The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJOHNS View Post
I too am looking for the right 00 14 fret. I have played the CEO-7 bit didn’t care for the neck width. I like the 00-18. Have not found a 00-28 anywhere to play. I am thinking about saving up for a H&D or Collings in RW for my 50th birthday. I have two years to save up!

I got to play a 28 in Flagstaff that really knocked my socks off. Man they are truly great sounding little boxes. Id defintely say seek one out to try it cause I think you'll be really impressed. 3000 is just too much for me to spend, especially on something thats going to be a workhorse. Cheers man
Old 08-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollySwagman View Post
Nice thoughts. Thanks man. What is it about the cedar top makes you feel its less durable? Ive never owned a cedar so I really dont know. Good to hear from someone who appreciates the maton stuff.

The cedar tops are a bit softer....

I bought the Maton SRS808 a few years ago after playing it acoustically only at the shop - I am 100% fingerpicker. It is a 'budget' model and I was really surprised at the build quality and playability/sound. Later, I saw a custom black EBG808 come up on a shop web page and I was there before they finished spelling the name. What a sensational fingerpicking guitar straight out of the box, ready to roll, more a 'mahogany feel' to play. It still has the same setup a couple of years on. The SRS808 got put in open G tuning and is just great for slide and the pickup!!!!

After being very pleased with the playability and the pickup system is easily the best I have ever played through - I decided to buy the top of the line factory built Maton 808 - The Maton Messiah EM100-808...rosewood/sitka, wood bindings..the works! Dripping with overtones and better for slower tunes, even DADGAD.

I looked at Artisan pages and I think of their stock, for you I would go either the Nashville or the Tommy:

Here are some Maton links for those interested. (no affiliation!)

https://artisanguitars.com/collectio...lian-blackwood

https://artisanguitars.com/collectio...ature-guitar-6

BluesKing777.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
The cedar tops are a bit softer....

I bought the Maton SRS808 a few years ago after playing it acoustically only at the shop - I am 100% fingerpicker. It is a 'budget' model and I was really surprised at the build quality and playability/sound. Later, I saw a custom black EBG808 come up on a shop web page and I was there before they finished spelling the name. What a sensational fingerpicking guitar straight out of the box, ready to roll, more a 'mahogany feel' to play. It still has the same setup a couple of years on. The SRS808 got put in open G tuning and is just great for slide and the pickup!!!!

After being very pleased with the playability and the pickup system is easily the best I have ever played through - I decided to buy the top of the line factory built Maton 808 - The Maton Messiah EM100-808...rosewood/sitka, wood bindings..the works! Dripping with overtones and better for slower tunes, even DADGAD.

I looked at Artisan pages and I think of their stock, for you I would go either the Nashville or the Tommy:

Here are some Maton links for those interested. (no affiliation!)

https://artisanguitars.com/collectio...lian-blackwood

https://artisanguitars.com/collectio...ature-guitar-6

BluesKing777.

Great thanks for the insight. Im keeping my eye out for a used TE, anything over 2k is really just more than I can afford right now. Give me a holler if you ever think of selling that Srs!
Old 08-13-2020, 06:20 AM

Im guessing that Bluesking plays blues so he might like the sound of a guitar some other picker might not. Of the ones mentioned so far Id pick the 000-28 except not being a Martin fan I like the sound of Halcyons better. Just saying for the OP's benefit.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Another strong endorsement of the CEO-7. Not everyone loves the neck, but if you do, it's a wonderful little guitar.

-Ray
Old 08-13-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im guessing that Bluesking plays blues so he might like the sound of a guitar some other picker might not. Of the ones mentioned so far Id pick the 000-28 except not being a Martin fan I like the sound of Halcyons better. Just saying for the OP's benefit.
Ha!

The name is 'BluesKing777' and I am the king of zip - the BluesKing777 name came from when I joined the Gibson Acoustic Forum in Feb 2011 after just buying my 2007 Gibson Blues King 00 (new old stock).....

Still have the guitar too!

P.S. .....a used one of these BKs could be worth investigating in your stated price range - add an Anthem pickup, perhaps?

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 08-13-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Martin 00-18. I play mine often and love it. Very easy and fun to play. If you purchase from a forum member you should be able to get one for at or under $2k
Cordoba Uke
Old 08-14-2020, 04:54 AM

Martin 00-18. End of story.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:38 AM

To me, easy decision --- Martin 00-18.

The Martin 18's are in the standard series for a reason, they are the standard. I think you would be hard pressed to find many folks who are disappointed with a 18 series purchase. The reimagined 18's are something special.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:38 AM

Thank you BK for that personal info. I think a fun thread would be what style of music we play. BUT I put too many 0's in my reply. What I meant to write was 00-28. Several people have mentioned the 00-18 and thats a good guitar too, its just farther away from the sound I like. Theres a guy on this forum, I cant remember his name, that has a fantastic sounding Santa Cruz 00 that is his sig model. It is out of your price range and mine too but just saying.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Thank you BK for that personal info. I think a fun thread would be what style of music we play. BUT I put too many 0's in my reply. What I meant to write was 00-28. Several people have mentioned the 00-18 and thats a good guitar too, its just farther away from the sound I like. Theres a guy on this forum, I cant remember his name, that has a fantastic sounding Santa Cruz 00 that is his sig model. It is out of your price range and mine too but just saying.
Eric Skye. Nice guitar. Nice player too.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 AM

Yes thats the one. I played 00's for a lot of years and most of them seem more like blues guitars but the ES is a guitar that goes beyond the seeming limits of a small guitar. If I could pay for one Id even be playing a 00 guitar. Ive moved to 000 guitars now.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 PM

Default 14 fret 00 size guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwittmayer View Post
Martin 00-18. I play mine often and love it. Very easy and fun to play. If you purchase from a forum member you should be able to get one for at or under $2k

This is what Ive been thinking. My main thing is that Ive been so accustomed to having a barn door pre, with mic blend and other adjustability(ie fishman problend, maton ap5, baggs anthem stage pro). Whatever I get I want to have the same setup eventually; I dont think I could cut ever cut a hole in the side of a standard martin. If I found a 00-1 I wouldnt mind doing that. These days most people talk of discreet pickups and outdoor pres and everything which is great, just not for me. I want the adjustability right at my fingers, not dealing with stereo signals from my guitar into expensive blenders.

Last edited by JollySwagman; 08-14-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollySwagman View Post
This is what Ive been thinking. My main thing is that Ive been so accustomed to having a barn door pre, with mic blend and other adjustability(ie fishman problend, maton ap5, baggs anthem stage pro). Whatever I get I want to have the same setup eventually; I dont think I could cut ever cut a hole in the side of a standard martin. If I found a 00-1 I wouldnt mind doing that. These days most people talk of discreet pickups and outdoor pres and everything which is great, just not for me. I want the adjustability right at my fingers, not dealing with stereo signals from my guitar into expensive blenders.

The closest I have to the Maton dual source pickup sound is my custom made 00 deep body with an onboard K&K Trinity dual source system installed, pickup + mic, but the controls need to be adjusted by little screwdriver through the strings..... Whether you like the guitar or not, a Maton system is just streets ahead of the rest, great controls at your fingertips, though the buttons are a bit small.... add the custom size Maton soundhole plug to your wishlist, face away from your amp or foldback and turn that internal mic up as far as you can before it screams ‘no more!.....that is the sound I like and want.

I would get on down to Artisan and tell them the same story, flash that $2k in front of their beady little eyes and see what you leave with! On their website, they have the Maton SRS808 AND another 808 with Aust Blackwood top, both at $1899.....

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion