The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Gram Parsons and Flying Burrito Brothers

Here's a simple tune to learn, though it's electric, I'm sure it would be easy to play on guitar (D G and C) and an inserted pedal steel guitar solo that probably could be transposed to acoustic guitar. An oldie but a goodie

Old 08-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Yup. Easy enough to play and sing.

I thought they were a fairly innovative country/rock bank back in the day and their music certainly was influential for a number of rising bands that saw a lot of commercial success. But The Flying Burrito Brothers were never able to achieve much commercial success of their own.

This was one of their better songs IMO

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
Yup. Easy enough to play and sing.

I thought they were a fairly innovative country/rock bank back in the day and their music certainly was influential for a number of rising bands that saw a lot of commercial success. But The Flying Burrito Brothers were never able to achieve much commercial success of their own.

This was one of their better songs IMO
I agree, just like Frank Zappa wasn't able to make commercial success, but the music is pleasing to listen to.

Back in those days, there was a lot of collaboration between individual in groups, Gram Parsons, Chris Hillman.

They weren't out to make a commercial success, they were out to make great music, which they did.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo is an excellent album by Parsons.

J
Old 08-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Man! I have loved Gram and his music since I first heard "The Gilded Palace of Sin", back in the late 60's... There is something about his songs that really resonates deeply for me, even if I don't have a clue as to what the song is about! I still remember thinking that the "sound" of that first Burrito Bros. record was "weird", somehow, not realizing that Gram was purposefully going for more of a Classic Country-type sound... Despite not really liking the overall sound of that record, the quality and impact of the songs, themselves, really got to me! I still love playing 'Hot Burrito #1"; it's just a GREAT "torch song"!!!

Loved "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" when it was released; still have my vinyl copy of that record... but, even to my (then) 17 year-old ears, something just never sounded "right" about a few of the tunes... now, of course, it's common knowledge that Gram had contractual disputes at the time and his vocals on several songs had to be "replaced" by McGuinn... who did a "less than inspired" performance on them.

Hearing the Rhino compilation was the first time I heard Gram's vocals on those Byrds' songs from "Sweetheart...", and all of a sudden, I was struck by how perfect they sounded with his vocals "where they should be"...

Both his solo albums remain in my "rotation" from time to time... and I still perform many of his songs when I play live... making sure that people know WHO Gram Parsons was!!! I have said many times that, if Gram had had just one more album of original songs, he's be in the Country Music Hall of Fame, easily... heck, he probably is in there anyway!?!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 PM

JSeth, interesting note you make about the Rhino version vs the published Sweeetheart of the Rodeo version.

I used to have that Rhino version, that used to be a Bootleg, wonder if it's legal to buy nowadays.

Gram was an inspirational performer, there's others as well, not sure if Lowell George falls in the same category.

I gotta look up Gilded Palace of Sin, haven't heard that album.

J
Old 08-05-2020, 02:12 PM

Back when Sweetheart of the Rodeo was released I was a dedicated Byrd's fan. I was beyond disappointed when I first heard that record. Going "Country" was simply something I couldn't comprehend. I liked rock music along with its blues, psychedelic and progressive variants; Country Music was just so square! How could the Byrds do something so lame?

Well, more than a decade later a friend introduced me to The Flying Burrito Brothers album The Gilded Palace of Sin. Wow! It was as revelatory to me as The Beatles Sgt Pepper's album had been for me back in 1967. I came to realize that my previous inability to appreciate Country rock was simply a stubbornly closed mindset cultivated by my own immaturity. Revisiting Sweetheart of the Rodeo and discovering all of Gram Parson's other music became an obsession for me. I was permanently hooked!

Soon realizing that Gram had passed on long before I ever came to appreciate his music was disconcerting. I had missed any chance of getting to see him perform. But as I pursued his music, through an incredible bit of luck, I ended up meeting people who had had close connections with him. I became friends with a couple of his Fallen Angels touring band members, even recording a couple of albums with the band's pedal steel player, Neil Flanz. I spent a weekend with Chris Hillman sharing music and listening to Chris describe what it was like to be one of the innovators of the new Country rock genre back in the late 1960's. What I learned from those folks and others was that Gram was not the most talented musician, but he had a visionary musical mind and was tremendously charismatic and energetic, a man that others could be inspired by and would follow. His legacy of influence among some of the best known artists that followed in his footsteps is legendary. He is probably under-appreciated by many casual country and rock music fans, but most of the best artists in those genres (and others) know who he was and the incredible influence he had on the music of that era.

As for Lowell George, well I did get to see him perform twice and even got to meet him, but that's a story for another time. Suffice it to say that he was a great musician and a charismatic performer whose influence continues today.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Funny, I literally just got done playing Hickory Wind, which is what I have been working on for a while. Great bittersweet song that is fun to play. And yes, Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a fine album!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 PM

CatDaddy, thank you for your post and experience.

GREATLY appreciated.

J
Old 08-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I did get to see him perform twice and even got to meet him, but that's a story for another time.
It's a story I'd love to hear sometime!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Here's some Dixie Chicken with EmmyLou and Bonnie Raitt

Bonnie Raitt and EmmyLou with Lowell George, Dixie Chicken (LIVE)

Old 08-05-2020, 05:11 PM

And in many ways the Desert Rose Band was the reincarnation of The Flying Burrito Brothers.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

That Rhino compilation IS still available and "legal"... wonderful "booklet" inside, and a lot of fine music from Gram's career... songs from "The International Submarine Band", his first record/band... and many of those songs are timeless, as are so many others in Gram's recordings...

I hope that Chris Hillman has gotten over being so bitter about his association with the Burrito's and Gram. Whenever I've read any interviews with him, I've been left with the feeling that he was bitter about a lot of things... although I didn't reallly think of him in terms of the "Artist's Ego" syndrome, I get the impression that he's still feeling that he and his contribution to so many great recordings has been downplayed and/or overlooked, and he's still upset by that. I always thought he was terrific and a marvelous player/contributor to the "whole" of whatever project in which he was involved... he brought his own sensibility into every recording I've heard from him...

There was a record that came out a while ago, "The Return of the Grievous Angel", a tribute to Gram's music with a whole lot of interesting takes on his songs by Chrissie Hynde (?) and a bunch of other, younger artists. It's definitely worth having, particularly if you are a fan of Gram's music... of course, Emmy Lou is "the Mom" of the project!

And Lowell George? Well, THAT'S a whole 'nuther" story!!! I certainly would not put he and Gram in the same category, not by a long shot... they were each quite brilliant, but in totally disparate ways...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-06-2020, 12:54 PM

I was in a group that played a benefit for Phil Kauffman, Gram's roadie and buddy, the guy who stole his body and cremated it out at Joshua Tree. (He had some legal fees ) The gig was out in the San Fernando Valley. We used the Burrito Brothers equipment, lol.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I hope that Chris Hillman has gotten over being so bitter about his association with the Burrito's and Gram. Whenever I've read any interviews with him, I've been left with the feeling that he was bitter about a lot of things... although I didn't reallly think of him in terms of the "Artist's Ego" syndrome, I get the impression that he's still feeling that he and his contribution to so many great recordings has been downplayed and/or overlooked, and he's still upset by that. I always thought he was terrific and a marvelous player/contributor to the "whole" of whatever project in which he was involved... he brought his own sensibility into every recording I've heard from him...
FWIW- Having spent some time with Chris back in 2013, I found him to be a very down-to-earth person, honest and plain-spoken, and in no way egotistical. He is generous in sharing his musical knowledge and in mentoring other musicians. While he takes great pride in his abilities as a multi-instrumentalist and singer, he doesn't wear that pride on his sleeve. He is a serious musician, and when questioned about his abilities will stress that he has worked very hard at those skills over the years. In fact, he is highly critical of his own early work with the Byrds, especially as a singer.

His love of music and his work ethic have served him well over the years, and I think the bitterness about Gram that I've detected at times in interviews that he's given has a lot to do with Gram's lack of discipline and Chris' ethic as a consummate professional. The visionary fusion of rock and country that happened during the recordings of Sweetheart of the Rodeo and Gilded Palace of Sin was as much a result of Chris Hillman's talents as Gram's. Chris matter-of-factly acknowledged to me that their songwriting collaborations were synergistic and exceptionally creative, and not only an equal partnership, but an amicable one. The fact that at the same time the Burrito Brothers were a notoriously poor live act while Gram was part of the band is something that Chris attributes to Gram's lack of dedication to his musicianship and was a big disappointment to him.

Chris has had the good fortune to have worked with some incredibly talented people over the years in addition to Gram: Roger McGuinn, David Crosby, and Stephen Stills to name just a few. Unfortunately for Chris, those guys were all capable of being the center of attention. Chris' laid back demeanor and quiet professionalism tended to be unfairly overlooked. I think he feels that way most acutely regarding his work with Gram, and it is compounded by the fact that he doesn't have the respect for Gram's musicianship that he has for those other musicians. I never got the impression that this is something that continues to bother him all these years later, but when questioned by an interviewer about those times the honesty and candor that are such an integral part of his personality give his truthful comments the sound of bitterness.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Hillman

I’ve followed Hillman from what seems forever! Moved to Ventura county back a few years ago and was in need of a guitar tech to replace battery in my newly acquired Ovation 1985 Collectors 12-string. Calling a local music store I was put in touch with Tracy Longo. We talked for awhile on the phone and I casually mentioned different genres and musicians and mentioned the Byrds. Well, it musta been that 6 degrees of separation, because Tracy told me to drop off some “stuff” I wanted signed because he was having lunch with Chris Hillman later that week! WISH I had a story like Catdaddy has, but I was over the top picking up my Ovation along with 5 personally signed CD’s and I printed out the cover of Notorious Byrd Brothers which he signed also.

There is a small museum in Ventura that had an awesome display of Mr. Hillman’s history along with a few guitars, etc. I’m not sure if the display is still there.

Anyway....good reads here....

PS I just found an LP I didn’t realized existed. I had a 1985 LP Titled EVER CALL READY. The album itself is awesome, but a first LP, Down Home Praise, was released in 1983 featuring the same members! How neat is that!

If you get a chance, I did two interviews with Tracy a month or so ago, including a tour of his shop.
https://youtu.be/QpQE-bmFs3w
https://youtu.be/JEc0px7f4Ik

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN