drive to New Braunfels…

I’m looking forward to seeing you and Samantha once again, as well as meeting your better half for the first time. See you soon.

-joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-31-2022, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joel (and Steve)
I can‘t believe I am going to see you and those beauties of yours and Steve in not even 2 days... looking forward to both !
Old 09-01-2022, 07:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Hi Joel (and Steve)
I can‘t believe I am going to see you and those beauties of yours and Steve in not even 2 days... looking forward to both !
Mañana Amigo

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop