The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2002, 05:41 PM

Default Goodall

Had the pleasure of finding myself in the area of Mandolin Brothers which has a reputation for being one of the best guitar stores in the NYC area. What a place!

Had always wanted to try a Goodall and they had plenty. The one that got me:
Goodall Concert Jumbo (ECJ)in Cedar top and Striped Ebony sides and back. Couldn't tell whether it looked better or sounded better. Anybody ever seen striped (Macassar) ebony? Unbelievable! My Taylors are great but boy this was one heckuva guitar.

If you are ever in the Staten Island area and have the chance to visit the store it's well worth it.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:35 PM

I love Macassar Ebony ... have one now with an Adirondack top ... never tried one with a cedar top, though.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:17 AM

Great store. Love going there.

Taylor 314ce w/ imix
Cordoba C10 Cedar/IRW
CA Bluegrass Performer w/ kk pure mini
Taylor Baby
Heritage Golden Eagle w/ Kent Armstrong PAF
Collings City Limits
Collings i35lc
Suhr S1
SVL 61 Reserve
Acoustic Image Clarus 2r
Raezers edge NY8
Supro 1600 Supreme
Fuchs ODS bassman mod
Glaswerks 1x12xl w/ celestion 12-65
Old 07-18-2002, 02:58 PM

Out in MN the best guitar store in the state is about an hour away, and I go there WAY too much. Anyway, I've played many a Goodall there, and I love 'em. If you like them, you should take a look at Petros Guitars and Collings Guitars . I like the Collings a lot; it's rough and raspy, like me.

bradley
Old 07-18-2002, 04:09 PM

Played a few Collings they had at Mandolin Bros. Quite nice. Had not heard of Petros. Pictures on the web site sure are purty.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:27 PM

Cool

I played the Goodall parlor with macassar ebony and an Engleman top and it was a wonder. The M ebony was nearly black with a tan/caramel striping. Beautiful instrument and sounds as great as it looks!
Unidentified Beater Classical
Old 07-20-2002, 12:50 AM

I used to have a Macassar Ebony/Engelmann Parlour ... but don't anymore. I loved it, but decided that the Parlour just wasn't for me. As it turned out, it was just that particular Parlour wasn't for me.

Just a few nights ago, my husband decided that he wanted to hear the ECJ ... I had forgotten how much it projects. It's not close to being broken in ... still a bit too much treble and a bit too harsh sounding ... but a wonderful instrument just the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification